How does Veeky Forums like ramen? Do you make it from scratch or from a package?

How does Veeky Forums like ramen? Do you make it from scratch or from a package?

Other urls found in this thread:

yelp.com/biz/ramen-on-main-street-grass-valley
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's nice to make your own because you add the ingredients that you want, but it's a lot easier and just as delicious to buy the packaged stuff.

Shin Ramyun is by far the highest quality and tastiest noodles I've had. But I sometimes add seitan to it or roast chicken.

instant shin ramen and throw in a raw egg or something

Whats a good ramen brand?

Ham

Whole egg

Corn

You don't need much else

Who /ramen/ here?

I've always like Koka; just a good, solid, standard noodle

Shin Ramyun, Nissin, Mama

SHIN RAMYUN

i like making "beef stew" out of beef ramen. carrots, potatoes, celery, cabbage, corn, beans

To me ramen is like pizza, banh mi, pastrami, Cuban sandwiches, sushi and burgers - something you go out to a place dedicated to them to get. Not something you make at home.

Indo mie (esp. mi goreng)
Nongshim
Nissin

This guy is right.

Tsukemen is better in summer, though.

I like it with peanut butter, served on a paper towel.

Happened to pick up a couple packets of pic related (Shrimp creamy Tom Yum flavour noodles) the other day. Already ate one yesterday, but it felt kinda lacking. Don't have any shrimp at hand, but would tuna work well with it?

Sapporo Ichibana is only good with the Miso flavor, but it is REALLY good.

Sapporo Ichiban, Anything from Nongshim

>Shin Ramyun
Those are instant noodles, not ramen

eval()▲

Udon is better

▲▲

No it's not.

The few times I've made it myself I made a broth from pan frying up a bunch of mushrooms and mixing with chicken stock, boil that with some vegetables and kombu, garlic, ginger and other aromatics.
I usually make a roast char-siu "ish" pork with it, but it came out a bit too dry, tasty nonetheless.

I have 5 or 6 chicken carcasses in my freezer that I intend to use for ramen of some sort.

I like to make it when I'm backcountry camping. I use a jetboil to heat up some water really quick, and dump in the noodles, spices, and a package of tuna. Gives me a decent amount of nutrients, is non perishable, and it tastes decent. Like spicy tuna :|

your keyboard needs a deep clean.

looks messy

Yeah, there's a lot of work that goes into a bowl of ramen, it's not really something you want to do on your own unless you have access to these ingredients nearby. Shoyu and shio might be easier, but anything else is hard.

Standard Nissin Beef Ramen. This is the only ramen.

Do not follow package instructions, use only 1.5 cups of water and put it in a tiny pot on the most heat you can until it's boiling furiously, only keep the ramen in for like 1:20 or so. Do not stir in packet before it's done cooking, it ruins it. When eating push spoon against the side of bowl to cut bits of noodle into a spoonful of broth and suck it all down, doing it any other way sucks.

Oh, and you have to actively shove the block down with a fork to get it to cook right, don't break the noodles just make sure they separate the moment they're physically able to without breaking. This will make it cook evenly.

I'm currently in Tokyo and yet I struggle to find decent really spicy ramen, does anyone have any recommendations to where I can go to eat the most delicious stuff? Anything not far from akiba would be perfect

>Yeah, there's a lot of work that goes into a bowl of ramen

Boil ramen in water for 3 minutes
Drain and put them in a bowl

Optional: rinse under cold water if they are slimy

Boil 300ml water
Add tsp of sesame oil
Add tsp of crushed/grated garlic
Add tsp crused/grated ginger
Add stock cube
Pour in to the bowl on the noodles
Serve

Optional for the stock: sake, mirin, bonito flakes, chili oil

Toppings:
Boiled egg
Meat
Green onions
Sliced chilies
Beansprouts

Not hard work at all, just sprinkle the stuff on top if you have them available.

*Also tsp of soy sauce to the soup

All of those toppings are optional too.

>ramen thread
>it's a bunch of manchildren talking about shitty instant noodles
You guys are fucking plebs, holy fuck. Handpull your noodles. Make a proper stock from pork or chicken bones and whatever other ingredients take your fancy, soy, miso, mirin, sake etc. Put your favourite toppings on top. It's not difficult and it's 1000 times better than the fucking DISGUSTING tarted up garbage you subhumans have the audacity to call ramen.

>handpull your noodles
>gives no recipe
Sure thing instant boi, you pull your noodle with your anime pillow again tonight.

Samyang brand?

>needing a recipe to handpull noodles
>neeing to actually have someone else tell you how to make a simple chicken, miso or tonkotsu pork ramen
just end your life, philistine.

Imagine how filthy this Mongoloids dick is

I'm pretty sure meant proper ramen, like tonkotsu broth where you have to boil bones for hours on end.

I've been too intimidated to try pork or chicken based stock, but I've made miso-based broth to great success. A friend likes to make vegetarian ramen where the dashi is made with mushrooms instead of bonito. It's very tasty, the stock almost has a sweetness to it.

>proper ramen, like tonkotsu broth where you have to boil bones for hours on end
But you don't. You can buy pork and chicken stock. He's just being a pretentious elitist.

