What are some beginner to intermediate level philosophy books that gives a synopsis of all of the general topics?

What are some beginner to intermediate level philosophy books that gives a synopsis of all of the general topics?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/The-Great-Conversation-Historical-Introduction/dp/0195397614/
amazon.com/Plato-Complete-Works/dp/0872203492/
amazon.com/Complete-Works-Aristotle-Vol-1/dp/069101650X/
amazon.com/Complete-Works-Aristotle-Vol-2/dp/0691016518/
amazon.com/City-Penguin-Classics-Augustine-Hippo/dp/0140448942/
amazon.com/Summa-Theologica-Thomas-Aquinas-Volumes/dp/0870610635/
amazon.com/Discourse-Method-Optics-Geometry-Meteorology/dp/0872205673/
amazon.com/Descartes-Meditations-First-Philosophy-Selections-Objections/dp/0521558182/
amazon.com/Introduction-Logic-Methodology-Deductive-Sciences/dp/048628462X/
amazon.com/Introduction-Metamathematics-Stephen-Cole-Kleene/dp/0923891579/
amazon.com/Mathematical-Logic-Dover-Books-Mathematics/dp/0486425339/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditations
global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-probability-and-philosophy-9780199607617?type=listing&subjectcode2=1804895|SCI01470&subjectcode1=1804195|SCI00010&lang=en&cc=ca
amazon.com/Story-Philosophy-Opinions-Greatest-Philosophers/dp/0671739166#
gutenberg.org/wiki/Philosophy_(Bookshelf)#General_introductions
plato-dialogues.org/email/950404_1.htm)
classics.mit.edu/Browse/browse-Plato.html;
philosophybasics.com/index.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>philosophy
not science or math

>philosophy
>not math

>philosophy
>not science

hey buddy i think you got the wrong board, the board your looking for is Veeky Forums and 2 blocks down.

don't desu

Do:
-Get a background on the greeks from wikipedia and SEP
-Read whichever Platonic dialogues interest you
-Read Meditations on First Philosophy
-Read Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
-Read Kant
-Read whatever the fuck else you want

Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin is a treatise on analytic philosophy. Be warned: he is incredibly verbose in his exposition. Some complain that this, in fact, makes Rudin a book for brainlets. However, I think you'll find it useful given your level of knowledge.

Really?

Philosophy = stupid faith stuff
Science = smarty pants facts

>Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin
Rudin is a meme

The problem is there is that it's such a broad topic. Personally, I like to get an overview and then pursue what appears most interesting.

Tbh philosophy doesn't work that way. There's a couple of books titled "A History of Western Philosophy" that are more or less what you're looking for - the most famous and probably the worst one is by Bertrand Russell (you can find a pdf of that online using google). I wouldn't recommend it though, philosophy is an incredibly broad topic and general books wont be able to teach you everything.

Uh what questions are you interested in? I can point you to some thinkers/books/papers that relate to them.

Name a better introduction to analytic philosophy. You won't find a better discussion of it for beginners than Rudin's.

>OP makes thread
>why is black IQ so low
>250 posts, makes new thread once auto saging

>OP makes thread
>philosophy thread
>10 posts, mods delete cause not "science"

IQ is psychology, hence science.

Philosophy is not science.

Thanks guys

No questions really. Just trying to get some general knowledge. Used do some reading on it but strayed from it for some reason.

>Philosophy is not science.
Maybe, but it is continuous with science and math

E.g. is schrodinger's cat science or philosophy? is the Principia Mathematica math or philosophy? is formal logic math or philosophy?

The most important thing is to stay the hell away from youtube channels like crash course and the school of life.

SEP is a great resource, r/askphilosophy is pretty good as well.

Do you mind telling me what kind of stuff your interested in?

Philosophy is basically split into two:

Analytic: "STEM" philosophy - a lot of rigorous logic and argumentation, emphasis on thought experiments and conceptual analysis. Clear definitions and style. USA/UK/Australia/Austria (for some reason). Famous People: Gottlob Frege, Betrand Russell, Ludwig Wittgenstein, WVO Quine, Saul Kripke

Continental: "Liberal Arts" philosophy - more concerned with meaning and interpretation. Focus on "lived experience" and subjectivity. Very concerned with the history of the subject. Sometimes labeled as being obscurantist. Much more political on average than Analytic philosophy. France/Germany/Italy. Famous People: Edmund Husserl, Martin Heidegger, Jean-Paul Sartre

>E.g. is schrodinger's cat science or philosophy?
schrodinger's cat is pseudoscience

>is formal logic math or philosophy?
not math

amazon.com/The-Great-Conversation-Historical-Introduction/dp/0195397614/
amazon.com/Plato-Complete-Works/dp/0872203492/
amazon.com/Complete-Works-Aristotle-Vol-1/dp/069101650X/
amazon.com/Complete-Works-Aristotle-Vol-2/dp/0691016518/
amazon.com/City-Penguin-Classics-Augustine-Hippo/dp/0140448942/
amazon.com/Summa-Theologica-Thomas-Aquinas-Volumes/dp/0870610635/
amazon.com/Discourse-Method-Optics-Geometry-Meteorology/dp/0872205673/
amazon.com/Descartes-Meditations-First-Philosophy-Selections-Objections/dp/0521558182/
amazon.com/Introduction-Logic-Methodology-Deductive-Sciences/dp/048628462X/
amazon.com/Introduction-Metamathematics-Stephen-Cole-Kleene/dp/0923891579/
amazon.com/Mathematical-Logic-Dover-Books-Mathematics/dp/0486425339/

It's a thought experiment - it's not supposed to be taken LITERALLY (e.g. no one thinks something like a cat would actually be in superposition in this scenario, besides many-minds theorists I guess - the question is whether subatomic particles are).

