He's 22-24, recently graduated (or about to) from a middling college pursuing some humanities degree...

>he's 22-24, recently graduated (or about to) from a middling college pursuing some humanities degree, and harbors ambitions of literary/artistic greatness
>he sees himself as a tortured and isolated figure who cannot integrate with modern society, but thinks he will leave a posthumous legacy
>he is conflicted between a thirst for recognition and praise while disdaining societal benchmarks of success (possibly because he hasn't had many, so >he adopted a defensive sour grapes mentality)
>he reads a decent but not great amount, but has glaring holes in the canon, which he tells himself he will get around to filling one day but likely wont
>he can't decide if he wants to criticize or praise contemporary lit movements, so he adopts an aloof non-committal attitude that he hopes would communicate erudition and insight
most of his opinions are formed from an antagonistic perspective by refuting what the masses believe, and he hopes to differentiate himself with these stances
>he carefully selected a handful of artists to defend, though some arose largely from circumstance and coincidence of things he's happened to read, and will gladly die on those hills and enjoy the glory of martyrdom
>he has a wide interest in "the arts" and will gladly espouse opinions on music, film, philosophy, society, etc., and even some science-related stuff on occasion, but most of it firmly "i dabble"-core
>he epitomized the "everyone whos smarter than me is a pseud, and everyone whos dumber than me is a pleb" mentality

So what if I am, so are you

*slow claps*
*steps out of the shadows*
Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...
But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps? Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.
And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to. Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.
See you on the boards...

Hit and miss. I'd recommend being less specific and sticking to broader, barnum statements.

speak for yourself cuck.

>be 25
>live in brooklyn
>studying lit at nyu while working part-time at a library
>dating a qt submissive arts major
>both vegan
>both sensitive
>both suffering from several self-diagnosed personality disorders
>regularly attend readings by local poets and authors
>have met tao lin two times
>take xanax and lean almost every weekend
>about to publish my first novella with a small independent publisher
>wear oversized but formal clothing to represent my ambivalence towards the traditional masculine image
>semi-ironically autistic
>own an iPhone, Macbook, iPad and Kindle
>post on Veeky Forums at least three hours each day
>maintain a post-ironic attitude towards life and inter-personal relationships

>he's 22-24, recently graduated (or about to) from a middling college pursuing some humanities degree,
Nope
>and harbors ambitions of literary/artistic greatness
Nope
>>he sees himself as a tortured and isolated figure who cannot integrate with modern society,
Kinda
>but thinks he will leave a posthumous legacy
nope
>he reads a decent but not great amount
Yep
>but has glaring holes in the canon
Yep
>which he tells himself he will get around to filling one day
Nope
>but likely wont
yep
>he can't decide if he wants to criticize or praise contemporary lit movements, so he adopts an aloof non-committal attitude that he hopes would communicate erudition and insight
Nope
>most of his opinions are formed from an antagonistic perspective by refuting what the masses believe, and he hopes to differentiate himself with these stances
Nope
>>he carefully selected a handful of artists to defend, though some arose largely from circumstance and coincidence of things he's happened to read, and will gladly die on those hills and enjoy the glory of martyrdom
nope
>>he has a wide interest in "the arts" and will gladly espouse opinions on music, film, philosophy, society, etc., and even some science-related stuff on occasion, but most of it firmly "i dabble"-core
Correct, except I more than dabble in music and film
>he epitomized the "everyone whos smarter than me is a pseud, and everyone whos dumber than me is a pleb" mentality
Wrong

Should I kill myself?

First of all, you did not even greentext your shit OP properly.
Second of all, everyone here has read that same wall of text at least 10 times before.
Thirdly,
>you're neither this nor that, and that makes you defensive and discontent
damn, riveting analysis right there faggot.
Fourth, at least half of that doesn't even apply to me and most of Veeky Forums.

If you have to ask

>going to nyu
pleb.

I literally can't express how much better my life has been since I attended Oxford. I went to a state school and gradually became the stereotypical moody, withdrawn sensitive type who both despises the quality of his immediate culture and feels a weird pride for having been raised in a sort of anti-intellectual and brutal environment. I was all set to take my Russell Group humanities BA and spend my life working as an anonymous, insecure wageslave forever thankful of being offered a job and forever too insecure to pursue my creative ambitions. The chip on my shoulder had become something of a wedge, and I felt too out of place regardless of my environment, too resentful and bitter to even attempt to make it in the artistic world. Then I finally applied for Oxford and got in to study an English MA, with reassurance that should I work hard enough a career in academia or within one of Oxford's affiliated companies would be almost guaranteed. I turned up as apprehensive as usual, and the first few days were spent regretting my decision and desperately feigning a cultured personality. But then I realized that the people there were just interesting and that the snobbery and exclusivity I had anticipated was just a myth borne out of my working class upbringing. I've since graduated, having spend the year dining in grand halls with groups of interesting people, dating several girls (one of whom, a petite Russian whose family traces back to the aristocracy, is now my fiancee). I work four days a week at a publishing company and earn £38k a year. I regularly meet up with friends from my college and visit Oxford for nights out and for meetings with my professors. The Martin Eden-esque novel I have been writing for two years has been selected for publication at a major British publishing house and, honestly, I could not have imagined a few years ago how great life could be. I come on Veeky Forums and see how pathetic you all are and just shake my head and chuckle. If I saw you guys on the street I would of course throw you a penny or discuss Bukowski or whatever "realist" writers you enjoy, but ultimately I would be able to tell within ten seconds if you're an Oxbridge grad and would dismiss you as a potential source of good company if you are not. I never thought I'd know what it was like to be objectively better than somebody else, for the value of my existence to be superior to the value of a stranger's, but now I do and I've never been happier. People are awed by power and prestige. All I need to do is mention the university I attended (if only for a year) and they immediately begin to hunch and look at their feet because they know they are in the presence of greatness.

touched a nerve?

