How do you feel about 9° bevel angle (vs the usual 15~20°) on Miyabi knives?

How do you feel about 9° bevel angle (vs the usual 15~20°) on Miyabi knives?

Is it actually useful in daily chopping or is it just a "meme?"

I hear they're pretty good for cutting garlic so thin that you can liquefy it at low temperature.

That would be actually impressive if he was push cutting only, instead of using a slicing action

For such a thin bevel, unless you only ever cut tomatoes/fish/jello/etc have fun with tons of microchipping and folding edges

Sounds like a good system

Just use a razor blade for that. When i was in the can for a couple years thats what our guy would do when he made his pasta sauce. He always used too many onions though.

Can you explain me how?

Yeah, someone please help the good fella out.

I have several myabis and I think they're over priced but absolutely useful for everyday work (at home). Not as good as a Shun by a small margin but absolutely capable of most knife work in the right hands.

The down side? They're rigid as fuck, meaning nothing in the Miyabi line is decent for deboning or breaking down at all. Great on vegetables, fruit or previously deboned meat...but don't expect to break down a lamb leg with one without fucking up your knife.

lol that's funny, you're a funny guy

>not investing in a set of high-quality Cutco knives

The plebians are real

>not owning a full set of state of the art Wusthofs with IceHardened™X50CrMoV15
I bet ur knife doesn't even have 3 rivets and a full tang

what you really need is a can soup lid. dice dice

My mom's Cutco knives have three rivets. They're currently useless from never being resharpened and put in dishwashers for decades.

Just send them in for the no questions asked lifetime warranty, they will sharpen, repair or replace them with knives of equal value

She doesn't want to be without them even though they're currently useless.

Send half now, half later

Or pick up a couple cheap knives that she can use while they are away, or loan a couple to her

She doesn't want to be without a single one of them and has been using the serrated ones for everything because the straight ones stopped working.

Call up a local representative, come of them do at home sharpening for free and you might be able to get them to trade them out on the spot if you explain the situation

Cutco aren't great but they do work pretty hard on customer satisfaction

Also, you should be able to sharpen the straight edge knives for her yourself

You can whet an edge, can't you user?

I can, but I don't live there, and I'm not bringing my pre-soak blocks. I've already told her all that stuff and that Williams-Sonoma does one knife per visit for free. She just doesn't care.

>a kitchen knife requires a full tang
Completely unnecessary.

>it would liquefy in the pan

Are you trogs still talking about Cutco ffs? Cutco is the Slap Chop of knives, basically a pyramid scheme with shitty chinese metal.

Someone needed to sharpen a serated edge, get a gouge stone.

>he fell for the Japanese water stone meme

what? Do you idiots just say "meme" with regards to everything these days?

It's actually a western brand. Aren't most Nip stones spray and go?

>basically a pyramid scheme with shitty chinese metal.

I agree with the first part, but Cutco knives are American made friendo

How much should I tip Cutco representatives when I don't buy their knives?

Just the tip.

Questioning the meme meme

I'd be amazed if the steel was American, but it could be. Regardless it's a scam on dumb Southern Americans who can't tell the difference. It's a multilevel marketing scam created to use paperboy kids to sell garbage to people in trailer parks.

>disgruntled former employee detected

No man, I just don't buy garbage blades that are some kind of teenage scam. Jesus. Get a grip.

type "cutco scam" into google, in case you're some form of unique autism suffering person.

Funny, what, like a clown? I amuse you?

Literally the only complaints I have ever heard about Cutco are from the people that work their about their business practices. The knives themselves are high-quality products. You seem unable to separate these two concepts and that frustrates me.

there*

shun is literally the standard in overpriced garbage, especially their super brittle VG-10 blades

Kohetsu, misono, richmond, tojiro etc all make better blades that aren't ridiculously marked up

They're just not. I've had that garbage in my drawer. They're fucking soft garbage. Do what you want, but Cutco is a disgrace for culinary knives. I swear they have lead in them, they're so sloppy when you sharpen them. Soft, leady garbage. Like sharpening a pencil on a whetstone.

>falling for the japanese knife meme
>buying that shit-tier japanese steel
>not buying top-shelf Henkel Stolgen steel blades

topkek

Sorry, I've actually put Cutco shit to a stone. It was 'clogging'.

Funny, I too own some Cutco and actually find them to be harder than my other knives. This is specifically why I didn't buy their fillet knife; the ting was too rigid for my liking. I think you just need to work on your sharpening technique there bud.

