Classes we hate

Name a class you just couldn't pass. That one class that made you want to curb stomp the professor and then fuck his wife with a spiked condom

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_Process
math.dartmouth.edu/~euler/docs/originals/E053.pdf
archive.org/details/leconegrarecher00leberich
ics.uci.edu/~pattis/ICS-46/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

religious studies

CS majors belong in the

Seminar on algebraic number theory.
Advisor made me pick it up because my thesis was very remotely connected to it. I stopped attending which almost lead to me dropping out of the PhD program.

Differentiable Manifolds

Intro to Engineering. Not even meming, it was one of the most miserable experiences of my life.

>I hope you like making flow charts!
>I hope you like team work!
>I hope you like wasting 3 hours in a lab!
>I hope you like meaningless data tables!
>I hope you like Microsoft Excel!

What a total clusterfuck.

this brainletitude calls for new oc

>tfw fail english 102 three times because it was too stupid and every professor is a twenty something woman

java programming

Immunology

Excel is a dick when you have to do anything other than a graph

Biochemistry.

Ended up passing immunology after a summer repeat but still hate it

Passed it but just barely just like physics

Probability for me. Measure-theoretic probability isn't that hard but Christ that fucking prof.
>every exam is full of retarded problems he can't even solve when asked
>almost everyone (in a 3rd year class) fails
>curve it _just_ enough so most people squeak out with a horrible grade

I never failed a class, but the mandatory humanity classes I had to take made me wish to kill myself.

>can't pass a class
>gets angry at the professor
idiot

Measure theory fuck this shit

Measure theory

Are you kidding me? Calc II is EASY, I took that in high school. Brainlet.
CS slave-race must go back.

Fuck Physical Chemistry and my smug ass professor

Fuck measure theory. I couldn't pass even when the professor was a perfect teacher. Made me go from phd to ms.

The young adult generation of Americans are very dumb and lazy creatures. They hate hard work, and blame their stupidity and laziness on their teachers. Life is not a video game. You have to experience pain in order to grow. In 10 years, China will be world leader in technology and science, while American sit around home doing drugs and playing video games, blaming their disgusting character defects on their professors.

>t. average stats graduate
Maths master-race graduates can easily transition to a stats graduate curriculum.

>professor is a idiotic moron who can't teach
>blames student for not learning anything
idiot

Just out of curiosity, when you call a course "Calc II", is the content the same for all American universities? Because I see it thrown around a lot and everybody seems to know what it entails, while it is not standardized at all here in Europe and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Yea, it's pretty standard here. Generally speaking, Calc II is integral calculus in 2D and sequences and series, where calc I is differentiation and limits. Calc III is both but in 3D.

Nobody actually likes hard work, user. People only like the reward.

>/g/hetto
I'm stealing this meme

>measure theory
What is this meme? Why is it hard? Isn't measure theory just the formalization behind integrals? Isn't that super easy peasy. I mean, I know it counts as modern mathematics but what could make it so hard compared to stuff like topology and other modern math? Why are so many people in this thread specifically shitting on measure theory?

>t. someone taking measure theory next semester

Honestly, in Uni you shouldn't ever expect to get everything from your professor. You gotta study yourself from whatever sources you're most comfy with, be them books, course videos or whatever. The role of a professor is to only introduce you to the topics that are to be evaluated.

The contents of Calc I, II and III are pretty standard worldwide. I live somewhere in Latin America and here our courses are pretty much the same as says. The reason behind this is because there's an agreement between most countries to ensure compatibility in the standards and contents of higher education across the globe: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_Process

Shit, even in R or Python(w/matplotlib that is) you can create a basic histogram in way less time assuming your data is well organized.

I know that feel. They weren't that hard for me, but I feel as though they were a waste of time. I could have just gone to the fucking library. Great GPA booster at least.

there hasn't been one.
you don't even belong on /g/

if you're talking about bc calc the ap is piss easy and covers less than half of the material prepackaged in easy bake problems
if not then i'm just talking out of my ass

>graduating soon
>STILL haven't completed them
i can't even take gpa boosters because all the gpa booster classes at my school are babby classes that fill the math/stem requirements

Nigga wut? Couldn't remember your amino acids? Honestly one of my favorite classes

they are brainlets trying to do analysis with little mathematics background

measure theory is difficult in the sense that it abstracts every intuition you have. it also explains things like why integration over an entire space is sufficient compared to integrating with limits.

>what could make it so hard compared to stuff like topology and other modern math
Measure Theory is much more modern and advanced than Topology.

Topology was invented in 1736:
math.dartmouth.edu/~euler/docs/originals/E053.pdf
Measure Theory was invented in 1904:
archive.org/details/leconegrarecher00leberich

Is there anything in current mathematics research that may appear in undergrad courses in the near future? Any basic concepts one could rework overall/introduce in a more coherent manner?

in brazil, currently in the last one

Calc1 - Limits, integral and differentiation

Calc2 - ODE, Analytical Geometry and partial differentiation

Calc3 - Double and triple integrals, Green's theorem, Gauss's Lawn and Stoke's theorem

Calc4 - Laplace transform, Series, Sequences and PDE

best-3
worst-4
hardest-1

Series were the only hard part about Calc II for me. I forgot all the convergence tests now that I've left it behind.

Physics 1 and I'm doing physics.

Communications Engineering in Germany.