>Second of all, everyone here has read that same wall of text at least 10 times before.
it's oc

more like this?

Wow you are like one of those dicks who shit up nice tea shops and bookstores with your own brand of bullshit intellectualism. Kys.

Next time you see Tao Lin, ask him why he shitposts here. Bonus points if you film it.

I obviously did, since you replied :^)
That sentence was hyperbolic.

tfw there are ppl ITT who are seriously butthurt by this

at least im not a sheep like you.

Sure OP

do you think you're anything better you fucking autist? How long did it take you to type that up? How much time that you could've spent reading did you lose?

Sage goes in the option field, dearie.

sage goes in all fields dumbass

kek, u hurt?

Unlike some people I read for pleasure and read deeply, so even an hour of my reading is worth ten of the average litposter. Besides, I wrote this during my work hours. A position like mine allows me to entertain myself with such idle shit posts whilst earning a chunky salary.

Dropping this on everyone ITT

nice digits

is this your autobiography

you forgot

> he shills his shitty discord on Veeky Forums

>First
>Second
>Thirdly
Why would you do this?

English is not my first language.

OP, you're tryning way too hard. We don't really relate in a brand new way to this. This is the YA of "this is water."

>implying dfw isn't YA

kek

Uggggggg. Idk man, Could we really see Lenore Beadsman played by Emma Roberts?

astute, but far too general. I give this bait 7 out of 10.

>recently graduated (or about to) from a middling college
lol nope
dropout master race

let's see here

>he's 22-24, recently graduated (or about to) from a middling college pursuing some humanities degree, and harbors ambitions of literary/artistic greatness
dropped out of compsci. couldn't stand all the microsoft shit.

>he sees himself as a tortured and isolated figure who cannot integrate with modern society
correct, but I don't hold society accountable for my social ineptitude

>but thinks he will leave a posthumous legacy
I'd be surprised if anyone here held any such delusions.

>he is conflicted between a thirst for recognition and praise while disdaining societal benchmarks of success
that's just a fancy way to describe "personal values".

>he reads a decent but not great amount, but has glaring holes in the canon, which he tells himself he will get around to filling one day but likely wont
I don't give a fuck about classical literature and I think you're all sad and pathetic for circle jerking over it so hard.

the world will never be short on talent. if you think, in any way shape or form, that any form of art is somehow getting worse, you are an idiot.

>most of his opinions are formed from an antagonistic perspective by refuting what the masses believe, and he hopes to differentiate himself with these stances
correct, but it's only incidental. the "masses" aren't inherently wrong about everything; they just very often are.

>he carefully selected a handful of artists to defend, though some arose largely from circumstance and coincidence of things he's happened to read, and will gladly die on those hills and enjoy the glory of martyrdom
how else would one develop a taste?

>he has a wide interest in "the arts" and will gladly espouse opinions on music, film, philosophy, society, etc., and even some science-related stuff on occasion, but most of it firmly "i dabble"-core
so long as one concerns themselves with the quality of their entertainment, they are beyond reproach. in addition, there's some obvious hypocrisy in what you just said.

insecurity is a flaw to overcome, and in most cases a form of immaturity. you should be more tolerant of it.

hahaha you all relate to this?

because i',m the real deal baby. i am actually way smarter than all of you. i'm the one in a million.

got most of it wrong, try again

I enjoyed this meme

you're not a navy seal
I'm 19 years old.
I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.

Damn, 'you're not a navy seal' is from the blog thing I copy-pasted from, not the original pasta.

There are seven thousand one in a million dimwit.

epin

>argument mentions the "canon" as if it were a universally agreed upon reality and not just one man's idiosyncratic opinions
Bloom sycophants gtfo

so reddit it hurts, kys

contemporary lit movements are shit

26, dropped out of school completely at 13 and never went back, not gonna achieve artistic greatness but i sure love polymer clay
>he sees himself as a tortured and isolated figure who cannot integrate with modern society, but thinks he will leave a posthumous legacy
if i'm tortured and isolated, it's because of chronic illness. epilepsy is a fun time
>he is conflicted between a thirst for recognition and praise while disdaining societal benchmarks of success (possibly because he hasn't had many, so he adopted a defensive sour grapes mentality)
anonymity is kind of my thing
i either read a great deal or not at all, and it depends if i'm writing
don't give a shit about contemporary lit movements i'm only here to shitpost
don't care
i will defend no one
eh, i have little in the way of opinions of the arts, but i dabble in everything from crochet to needle-felting to oil painting to taxidermy and i'll try my hand at writing just about anything except erotica
i'm dumb as a box of bricks

Whoa , so this is the power of ideology...

>xan wit that lean
>twenty seventeen