What are your thoughts on meditation?

what are your thoughts on meditation?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscience
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4049052
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it good

I meditate (mindfulness) for 20mins a day, also, sometimes do a quick 5-10min session just before doing something, to refresh my brain.

Forgot to add: yes me likey

>nofap
>meditation
what's next?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscience

It's definitely not a meme, but what you get out of it is very dependent on your state of mind and goal while doing it.

Be one of those guys who does mindfulness to improve his focus and attention, maybe his intelligence too, hope for better performance at your job, lower your anxiety a little bit, then yeah that's what you're gonna get eventually but sitting there trying to focus on your breath with all that in mind is gonna leave you impatient and scatterbrained.

Do it not as a health supplement but as a genuine attempt to comprehend the existence of yourself in this very moment, without worry about your ego, improvement or even your life, to let the will of the neocortex surpass any and all other parts of the brain, and you will what meditation is about.

Just last night I had meditated in bed and I could tell I was in a special state of mind, unlike other times I did not care what benefit this meditation would bring me, or how long it's gonna take. As far as I was concerned, I was not much more than a thinking rock, and whether morning or sleep came first did not concern me.

After about an hour, my senses were very heightened. I was aware of every minute feeling in all of my limbs, and the vision of the blackness of my eyelids seemed to open up.

At this post, I started to wonder: what part of the brain is responsible for interpreting the location of my limbs? It was always obvious that the world was just an accurate interpretation of the brain, but for the first time I felt like I could tap into it. So I tried to really focus and figure out where my limbs really are, where these sensations that I can not describe, like trying to explain how to lift your hand, are. That's when it began- it felt like all information was my limbs was condensed into one point in my head, and I no longer felt them scattered though I still knew where they were. I could make it feel as if my hand was on the floor and my leg in the closet, extended to my vision and thoughts.

At that point, not at this post.

Cold showers, not lukewarm shit either. Start with half hot, half cold. Make sure you breath properly when your head is under too, otherwise you'll become light-headed. Eventually your brain adjusts to it and it's not much different to your previous hot showers.

when are we not meditating?

whenever we aren't paying attention I suppose.

fasting.

also, this:

gay

What's the benefit of cold showers? I understand not taking hot showers, but why not warm?

better skin
increases immunity
better hair
increases testosterone
increases cold tolerance
better blood flow

What do you think about though? What do you do?

At least read a literature review before making strong statements. Warm water can also have its benefits.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4049052

If the point of meditation is to stop mindwandering and increase attention and focus, why can't I just "meditate" on whatever I'm studying?

I listed what cold shower does to your body.
Did I wrote something wrong ?

If it's not in the review, it's fiction.

You can, but to do that would require your mind truly doing nothing but absorbing and dissecting information. If you feel frustration, curiosity, fulfillment, humor or any self-driven thoughts about your studies without returning your focus off them to pure information then you're not meditating.

>why can't I just "meditate" on whatever I'm studying?
What you're studying is probably a lot more abstract and convoluted than a more traditional object of meditation like your breathing.
Unless what you're studying doesn't involve any sort of rational thought or understanding e.g. if you're a liberal arts student. The point is to do something qualitatively distinct from the analytical thinking you normally spend your time on. It's not just a matter of doing the same thinking you always do but with increased focus, it's more like the difference between how your mind is overrun with thoughts while sober but very clearly silent and free of internal monologue while on Ketamine. I think people who haven't experimented much with psychoactive compounds probably won't get that having the same sort of thinking but with greater or lesser intensity is nothing at all like having a full on channel change on the metaphorical television of your mind.

If this isn't Veeky Forums in a nutshell, idk what is.

It works. Sometimes, it's the only way I can go to sleep.
Kill Jews.

The world would be a better place if it was people in a nutshell, not just Veeky Forums.

No, that's getting lost in thought. Mindful meditation necessitates clearing your mind and removing yourself from the constant stream of thought.

waste of time.

Meditation can be very beneficial to studying. Just take periodic breaks and meditate for a few minutes followed by a little little stretching or walking. You'll find you can study longer and absorb more information. There's no hocus-pocus about this, there are good physiological reasons for it.

It's hard to keep up the habit but you need the habit to progress.
When your mind is unsteady or you fucked your sleep or consumed a lot of caffeine you can't do it.
I sincerely believe that some great achievement would lie in becoming better at it, that it would be a reward in itself and also enrichen my life with more focus and serenity, but I only have so much free time, all of which I need to shitpost.

RIP Harambe

It has an unbelievably retarded and annoying fanbase but it actually is useful for helping you think clearly. It's literally just resting your brain for a while to clear your thoughts and shit. Use it when you need it and if it benefits you then keep on doing it. It's not going to save your life and it's not going to let you transcend reality or whatever the fuck but it's good for resting during mentally difficult tasks.