It's a thought experiment around a scientific theory - it has nothing to do with the scientific method but that's the same for a lot of physics these days.

Such as? And, no String "Theory" isn't physics yet.

why don't you fuck off and stop shitposting about topics you know nothing or even care about?

roughly 99% of cosmology

>why don't you fuck off
Why the vulgarity?

If we took the scientific method (tm) that seriously physics would have died after Newton

Why the faggotry?

>scientific method
No such thing.

Not my original intent but your post has intrigued me a little bit. Would you recommend any works that would be applicable for day-to-day life? Different ways of thinking?

I was really just looking for a balance of light entertainment and knowledge but I could go either way. Something to read before bed.

>Would you recommend any works that would be applicable for day-to-day life?
meditations

No need to. This man already debunked philosophy.

>hasnt read him
great post, brainlet

Can you elaborate?

That's Wittgenstein

Anyways he didn't "debunk philosophy" - he was against grand, systematic, overarching philosophical theories, and thought that the field should focus on clearing up confusions and clarifying ideas rather than advancing specific viewpoints of the world

He's a pretty important thinker but a lot of ideas are controversial

I appreciate it. Thought you might been sarcastic at first.

I'm not the guy who posted that,

but unlike him I've actually read Wittgenstein

You don't need to read many books of past philosophers, the brain is intrinsically philosophical, or at least it was until schooling.

Just question everything. Don't pledge allegiance to anything.

Like Descartes or actual meditation?

>Like Descartes or actual meditation?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditations

i think he meant meditations by marcus aurelius

That's like thousands of years m8, for western philosophy alone. There are several "history of philosophy" books, you could try one of them.

an introduction to philosophy by john nuttall is a good book to start with.

I hear that there are some pretty high level philosophical concepts in the Rick and Morty comic book series, you should start there.

Read Heisenberg's "Philosophy and Physics"

psychology is pseudoscience, tho

Math is just applied philosophy ;)

School of life is useful if you watch their series on philosophers and use that as a way to get a quick disruption of a philosopher and their works. It's their other videos are not so great.

all you really need

this book is a bit like you describe

LIT WE GAVE YOU YOUR OWN FUCKING BOARD

GET OUT
GTFO REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wrong board user, you won't really get an answer here

Oxford has handbooks on the philosophy of every subject, what they are is a collection of all the most recent papers on the subject this is what you want. For example here's the Oxford handbook to Probability and Philosophy global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-probability-and-philosophy-9780199607617?type=listing&subjectcode2=1804895|SCI01470&subjectcode1=1804195|SCI00010&lang=en&cc=ca

Will Durant, "The Story of Philosophy: The Lives and Opinions of the World's Greatest Philosophers"
ISBN-13: 978-0671739164, ISBN-10: 0671739166
amazon.com/Story-Philosophy-Opinions-Greatest-Philosophers/dp/0671739166#

>it has nothing to do with the scientific method but that's the same for a lot of physics these days.
t. not a scientist

Take a nap, Ducky. All that cortisol is bad for your health. ;)

>roughly 99% of cosmology
Lol

Apparently not

nigger what does this even mean
>What are some beginner to intermediate level science books that give a synopsis of all the general topics?
This is what you sound like.

t. has never seen a general science book, possibly any book at all

>>What are some beginner to intermediate level science books that give a synopsis of all the general topics?

Counterfactuals by David Lewis if you want to learn about modalities

# General advice
- start with the Greeks
- if you start to fall asleep stop reading
- to analyse a segment, write down key conclusions and summarize or otherwise look at the premises and logic

# Main topics
- history of philosophy
- metaphysics (
- epistemology
- ontology
- aesthetics
- ethics
- theology (is its own entire field too)

# Optional: introductory texts
gutenberg.org/wiki/Philosophy_(Bookshelf)#General_introductions

# Starting out with Plato
The appropriate reading order is sometimes debated. My favourite order is by topic:
>1st tetralogy (getting started): Alcibiades I + Lysis/Laches/Charmides
>2nd tetralogy (the sophists): Protagoras +Hippias major/Hippias minor/Gorgias (updated 10/21/2017, see note above)
>3rd tetralogy (Socrates'trial): Meno + Euthyphro/Apology/Crito
>4th tetralogy (the soul): Symposium + Phædrus/Republic/Phædo
>5th tetralogy (logos): Cratylus + Ion/M Euthydemus/Menexenus
>6th tetralogy (dialectic): Parmenides + Theætetus/Sophist/Statesman
>7th tetralogy (kosmos): Philebus + Timæus/Critias/Laws
(Source: plato-dialogues.org/email/950404_1.htm)
Laws and Republic are very lengthy so you might want to continue reading through the list even if you haven't finished them yet. Online HTML versions are available here: classics.mit.edu/Browse/browse-Plato.html; but eBook versions are rarer to come by.

# Why start with Plato?
After Socrates/Plato, many Greek and Roman philosophers will make a lot of sense.

# But I want to start with Kant/Hegel/Nietzsche/Descartes/Aquinas
You can, if you like. Some modern philosophical work is really accessible.

>HURRR philosophy isn't science
Science is a subset of philosophy. Without philosophy there is no science.

philosophybasics.com/index.html
kek