Books

Hey lit, just wanted to say thank you.

You have introduced me into the world of reading. I have found something that I have been missing in my life and have found great happiness through books suggested on this board.

You probably don't hear this enough but thank you for existing and I hope more plebs like me get introduced into the world of reading through this board.

Currently reading Demons.

Share your currently reading, and if any other plebs are like me.

nigga

I'm a pleb just like you. This board needs more plebs just like us.

I'm sure there are plenty of lurkers, I lurked for a while before commenting here and there, mostly picking up suggestions etc.

I'm a pleb pretending to be a patrish, don't tell anyone pls

Gj dude, but happiness is not the point imo

lit might start with happiness sometimes and then it becomes despair because the deeper you go, the more you "understand things" and then you are like "lit gets it. lit gets my despair" and then its a real addiction and you compare everything to Dostoevsky, Kafka, Beckett, Cioran,

Let's start a pleb revolt

I feel you.
I'm currently reading pic pic related. I would strongly recommend it, although you should probably read Crome Yellow first.

Well thirst for knowledge, exploring new ideas etc.
I meant this without saying it I guess

thanks might check it out got a long list already,

At what number of completed books does one transcend pleb status?

I am miserable and depressed. I read mainly out of habit and to stave off boredom. I don't even enjoy it anymore. I learn and absorb nothing, as my life slowly drifts by, each day the same, gray blur.

Define happiness?
If you define it as your inward inclinations towards things most desirable, then you're unable to circumvent its pivotal dictation on all you do. For even in avoiding vague happiness, you're adhering to inner desires, and are, therefore, doing "it" in the image of happiness. The equivocation of the word happiness stems from its differential connotations. In one sense, one may understand it as synonymous with desire, or with will, however, another way, in a fashion more simpleton, one may believe it to be of contingent nature, and completely autonomous to the individual desire or will.
Up to you to decide really; I just happened to find your opinion rather odd.

You're welcome, dude.

All of us are plebs in different plebdoms.

cheers, pleb

Oh, Demons, excellent taste. How is it for you, so far? When I started reading it, I had trouble following the over 100 page long elaboration of Stepan Verkhovensky. After reading that I paused for a while, then started again and had a very good and easier time reading it. It's by far the darkest, most insightful and most difficult work of Dostoyevsky - I have read all five grand works of his.

Currently, I'm reading American Psycho.

My man, glad you're reading Demons, it's the most underrated of Dostoevsky's main works. If you really like Dostoevsky and Gogol, definitely check out Petersburg by Andrei Bely, it's my favorite book and the McDuff translation is superb.

Currently reading Pan by Knut Hamsun, it's great and comfy as hell

however many it takes to get a doctorate

Same as you OP. In my case it was specifically Dostoevsky that made me learn to appreciate the classics.

I'm only up to the part where Nikolay comes to their town and starts being a bad ass, but it's not bad so far. I love the language in it. Also hate seeing Nikolay's last name I can never pronounce it and have to mentally stop myself from trying to sound it out in my head whenever i see it.

Yeah i'm looking forward to reading gogol actually, i will definitely chuck that one of my list (Petersburg), ive heard a little about Knut Hamsun ill get around to him eventually too, how do you like him?

that's good to hear i'm not alone plebbro,

Hamsun is one of my favorites, up their with Dosto and Bely. He really gets inside the head of his characters like Dosto.

Do you mean his father's name "Vsevolodovich" or his actual last name "Stavrogin"? His father's name is pronounced: Vsye-va-lo-do-vitch.
And his last name is pronounced: Shta-vro-geen.

Whenever I read a book of Dostoyevsky and it came to mind that it's actually world-literature, I got always amused how non-Russian speakers, or non-Slavic language speakers would have trouble pronouncing and memorizing all those names.

>reading fiction

How often do you read? Maybe you're just reading the wrong things. Try nonfiction perhaps? The ins and outs of fictional lit can become tiresome.