We do not accept unsolicited submissions

>We do not accept unsolicited submissions
>Recent publications: my vagina is literally bleeding By Ironic Depression Humor Trust Fund Girl Who Writes in Deadpan Non Capitalized Prose

IT ISNT FAIR

Guess you'll have to find an agent

This. Or maybe look for a smaller publishing house. Oneworld took tons when they were starting up, and then hit it out of the park and no longer take submissions.

>We do not accept unsolicited submissions
>Every one of the poems published in the last issue is political
>90% by women
>Google first author
>Has a tumblr blog where they say Donald Trump being elected was as bad as the time they were raped
>Go back to website
>Newest issue's cover is a dead Trump with pencils stuck in his face
>Repeat for nearly every uni literary mag

Really stimulates the neurons.

make yourself some silicon masks, a fat suit, and change your name to something a wymn would have

once you've been given an advance write your real book

ffs. start your own mag then. whiney bitches.

Pull a reverse George Elliott

>write a shit submission
>get rejected because it's awful
>invent cringy /pol/-style greentext stories
>seek consolation on a forum for autistic teens
really activates my almonds

I'm a leftist and I agree with you, this shit is absolute bourgeois ideology nepotism

This is the first Stanza of a poem by the man featured for poetry in this year's issue of Ploughshares (Pic related. It's him.):

after all my labor
pleasure arrives
inelegant as ever
secondhand chandelier
onion sound
the gutter that grunts
back at you when you spit
in its mouth

mmmmmmmm

I like that

My name is Kimshasa M'dobe (my friends call me Kimmy). My family immigrated from Zimbabwe on in the late 70s with assistance from an African evangelical church. I transitioned to a woman about 4 years ago, and have been blessed to receive soooo much support from my community. Last year I was raped. My novels are all tacitly from the point of view of a millennial white man, who's world view embodies the poisonous post-colonial mindset that so besets my brothers and sisters around the world. Here is my novel

Sister, believe me I know.

OP you are going to need to start a tumblr right now to build a base for your novel

That's actually pretty good. Also very eclectic dress style. Stop whining and try to be more authentic instead.

That's a really sad hearing impediment.

And with such prominent lip cancer... such a shame

submit to caspermag.com

They're cool, IMO. I mean I don't like all of the stuff they publish there, but there are some things there that are head and shoulders above entire issues of the paris review. I'm not even alt-right/reactionary or whatever those dumb cliques are. Honest. I'm just a guy who likes contemporary literature. And those guys publish some cool stuff.

So contribute

publishing is 90% networking. get going.

This is a BAD thread.

Why the fuck would you want to be published by verso anyway?

ey ma nikka

why is it good?

>digital magazine

literally self publishing tier, no thanks

>nothing is better than something

I hope your mom is like John Toole's mom

They don't accept unsolicited submissions for legal reasons. For example, some asshole could send a different person's work in as his own for some publicity, and then the magazine would be liable for the plagiarism because they published it.

user, have you read a print magazine?

I hate to tell you this, but they're all shit. All of them. I spent an hour yesterday reading all the big magazines barnes and noble cared to order. They were all ineffably shit.

when the moon
hits your eye
like a big
pizza
pie
that's

amore

Right now am getting New Criterion and Archaeology. Enjoying both.

>authentic

This is how I know you're a walking meme.

Is that Broken Pencil?

>Honest. I'm just a guy who runs the website

Fix'd that for you Mr. Shill.

>I dress this way because I like it, not because I want attention or anything!

All the big names are caught up in their own masturbatory pretensions or pandering to current year "I took a queer theory class at a liberal arts college my parents paid for and am now an opinionated barista at starbucks with a degree I'll never use" sensibilities. This is a very dark time for literature.

>really activates my almonds
Fucking lmao

I totally agree man. The most frustrating part is how hard it is to articulate the voice. It's like a kind of Jewy (in one of the few bad senses of the word), very sensitive, quirky, ineffectual voice.

It's just all vaguely insulting to all humanity somehow. Every story is a totally uninteresting account of some locked-in-irony faygit who spends his time having whimsical thoughts which run contrary to all reason and basically life itself. Whenever things happen, they have to be extremely hardcore things that can only be mentioned obliquely by these catlike narrators or characters... who, instead of living, seem to drift through life, like cats.

I still haven't put it across that well. It's basically the distillation of everything that's wrong with New York. The love of death and dirtiness, the disgusting, shameless narcissism, the pseudo-intellectualism, the love of posturing, the ironic detachment.

Take it from me, someday we'll all be free.

This is literally what Veeky Forums is

I wouldn't hate it so much if I didn't see in it something I hate in myself.

