F Scott Fitzgerald

What do you all think of him?

I sometimes think he's unambitious, but I still hardly ever find better more cogent writers than him.

I'd be surprised if you knew what cogent means.

Well, we now know you didn't know what it meant until you googled it before this comment.

That's a cute response.

Can you guys just answer the fucking question

I want to know your thoughts

If I were to tell you I think he's unambitious, but I still hardly ever find more cogent writers than him, will that satisfy you?

I feel like he's a bit underrated on this board to be honest. He has some of the nicest prose out there. I only enjoyed Melville's writing more than his.

Only a little

two men standing on a log over a river, fighting each with Q-tips as their weapons

I was just trying to bait user into going into depth about what he finds Fitz writes cogently about. Or in what way. Or any comment at all as to why he thinks he's unambitious, tGG seems to me to be very ambitious in particular.

kys

To be clear and concise, don't you have to be quite unambitious? Both halves of his sentence mean pretty much say the same thing. I don't think there is any contradiction. Although, it's not a very interesting opinion.

>he hasn't read Woolf

I did but it just felt like pretentious drivel.

>he hasn't read Melville

As far as Americans go I'd rather read
Mellvile
Ozick
Updike
Hawthorne
Updike
Bellow (Canadian, but same ballpark)
Carver
F. O'Connor

but Fitzgerald is still good, though maybe not great.

calm down

To even start naming authors you'd rather read implies there are few. There are legitimately hundreds of writers I'd rather read before Fitzgerald.

Can you expand on this? I don't want to say you're a stupid faggot right now.

His prose is very pretty, but what I meant by him being cogent was that his journalistic ability could stand alongside his romantic waxings in a way that didn't distance me from the life being examined, I thought he struck a balance between being totally absorbed in his own head and keenly aware of his surroundings that manifested as very clear, easy to understand storytelling.

Her use of language is very intelligent but fails to really transmit anything profound. She's a good writer, just not such a good thinker.

America has never produced a decent writer. Plenty of good, and even great, prose stylists. But that's where the USA's talent ends. Which also explains why Veeky Forums retards are so hung up on american literature. You guys mostly care about prose because you are shallow readers. Style over substance. Fags.

Fucking yikes.

Urbane, but when you scratch the surface there's just more surface, if when vaguely existential.