He might been an asshole, but he did write some epic stuff

He might been an asshole, but he did write some epic stuff.
Your favorite P. K. Dick novel?

what made him an asshole?

ubik or three stigmata

Crack/dope addict. Overall just an idiot. Being pedophile (well almost).

>Crack/dope addict
thought he mostly did amphetamines and later hallucinogens. also how does that make him an asshole?

>Overall just an idiot
based on what? he always seemed intelligent to me. insane, but intelligent.

>Being pedophile (well almost).
story?

>>He might been an asshole,
>Not saying dick
The joke was handed to you on a platter and you missed it.

Being on speed/amp does make you an asshole, ive been there,
Read some bios
Gf was like 18, he being old and stinky.
Again read bios

Im sure in 5 minutes from now, someone gonna call me a dick.

if your best reasoning for him being an asshole is that he did a lot of stims and people tend to act like assholes while on stims, you don't have very good reasoning. cmon mate give us something more specific if you've got it.

I believe I said 'read bios' twice. I didnt know him personally, I read the bios, got it!

>18
Old hag, not even remotely

and presumably you learned a few things from those bios, right? well relay the information buddy. you don't just call someone an asshole and then offer no real justification for it.

Should I qoute the whole book or passages then. Even so, I doub t you will be satisfied.
Why even read bios.

you can summarize an anecdote or two can't you? i'm not asking much and you've done nothing to defend your assertion that dick was an asshole. i'm not even challenging it, i'm simply curious.

You couldnt even...
In 1971, Dick's marriage to Nancy Hackett broke down, and she moved out of their shared home. Dick descended into amphetamine abuse, eventually allowing a number of other drug users to move into the house with him. One day in November of that year, Dick returned to his home in San Rafael to discover that it had been burgled, with his safe blown open and personal papers missing. The police were unable to determine the culprit, and even suspected Dick of having done so himself. Shortly afterwards, he was invited to be guest of honor at the Vancouver Science Fiction Convention in February 1972. Within a day of arriving at the conference and giving his speech The Android and the Human, he informed people that he had fallen in love with a woman that he had met there, called Janis, and announced that he would be remaining in Vancouver. An attendee of the conference, Michael Walsh, movie critic for local newspaper The Province, invited Dick to stay in his home, but had to ask him to leave two weeks later due to his erratic behavior. This was followed by Janis ending her and Dick's relationship and moving away. On March 23, 1972, Dick attempted to commit suicide by consuming an overdose of the sedative potassium bromide. Subsequently, after deciding to seek help, Dick became a participant in X-Kalay (a Canadian Synanon-type recovery program), and was well enough by April that he was able to return to California.
-wiki

where was he an asshole during any of this though? there's not even so much as a mention of him pawning someone else's stuff for drug money. this just makes him look like a troubled addict who was taken advantage of by other addicts.

You really dont know much about people and their psychological behavoir, do you?
Ever heard "'read between the lines "
You wanna fight, fight yourself, I gotta move on.
Take care, friendo.

>Ever heard "'read between the lines "
that's what brought me to the "troubled addict"' conclusion. still not sure where you found "asshole" but be on your way if you don't want to continue.

later due to his erratic behavior. This was followed by Janis ending her and Dick's relationship and moving away. On March 23, 1972, Dick attempted to commit suicide.
It literally spells @asshole

Right now my favorites are VALIS, Ubik and A Scanner Darkly.

The Divine Invasion and Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said were also pretty good reads.

Favorite short story? The Electric Ant or Roog

>but had to ask him to leave two weeks later due to his erratic behavior.

He probably was a dick sometimes but I don't think so based on what I've read of him. I doubt that you could say that he was an asshole as a defining personality trait tho.

desu I think you just want him to be an asshole.

>It literally spells @asshole
not really. i mean sure it could, but i see no compelling reason why such things couldn't also merely signal @troubledaddict.

Lol, not really, i dont gief a fuck.

I've read a good amount of his novels and can say I've really enjoyed them all with the exception of The Man in the High Castle. That's his only bad/boring work.

Ubik

I see your point. Like I hit my gf, but jeez, had a bad upbringing. We gonna face IT, NO APOLOGIES

except nowhere in your excerpts does pkd act violently toward anyone. if anything, people acted violently toward him.

It was an example.
Like you said he might act like an asshole, but he really wasnt, it was the drugs fault. We get that.

the problem is, you haven't even demonstrated that he ever acted like an asshole for me to be able to blame that behavior on drugs. all you've shown is he had marital issues, a drug habit, and "erratic behavior," whatever that entails.

So having an erratic behavoir is fine? Call it on the drugs! Youre giving me ideas.
I gave you plenty examples on wiki. You can read bio. I got some on my Kindle, not gonna highlight and upload,,transfer, download, copy. insert.

what does "erratic behavior" even mean? if it means beating your gf then if course you're an asshole. if it means ranting about tulpas and artificial realities to the point that your host becomes uncomfortable (which seems far more likely in dick's case), then it's not really "fine," but it certainly doesn't make you an asshole.

>asshole

he was known for being a friendly and nice man

He strikes me as interesting, I find his communism repulsive. He seems intelligent though, any anons have any recommendations to where he justifies his belief?

V.A.L.I.S changed my life

he left communism behind with his ex-wife m8, he was more just anti-authoritarian

I didn't like how the whole plot changed half way through from a fun story about a piano company building robots to everyone suffering treble mental health issues

Ubik has been my favorite so far out of the four that I've read. I just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? last night and think it may be a little overrated.

fragility of reality my dude. I think pkd is at his best when his plots break down and go into wild, nightmarish directions.