I know what you mean. A friend had me read the girl with the curious hair once, and it was all liked, "whoa punk rock whoa look at how punk rock I am I have dirty thoughts I'm so crazy lmao." That's how all these writers are.

we're all creations of our environments in some ways unfortunately.

to me, the problem is trying to generate compassion/empathy for a clique I deep down hate and resent (the liberal arts college victimhood brigade) because compassionate people tend to be happier. i don't WANT to be cynical and Darwinist, i just can't help feeling that way constantly

This is entirely true, but those are the ones that are read. You put your work in a magazine for attention, not merit. It's how to attract a good publisher

I really don't want to have an alt right opinion but this is correct

Bourgeois liberalism has gone too far

Nobody is obligated to publish you. This is a fact that hurts and hurts deeply, but it is a fact of the industry. Publishers only have to publish who they want to publish. So, if they want to only publish trust fund girls, that's their prerogative. For the record, though, I think your claims that this is somehow a conspiracy against white men are moronic and rooted in excuse-making. In all likelihood they just don't dig your stuff.

All you can do is try to work with the system (by this I mean start with smaller shitty publications, work up to better publications, find an agent, etc.) as best as you can or self publish.

If it makes you feel any better, its not like anybody is actually reading their magazine one way or the other, except for other would-be writers and the occasional bored academic.

>animepictureresponse

Alright, numale.

>>>/PortlandOregon/

white boy lit has dominated since the history of literature

pendulum swing to sad pop culture girls now i guess but it won't last always

shh bby is ok

This is the most reddit post on Veeky Forums

Even the death-obsessed squalor you tried to describe in association with New York at the end (which really isn't valid because the essence of New York as a city is more lukewarm indifference to everyday suffering than anything, you only get posturing with the would-be intellegensia who are mostly college kids or dropouts from other countries or states the average New Yorker has more of a "minding their own business" attitude about life where it's more about survival or career advancement if anything) would be more interesting and have more artistic merit than what's actually produced by these types. What they really put out is little more than idle bitching completely parroted from professors and/or generic snark that might've passed for wit in a high school setting.

you can feel compassion for them without liking their writing, bra. If anything, knowing that they're locked in a post post super double ironic versacci irony pit to the point where their natural muses are perverted and whored out to the ends of blaseity and coolness should just make you pity them all the more.

I wouldn't be mad if the stories were interesting or original whatsoever. And I'm not some woman-hater, I consider the current crop (which is composed of all sexes and most races) as being the multicultural equivalent of the beat poets in emptiness and posturing.

Just write your shit and publish it somewhere on the internet even for free. Given the rate at which we consume information today, in 50 years time everything everyone will ever publish will be instantly broadcasted to everyone. If what you've written is great it will be noticed and you'll become a legend.

>my last college lit mag was an analysis of time from the perspective of Penelope waiting for Odysseus to return
Haha plebs.

but how can one pity them, when it feels like everything they write is a barbed attack on my culture, my identity, as a...gasp...white male.

i feel like i'm living my life, trying to advance, be happy, blah blah whatever the fuck we're all out here doing, and everywhere i walk around campus i see posters basically saying, "check your privilege. you, your ancestors, and your societies are trash and evil, and it is our express desire to see it burnt to the ground."

i want to love, man, but i can't help but feel dragged into a needless war.

America's best and brightest young scholar.

Then why do so many journals and publishing houses accept them?

Because the guy you're talking to is retarded. The reason the big ones don't is just that they assume anything that isn't represented by an an agent won't be worth considering from a sales perspective.

Because they don't have prestige to get away with only soliciting submissions.

If you truly believe that European civilization and its products are superior, you must be confident that the substratum of truth will weather everything inferior to it.

If tomorrow the scions of unity were to send out a hacking program that deleted all copies of Shakespeare from the internet, and send crack team brigades to wipe it from the universe...

even in the event they succeeded, they would ultimately only be injuring themselves.

Every denigration of a greater culture, of a better story, of a higher mode of being only ever harms, weakens, and stupefies the attacker. It's literally like they're hitting themselves in the head with a cartoon mallet. So I still think you should pity them.

If it turns out that there are some African or Hindu epics which are superior to the stories of Faust or Hamlet, some mongolian masterwork which outclasses the Castle or Moby Dick... then the only thing we'll have lost will be an illusion!

That and only looking at things pitched to them by agents cuts down their workload by a huge amount because there are a lot less agents than people trying to get published.

alright my friend. thanks for cheering up my gloomy upstate NY afternoon :)

back to keynes it is

kek

this is pretty damn funny

I was reading an issue of the London Review of Books recently, and there was a review of a Fredric Jameson book about Raymond Chandler. The article's writer spent most of his time taking Jameson to task for not criticising Chandler's depiction of women/gays/blacks/whoever. These people have a narrow one-track mind and just can't see that not everyone shares their identity-politics obsessions.

>onion sound

>falling for the college meme
>falling for the women's suffrage meme

>fuccboi response