Why won't anyone say what it actually is though? What are you supposed to do?

Absolutely fucking nothing. You sit there and you don't do anything and you don't actively try to think about anything or actively try to not think about anything. You're basically sleeping while awake, and that's why its helpful.

It works but it's hard to get in.

Sounds simple. I'll give it a whirl.

That's not what it is. You observe your senses without thinking, basically. You detach yourself from them, while focusing on the exact present. Your raw sense have no notion of abstract future worries and thoughts.

You could probably do some kind of meditation on study, but it wouldn't be mindfulness, and it would be impossible to stop mind-wandering because every concept flutters in a dozen directions in your mental web of associations.

How do you do it?

Meditation is what you make of it. Tummo is meditation and if you get it you can even control certain immune responses actively (this is sth physicians even measured empirically) or you body's homeostasis behaviour in certain ways.

Western culture unfortunatley cannot fathom what the human is really capable of. Ignorance and amorality are virtues in the EU & US.

I've seen literal magic with my own eyes performed by people having abilities and skills where the knowledge on how to obtain or use them was (and probably will ever) never written down, only taught orally or practically to the person the wielder deemed a truthful person.

There are regions in the world where most of the disease (especially those mental ones and cancer) are unknown to the people, because never even once a person had that kind of pathology there.

[Cont]

I studied me, cs, chem and linguisics and was always a pure rationalist. Born into a highly religious family, I proclaimed myself atheist. And yet I've met an old man who was 140y/o without a wrinkle on his skin, a women who could give you electroschocks through her palms and set fire to things with those same hands, a child who could converse with wild tigers for instances.

Humans are not made for that kind of civilization we propel to is my conclusion. Our foremost ability enabling us to progress is the ability to connect with everything that sourrounds us. From people to objects .

Fuck off. 140 yrs old without wrinkles? Women making fires?

Go back to /x/

I can see what you mean, but somehow describing it to others makes it sound so weird / like bullshit
But I agree with what you say anyway

You don't

>meditation
>living in a house of annoying little fuckers who cry every 3 hours
how can i even mediate in that situation

>I'm rational
>Here's a list of dubious bullshit I believe in though
Huh, it's almost like there's a distinction between identifying yourself as rational and actually being rational.

I don't have to prove anything.

If you actually are old enough to be finished with your degrees and start to work (if any of you get qualified enough to get decent salaries that is) go travel the world and unravel your own truths.

I think people responding in the way you did just want further elaboration anyway. You already know I'm not lying.

Yeah. Almost as if, huh?

>I'll lie on the internet and tell people to travel the world when confronted

Its about clearing your mind. Letting your mind become empty.

Samefag

I didn't ask you to prove anything. I would only ask that if you were claiming something plausible.
There are all sorts of amazing and powerful phenomena worth exploring, but you're cheapening the real magic of the world we're in by trying to pretend obvious bullshit is real. Like it's not enough that you're sitting in one of the elaborate actualizations of mathematics and architecture that modern buildings constitute and communicating through a vast planetary network of telecommunication systems with both your building's light and your communicating machine's power running on harnessed microcosms of lightning and said machine's interfacing and task managing capabilities being mediated through the abstract and non-physical Platonic Forms that are programs, you have to go and make up bullshit because you have no appreciation of the real magic right under your nose. Fuck off honestly, you're a disgusting excuse for a person.

That's the perfect moment to meditate. In fact, focus intently on that annoyance. Explore all aspects of it and really try to understand it.

You get personal. I assume you believe me. Your internal conflict is real.

Also you made an assumption. I cherish science, however there are real things out of its reach and discarding them, bc you can't or didn't experience them yet is ignorant.

You believe in a round earth and gravitation yet you've never seen them. I've seen performances that sound like taken out of a vanilla fantasy novel and yet I've been saying the exact same things as you before doing so.

Btw for stuff like tummo and some of the things I mentioned there are actual scientists that have written about them. For meditation especially or rather people with extraordinary performances attributing it to meditation there are even peer revieved studies.

You sound very much like somebody with pre-conditioned blockages that enforce ignorance or the "dis-acceptance" of such things.

>inb4 lsd dude and such
I'm str8 edge.

Tummo isn't living to 140 (and without wrinkles to boot), pyrokinesis, or talking with tigers you goalpost moving fraud. Nobody denies that it's possible to increase your body temperature, I'm sure most people here saw one of the TV show documentaries with Wim Hof that were out years ago.
>I'm str8 edge.
Not surprised. It probably would take a straight edger to be this preoccupied with shallow parlor trick bullshit.