If you have pork bones that you want to boil all day, then go ahead and do it. Or you can follow my previous instructions and use a simple stock cube.

>dashi is made with mushrooms instead of bonito
That sounds quite nice actually. Maybe worth trying out, thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried a few times to make it from package but it takes more effort than its worth. But a new ramen place opened up thats fairly cheap and it tastes great.

I've never seen the cold store made proper ramen broths outside of Japan, not even in Asian supermarkets

What's the best ramen recipe? I can get fresh chukamen noodles

Is ramen even that fucking good? is it worth all the effort to make it from scratch? i tried adding stuff to premade noddles but its only as good as the brand you are buyinng from. If you buy cheap noddles its going to be shit

Chicken ramen isnt even that hard. Start it 4 hours in advance and youre good to go.

I had 3 carcasses in my freezer, and a half eaten roast chicken in the fridge, so decided to make ramen on a whim today. I tore the remaining meat off the cooked bird and put the bones in a pot.
Threw in some frozen onion and carrot scraps, plus a head of garlic and set it to boil. While that cooked i ran to the asian market and picked up some kombu, ginger, dried shiitake and fresh noodles.
I Just tossed the kombu, mushroom and ginger in after two hours. In an hour ill make soft boiled eggs and maybe toast an ear of corn over a burner, chop some green onions and get ready to cook my noods.
I also picked up a package of miso paste, a block of tuna, and some gyoza.
im sure there will be leftover broth so ill try something else tomorrow.

oh shit yes it is fucking worth it.
try other noodles then, also letting them rest a really long time before putting them in helped when I tried it

If I want ramen like in that picture I just go to a ramen place. I can't make it as good as a specialized restaurant can, let's be honest.

Samyang. Their double spicy noodles will make your anus hurt.

I make it from a package, usually Maruchan, because I don't know where to find better brands or a place dedicated to making it, because I live in fucking eastern Ohio. We don't have jack shit here. I really enjoy the Roast Beef flavored ramen though when I can find it. Haven't found the right thing to add to other flavors to make them better though. I've tried adding certain kinds of meat like chicken and pork but it didn't help the flavor. I'd really like to try something like what's posted in this pic because that looks fucking delicious.

That bowl looks sad. Overcooked egg, dry meat and instant noodles in thin broth. Someone spiced up their top ramen for that pic

Whats the best ramen broth that doesn't involve soy?

Soy is optional in almost any ramen. Steer clear of miso and shoyu
Tonkotsu is the god of all ramen anyway

Pretty much every recipe I see uses it or contains it in the pre packaged broth

On Veeky Forums maybe. Meat stocks arent that hard. Thats like first year culinary school shit. Will it be as good as chefs in japan and china that have had the same pot of broth going for 200 years? No. But it will still be far better than instant or boullion cubes.

>don't talk to me until i've had my 200 year old pork broth soup, sweetie
>first year culinary school

When will this hipster faggotry end?

You know nothing jon snow

>hurrr only Veeky Forums users put pre-made broth in to ramen
>trust me in japan they fold the broth 1000 times before using it
>japanese would never use pre-made broth in their food

Why you stinking up this thread
Where did you read any of that

This. Samyang is love. The 2x hot version might be harder to find, but the standard spicy should be commonplace around Akiba.

Was more thinking about a' actual place to eat, rather than instant noodle.

>ramen
>some noodles in hot flavorless water with a tiny serving (like all jap food) of overcooked pork and a couple slivers of seaweed

why do people go nuts over this shit again?

tonkotsu hakata ramen with dense broth and kata noddles is my favorite

1 kaidama, 6 gyozas, one asahi super dry

>Flavorless water
Don't think you're cooking it right, ma dude.

Its cheap and tasty, I used to buy a big box of 22 bags for a 20 bucks when I was at uni.

>why do people go nuts over this shit again?

The instant stuff isn't great, but it's a cheap and easy meal for the lazy/busy.

The real deal is fucking amazing. Dat chewy texture of the noodle, dat awesome, rich, broth. Lots of different flavors and textures to enjoy from the toppings. All for a reasonable price. What's not to love?

Yea, I grabbed it from google.
Will post pics next time I cook proper ramen. Maybe I'll do a thread.

did this guy legit try to xss 4chins

Lel

okay now I know you're baiting.

24 hour hardboil tonkotsu is a pain to make, but when you're done with the constant stirring, wiping of the sides, and pulling the broth out, it's worth it.

>you're baiting
>24 hour constant stirring, wiping of the sides, and pulling the broth out
>it's worth it

Normally just boil the packaged stuff and throw away the seasoning, then stir-fry some microwaved vegies, throw in some soy sauce and some stir-fry sauce stir in the cooked noodles and let it fry up a bit. If it's still dry I pour a bit of the water I used to cook the noodles in.

>Indo mie (esp. mi goreng)
my lads

I had Ramen with a friend and after adding the flavor packet he drained the water

This can be legitimate. What if you're just having noodles?

