Anybody else have this problem? What should I do?

Whenever I try to read a book now, I find it difficult to imagine what anything or anybody in the story looks like.
I find myself searching for celebrities to play the roles in my head, and even then I have trouble keeping the appearances consistent

i just imagine all of the characters are your mom

This, especially when I read erotica. It's good to have a usual frame of reference on hand.

epic

I don't think you're supposed to imagine what characters look like, at least I know I don't think about it. The author didn't know what you'd imagine, so it can't really be important to the book?

if you grew up in the iPad your brain is just craving flashing brightly colored images - don't worry you can get over this. read books, listen to classical music, dont play video games, dont watch 8 hours of youtube. You are capable of real experience, I believe in you OP x

Please /tv/, just go away.

There's probably some kind of early draft of a possible scene from some new superhero movie that leaked today, so there's no need for you to be on Veeky Forums.

I've never had much of a visual imagination. Even when physical descriptions of characters are given, I don't pay much attention to them.

I'm not a very visual person.

>I don't think you're supposed to imagine what characters look like, at least I know I don't think about it. The author didn't know what you'd imagine, so it can't really be important to the book?

I'm banned from /tv/ right now and I want to get back into reading.

I just bought Six Four by Hideo Yokoyama.

>dont play video games, dont watch 8 hours of youtube.
I already don't do either of those things.

So then how do you read books? You picture nothing in your head at all? What do you experience?

I don't picture anything, usually. With some effort, I can imagine locations. But I generally just think in terms of the words and get a sense of the action. It's hard to describe but I never felt like this was a detriment to understanding a scene.

I am the same. Has never affected me.

I think it makes me actually relate better. If you picture people, you are "objectivizing" the book in a sense, whereas with a more general comprehension of the book it is more universal and thus applicable

what the fuck is wrong with you people

maybe i should have mentioned im autistic

I don't know if there's necessarily a correlation between the two.

The idea that you have to 'play a movie' in your head as you read a novel is a brainlet misconception of reading. Literature belongs to the realm of abstract and sublime, if you attempt to visualize the sentences you gonna misunderstand majority of it.

>if you attempt to visualize the sentences you gonna misunderstand majority of it.
seriously what the fuck does that mean

I imagine all young female characters as anime girls and all male characters as action heroes such as Clint Eastwood, Chuck Norris, or Stallone.

I also do this when I think up characters for my own novels, which are admittedly shit. I can think up a whole story just by scouring pictures of anime girls and then pick a badass leading man to pair up with her.

Is all of Veeky Forums autistic?

yah aha xD

Visualization is not an important part of reading.

And something else in the other hand

Say that again.

So you just stare at the words on the page without taking anything in?
How do you experience anything from reading?

You don't need to visualize to "take things in."

It doesn't happen automatically for you?

I just listen to E-books with my eyes closed. So I can maximize the visuals.

Sometimes, but sometimes not.

>he watches TV

>my thread is still up
thank God