Holy this kino was boring. Why did PTA pick such a pleb pinecone book...

Holy this kino was boring. Why did PTA pick such a pleb pinecone book. Mason and dixon would have been the patrician choice

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yNvJiIvitBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OQt4e3Odc2c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah a 2-hour Hollywood version of Mason & Dixon would have been great eh

It feels a little weird that Pynchon approved this to be honest. I haven't seen it (or read IV) but the other Pynchon I've read is very word-based. I can't imagine him working well in movie form

I haven't read the novel but I do enjoy the film. It's like Chinatown on acid.

he was trying to get in on that big lewbowski money

>look at me I'm so patrician.

Both the movie and the book were great

Movie was perfect. You're a disease.

M&D needs a 8-10 episode miniseries or nothing.
That was Coen brothers

It was a fun little movie. PTA is for sure a pleb though. I recall an interview where he admitted that he's never managed to finish Gravity's Rainbow.

he's a kino god

pynchon liked him a hell of a lot more than he'd like you
grow up

yeah marc maron asked him if he'd read gravitys rainbow and you can tell pta was like "dammit whyd you ask me that, im not gonna lie, but i dont relish outing myself as a pleb either" as he said he hadnt.

in the same interview he recalled how he had dfw as a prof at emerson. can there be any doubt that when infinite jest came out he bought it and at least tried to read it? your fav prof from back in the day put out a huge novel that everyones clamoring about... he probably bought it on day 1. furthermore i also like to think that he had infinite jest in mind when he did magnolia. like, here's my american epic, here's my infinite jest, with its multiple characters and intersecting storylines, the 3 hour movie is the 1000 page novel, and so on. and i like to think he was trying to ape infinite jest's blue sky poster when he did the poster in pic related (which, if i recall the making of magnolia correctly, he actually did or had a hand in).

i like to think all this shit because it makes that much more fucked up that dfw wrote to don delillo in the late 90s that hed just seen two movies, the matrix and magnolia, and that the matrix was great but magnolia was garbage, calling it "100% gradschoolish in a bad way"

If you unironically use the word kino in a Veeky Forums post you're in no position to be telling anyone they need to grow up. Besides, I don't think he's a bad director or anything, just a pleb when it comes to literature.

>dfw wrote to don delillo in the late 90s that hed just seen two movies, the matrix and magnolia, and that the matrix was great but magnolia was garbage, calling it "100% gradschoolish in a bad way"
Wow, shit taste much

can't hope for anything but shit taste from the sinceritymeister

>tfw half way through IJ
>i watch some movie called magnolia last week
>holy shit the similarities
it's one of my favorite movies and he very obviously was going for an "infinite jest" movie adaptation.
if anyone is going to adapt infinite jest it's got to be p.t. anderson.

Even Pynchon uses that word, kys

No u, fampire.

Yes I do
t. Pynchon

such*

I'm ten minutes into Magnolia. How could DFW say that about his film? It's a fucking unofficial adaptation of IJ.

i believe he said he wanted to adapt something by pynchon, originally Against the Day, then decided on inherent vice because it had just come out.

the book is entertaining and so is the movie

Coen brothers would've done a much better job

You're fucking crazy. It couldn't have been better. Those guys already made inherent vice anyway

is this pynchon?

What kind of retard do you have to be to think an 800 page book can be adapted into a 2-hour film?

Inherent Vice wasn't a very good adaptation, but l doubt anyone could have made it any better. PTA is GOAT and the film is perfectly fine if you consider its own merits instead of comparing it to the book.

IV isn't your typical Pynchon book. It's probably the only book of his that could have been adapted.

>Still thinking there was a Pynchon cameo

no but here he is on the right

>pinecone book
?

Oh my god the madman actually did it

inherent vice movie grew on me after a while, have seen it like 10x by now and love it

Yeah, it's an acquired taste of sorts. The OST is good and made me discover CAN, and thats a huge plus to the movie. youtube.com/watch?v=yNvJiIvitBQ

I've posted him so many times but no on gives me the time of day. He's in the dentist office. White hair. Back to us.

Oh, well nvm

doesnt surprise me that he hadnt read GR, i'm not sure he fully understands IV, or it's just a result of the hollywood system, but his adaptation leaves out 75% of the novel

It's not as if Magnolia has wheelchair assassins or the transmigration of souls or a North American civil war though.

I don't know if it's right, though. Some guy who wrote about meeting Pynchon said he had an Einstein-like mop of curly grey hair.

>not listening to music before watching films
>not watching films before reading books
>not reading books before coming on Veeky Forums

>only links a 9 minute video of an 18 minute song

The best part of the movie was the scene at the start with the doc and Joanna Newsom narrating and Vitamin C was playing in the background

>adam sambergowitzstein is plowing her ass every single day
FUGGG

I doubt PTA can make another film that could top The Master.
But it did introduce me to top tier music.
youtube.com/watch?v=OQt4e3Odc2c

TWBB >>> Master

Not saying it isn't good

How many times does the phrase Inherent Vice occur in the Recognitions? 1-3, 3-5, or 5-10?

I'm going to fucking kill you

are there other similar kinos to that kino?

Cool. You're a bit late, though.

Big lebowski is the exact same movie Seriously ghost, why do you keep spamming that retardation. Pynchon didn't lift the title from fucking Gaddis. It's a legal term.

It is a legal term, but not in the sense that habeas corpus is a legal term. More like Force majeure.

Yeah I had already seen BL, is BL based on inherent vice?

That's nice. I still don't know why you keep spamming that Pynchon took the term inherent vice from the recognitions.
No

For the same reason I wonder if Dick got the title for A scanner darkly from a book on the early church by Henry Chadwick in which he writes of Origen's view of relative vs. absolute truth: "We see through a glass, darkly".

It could be coincidence, or it could be an esoteric insight into a private moment of inspiration of a writer held in high esteem by a community of readers.

>God forbid I should discußs the relationships between literary works on a board ostensibly devoted to literature.

Ok, your silly fun time aside, you always present it like he stole it, when it's not an altogether uncommon term.
A scanner darkly is a biblical reference.
You're not discussing anything, you're just being a retard.

Inherent Vice is based on The Big Lebowski

"A true artist never borrows anything; he steals it outright" - Oscar Wilde

Why is Pynchon such a hack