I should just go for it sometime, I have plenty of chicken in my freezer and at the very least I have experience with chicken noodle soup. Thank you for the inspiration user, I'll work off of your ingredients and see what happens!

>If you have pork bones that you want to boil all day, then go ahead and do it. Or you can follow my previous instructions and use a simple stock cube.
But a stock cube won't taste anywhere near as good, user...

>That sounds quite nice actually. Maybe worth trying out, thanks for the suggestion.
You're welcome.

So should i throw out the seasoning pack and make my own?

Has anyone here tried brothless ramen? I made some yesterday and I really liked it, the taste was much more intense and it's fatser to prepare and eat.

How is that possible? Ramen literally means "soup noodles". If you take away the soup then you don't have ramen anymore. You just have noodles.

Eh...
Anyway, I thought it was pretty good and it's fast so I can get back to self loathing not too long after. I know it seems like a bastardization of the food and wheatever, but I was just curious if anyone else tried it.

>But you don't. You can buy pork and chicken stock.
Ever tried those? They are totally lacking in texture, are usually far too salty, and contain the wrong types of seasoning. We're making an Asian dish, not a Western one.

>If you have pork bones that you want to boil all day, then go ahead and do it. Or you can follow my previous instructions and use a simple stock cube.

Missing the point entirely. The reason you boil pork bones all day is for the TEXTURE you get from the gelatin that gets rendered into the stock. You don't get that from using a bullion cube. Not to mention that most bullion cubes are flavored with western-style herbs that would not make sense with the other seasonings used in ramen.

>I've been too intimidated to try pork or chicken based stock

I'm kind of curious as to why that is. Making stock is probably the easiest thing you can possibly do in the kitchen. It's the very first thing you learn in cooking school, and it's also the first section in many well regarded cookbooks.

It's very simple to do. What do you find intimidating about it? Perhaps we can help.

>I know it seems like a bastardization of the food

I don't really care about that, I was asking what exactly you meant by "brothless ramen"? Describe what you did.

You simply eat the cooked noodles without the broth, the rest of the seasonings and fixings go on it just the same. It's for people that want to try soup but have a hard time with soups (elderly, physically impaired), or people that don't like watery stuff (faggots), but it just seems more like a convenience to me since it's very fast to eat compared to the broth counterpart.

Instant noodles or proper noodles?

So you cook the noodles, then drain them, then season them?

>> It's for people that want to try soup but have a hard time with soups

How does it help them try soup if it's not soup at all? Wouldn't you mean "help them try noodles"?

>>> It's for people that want to try soup but have a hard time with soups
>How does it help them try soup if it's not soup at all? Wouldn't you mean "help them try noodles"?
Whatever man, you know what I meant.
Anyway, there was a guy that owns a shop doing it so it does work with hand pulled noodles.

>Whatever man, you know what I meant.
No, I really didn't, that's why I was asking.

Anyway, yeah, I've made that before, but I normally cook the noodles only partway in the hot water, then I finish them by tossing them in a frying pan with some sesame oil and aromatic veggies. Kind of a ghetto version of yakisoba. I think it's tasty when fried, but it doesn't sound all that pleasant without that step.

Well I ain't a 5-Star chef or anything, I just get bored and put my own autistic spins on food to entertain myself. I don't wanna sound like a baby but everyone here seems kinda uptight about something as simple as what composition of ingredients you shove in your gullet. Just wanted some extra opinions since I liked it.

No matter how much I reread and rewrite my posts, they always sound like I'm upset or being pretentious.

>they always sound like I'm upset or being pretentious.

I didn't get any of that reading your posts. I was simply confused because there weren't many details mentioned.

For example, you wrote:
>You simply eat the cooked noodles without the broth
...but you didn't specify what kind of noodles, or how you cooked them.

Anyway, I get it now, I just replied since you started talking about your posts being misunderstood.

Y-you too, t-thanks...

I usually boil my ramen, drain it, and stir-fry it with noodles, carrots, red bell peppers, and fried eggs. The chili powder seasoning is actually pretty good when used in this context.

Well, I have had at least one failed attempt at making good soup (in this case, I'm talking NA style simple chicken soup). Idk what I did wrong, but it tasted totally bland, and didn't have the same feel as soup my parents used to make (I guess that would be the texture is talking about).

My later attempts went fine, the soup was delicious and comforting and not overly rich but very flavourful. As I said in I'll probably take the plunge for chicken sometime. I just don't wanna work on this stuff for hours only for it to end up tasting like crap.

Although if you have any tips or recipes I'd really appreciate them! I think mostly I'm intimidated because it's new territory, idk what sort of pork bones to use or where to get them (supermarker? Asian market? specialty butcher???), just as an example. I remember reading a ramen recipe a ways back and there were so many steps to the bone broth my head was spinning.

I've never had ramen before. They just opened up a ramen place in my small town and I've been curious to try it out since I'm a huge weeaboo. this is the place.
yelp.com/biz/ramen-on-main-street-grass-valley

My ex gf was japanese and she would buy shin ramyun and put an egg and lots of negi into it. Pretty simple but good. you can add chashuu if you have it.

I put 2 Kraft Singles in my Ramen the other day. It was pretty good.