>sharpening a concave blade on a whetstone
>being this mentally challenged

buyer's remorse much? angry you fell for the big bad pyramid scheme? looking for mommy to give you a hug and promise to go after the big scary man with the knives for tricking you?
You get what you get cuck

I've been working Sheffield steel and German tool steel for 3 decades, you childish idiot. You're that crying nazi from charlottesville. Am I right?

any moron that uses the word cuck is 15 at best. you're just a dumb kid.

m...maybe...

JOKES ON YOU I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

thanks man, that made me laugh. Thank god there's humans left in this pisshole.

>says the person who believed I was actually retarded

lel this is fun

well, regardless, you're either brilliant or the dumbest cunt I've ever witnessed in decades. I want you to not be a stupid cunt. Can we do that?

Are you really just a boring night time piece of shit that I play with while you're too stupid to realize you're being toyed with? Wow. Just Veeky Forums moldering filth. Most of you stupid cunts should be better than this.. but you're not.

>Look ma, I'm smarter than Veeky Forums!

>Are you really just a boring night time piece of shit that I play with while you're too stupid to realize you're being toyed with?

Projecting much?

I too wish to be friends mr poopybreath

you people are like rest stop people. I don't even know how to deal with you. You're the people no one wants to meet.

>not realizing J.A. Henckel's Kramer and Miyabi marquees are Henckels accepting a complete, devastating loss to the Japanese and transitioning to a knife marketing company that sells knives made by Japanese manufacturers

>you people are like rest stop people. I don't even know how to deal with you. You're the people no one wants to meet.

This is exactly what I had hoped for. Thanks friendo, you're a real pal buddy. I came here to shitpost about knives but I made a real bestie tonight thanks to you :'^)

Yep, your shitposting is amazing. You're like that fucking tarded nazi. Keep going bro. I'm frying some potato and heating up a burger tonight.

>People seriously getting their fee-fees hurt on the internet
>the current year

whats the best way to sharpen my serrated cutco spatula knife?

lmao dude you got tilted this thread

Thanks! Make sure to post your creations later tonight! Maybe you can give me your phone number so we can hang sometime too and compare the quality of our knives?

>trying to sharpen a serrated knife

Just get a new one, user.

send it back to cutco friendo

Yeah, that's why I'm watching tv and cooking food. I'm so ragey. God I love having a fit.

Go watch tv you stupid fuck up. I'm watching reruns of SG1, making a burger and fries and watching you stupid cunts play with yourselves.

I'm making a burger tonight, want to see that? I'll pic it if you're bored as you seem to be.

>implying I'm bored

at least I don't shit condoms you faggot fuck-up. Now gimme dat delicious juicy burger

you type like a child would type. Why do you even participate when you know you'll be seen as a child?

>tfw OP
>tfw two fuckfaces shit up my thread and derail it completely

Vianna sausage lid is best.

Whwre have you been the pat few years?

Movie reference limit has been reached

Thats a big knife

I put my own edge on knives sl i dont care what the factory puts on them. Im not sure the exact angle i do, id guess around an 18° one

OK

Women, eh? Enough to drive a guy bonkers. I regularly sharpen my mother's knives, and the very first thing she usuallly does with them is cut some cake on a glass platter, or some shit directly on her granite countertop. It pisses me off so much.

It depends on how the abrasive particles in the stone are bonded. Some are splash and go, some need to be soaked beforehand, and some stones can even stay watered indefinitely so they are always ready.

Stop sharpening her knifes, then. I doubt she even asked you to.

>Stop sharpening her knifes, then. I doubt she even asked you to.
This.
Or, buy her a 4 or 6 stack of flexible plastic cutting boards that she can manage to lift up and tuck in the side of her dishwasher, so she is 1) never out of clean cutting boards resulting in using her counter, 2) not afraid to use one for cleaning, not wanting a wet one, or weight reasons.

Dang those Mercer handles look like exact copies of the Wüsthof Grand Prix I series, right down to that metal button. I always wanted one of those, but when I had enough money they had been replaced by the Grand Prix II series, with those ugly curved handles.

She actually didn't ask me, but occasionally I use those knives too.

I think 9° bevel angle is too low. Nobody nneds a knife with such a low angle and it gets pretty fragile. No wonder the Shuns are known for chipping. I have grown used to knives that have a little bit of resistance when cutting stuff and I actually prefer it to laser knives that just fall through stuff.

Mercer genesis series

>I doubt she even asked you to

Dumb argument ... the next time you bake a surprise cake for somebody you won't mind if he says "I didn't ask you for it" and then feeds the cake to his dog? Because that is just what this is.

If I bake someone a surprise cake and they feed it to their dog, I won't bake any more cakes for them.

Really? No takers?

Time to let it go already.

what exactly were you expecting? yes, it's a big knife ...? A 270mm or 300mm gyuto, I have few myself.