Why the hell can't we get rid of mosquitoes?

Why the hell can't we get rid of mosquitoes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TnzcwTyr6cE
youtu.be/Mc_4Z1oiXhY?t=48m40s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

were fuckin' dum asses

they are trying to remove the gene that allow the mosquitos to spread malaria
youtube.com/watch?v=TnzcwTyr6cE

Literally impossible without harming the environment.

Why not just create a nano bot to destroy the malaria?

They say that wiping out mosquitos might upset the ecology. Birds need insects at food.

Personally, I'd say risk it!
Even if they don't carry malaria I don't like getting stung.
I'd have no moral qualms about THAT sort of genocide.
Keep a few in a cage -- just in case they turn out to be essential and need to be re-introduced.

omg you're so stupid what are you talking about now?

The animals would adapt by finding another food source. Usually I would be against wiping out a species, but this is an acception.

*sucks your blood*
heh, nothing personel kid.

fuck the environment lol.

enjoy your famine

heard of agriculture lmao? what effect some shitty flies have on our food.

"fucking the environment" will screw up agriculture

who the hell cares about malaria? I don't want those fuckers biting me either way

just make a bacteria that thrive on mosquitos and can't harm humans. ez, nothing could go wrong

I know they used to (or maybe still do) introduce some kind of larvae into ponds and lakes in some countries that feed on mosquito larva and then die, or become fish food.

lol fuck the ecosystem who cares if we might die xDDDDD

we have fucked several species off this earth and were fine lmao.

Not any key species otherwise we wouldn't be here.

OP we can get rid of mosquitoes but a lot of people think we shouldn't because of the possible ecological effects.

show me a single species that is important to the whole earth's biosphere and feeds exclusively on mosquitoes

We'll be fine without mosquitoes. Birds don't only eat mosquitoes.

It's not just about eating, which is the whole point of ecology.

Mosquitoes exist in a niche. What other insect will fill that vacant spot? If we remove adult mosquitoes, mosquito avoidance behavior will change. Places that were normally avoided are now being occupied by those who no longer get bit by mosquitoes.

What about the larvae? They're aquatic filter feeders. Will lakes and rivers be able to handle the dramatic change in micro-invertebrate communities? What about the things that eat the aquatic larvae? What will happen to the prey of the generalist predators of the mosquitoes when they're suddenly being hunted more? Will this change in diet effect predators?

Unless these questions are answered and the answers are in favor of removal, then the mosquitoes should stay.

I feel like the Earth's ecosystems are a lot more resilient and adaptable than the public thinks they are.

So we eradicate mosquitos and all these things happen, plus undoubtedly countless other changes that we aren't thinking of. And so over the course of a century or so all the parts of the world that relied on mosquitos will change or die out, then all the things that relied on those things will change or die out, etc etc, with a smaller and smaller impact every time.

and then there's no mosquitos, and my girlfriend would go camping with me.

>some kind of larvae into ponds and lakes in some countries that feed on mosquito larva
They're called dragonflies and frogs, guy.

there's lots of species of mosquito and only a few bite people, also every day >1000 species go extinct (mostly insects)
[math]yourmother[\math]

>ecosystems are a lot more resilient and adaptable
oh they are, just not necessarily in a way that would be beneficial to people

youtu.be/Mc_4Z1oiXhY?t=48m40s

Yeah it is but that doesn't mean we survive with it. We exist currently in the ecosystem that we have now because it works for us. By removing a species we're not gonna destroy a planet but it would change the environment in ways we can't predict, and since we rely on the environment for food we shouldn't mess around with that.