>86% fail rate
>no grading curve, ever

I usually pass everything without really trying to I was dissapointed when I didnt try and failed calc II.

All the stuff about sigma algebra and measure can make fuckin hard problem

Is that where you learn to understand if a migrant wants some ficki ficki?

Sure. Essentially all research being done in ODEs can be understood by an undergraduate student.

networks
it's just memorizing protocols

Sounds fucking terrible

Database theory. Fuck 3rd Normal forms, and fuck those group projects where all of the work gets allotted to the A student in the group.

English all through secondary school. The writing killed me, everything was too open ended and subjective

r-rude sempai

It's not hard. It's just ugly.

Data structure implementation and analysis (in C++)
The content wasn’t the most difficult, it was the amount of work just for this one class

ics.uci.edu/~pattis/ICS-46/
Take a look at the weekly schedule and programming assignments
Project every 2 week, with a quiz due every single week. Work every single day of the week. The projects and quizzes and are extremely long and boring(literally implementating data structures in different ways). So much work just for one class.

>measure theory is difficult in the sense that it abstracts every intuition you have
But that does not make something difficult. Linear Algebra abstracts every intuition you have, but it is widely considered trivial.

But that doesn't really matter either. If you compare the axioms of topology and the axioms of measure theory, do you think either of them looks "harder" than the other? Not really, they are just modern math. Which means you need to have a solid grasp of logic to understand the concepts.

Someone who could not understand the axioms of measure theory could not understand the axioms of topology either.

>All the stuff about sigma algebra and measure can make fuckin hard problem

I suppose this is valid. I'll have to see when I get there.

To add, each lecture he posts about 30 pages worth of notes written in plaintext. (There are 3 lectures a week)

Again, the content wasn’t hard, just miserable. Even the smartest of students were annoyed with the workload.

But people keep telling me that measure theory is beautiful.

Holy shit I thought I was the only one, my friends would always give me crap for bitching about this class.

Seems rough but you can say that the Professor atleast tried to emphatize you need to work hard to pass the class. You can tell that he wanted to sure that you understood the material well.
Sometimes rather over the top but in the end you can say you learnt atleast something.

Your way of writing is the most obnoxious and infuriating I've come upon so far. Congratulations you absolute fucking waste of space, you've managed to enrage me not by the content of your comment, which is just you being a little bitch boy about a subject you're too much of a brainlet to understand, but by its very form. Please fuck off.

measure theory is not trivial at all, but it's not particularly hard either. it's just classic analysis: just a shitload of inequalities, but instead of epsilon you use epsilon over 2^k. is the best answer really.

this
worst part is, I think it was a 1 credit hour class

Numerical methods

My first physics 1 class (I dropped it and took it with another professor and had no problem with it) , it wasn't the material that was hard but the structure of the class. You were graded not only on your knowledge of the material but your programming skills. I didn't know this and the labs were all about writing programs in vpython. Inb4 "hurr durr brainlet, python is easy!" Yes but for someone who had never done programming at that time and not expecting the class to be 50/50 physics and programming, it really was tough for me.

Linear (matrix) algebra. Was required, so had to pass. Took me 3 times. Have never used it.

Any programming class. It's just so boring I can't bring myself to learn it

Linear algebra. No idea why, but I find it difficult to get a feel for it

>vpython
disgusting desu

bc you didn't have a good one yet

is this what is it like to live in the us?

>measure theory
>beautiful

That's what my professors tell me, man. Are they lying? Is it a trick because they hate me and want to destroy my perfect GPA?

vikki a qt

No, this is what it’s like to go to UC irvine.

>struggling with calculus
just change to political science already

Genuinely wondering this as well, what's the point of going to a prestigious Ivy League school if you are gonna get taught the same omnipresent "Calc 1-3"? In the UK you can clearly tell a better university from another by the fact they teach a more rigorous or advanced course, hence the higher grade requirements.

I haven't had any bad grades yet but the classes which have been the most tedious to do the work for have been Statistics and anything that has to do with Excel.

I don't mind classes with hard theory because even though it might be challenging, at least once you understand it, applying it isn't that bad. The ones that are just mindless tedium are the worst. The ones with repetitive processes and lists of specific terms one needs to memorize that are often not named in an intuitive manner.

I'm finishing up a measure theory course right now.

Every intuition you picked up on integrals from your other classes is torn to shreds. You can pretty much forget all the integration techniques they taught you, because you almost never compute any but the most trivial integrals directly.

Most of the problems are just asking you to come up with counterexamples to claims you previously would have thought were obviously true. And they're all totally nontrivial; even the innocuous ones have many subtleties that require careful argumentation.

The computational problems are usually not straightforward as you're accustomed. They often entail coming up with very creative bounds for several different cases.

Oh yeah, most of big theorems you'll use in this class are inequalities. I'd say 90% of the computations you'll do will be bounding something in two steps. If you're one of those people who likes to compute things directly, you're gonna have a bad time.

>transfer to german uni from america
>never took proper calc
>get ass fucked first semester

should i just quit? i could pass, but having to study 8 hours a day for 3 years doesnt seem worth it

how are we, as americans, complacent with the fact that germans learn at 18 what we learn in the 4th semester of uni?

>fail english 102 three times because it was too stupid
Or was it because you were stupid?

Public Speaking, not because I have any phobias; I told my professor that her mandatory lectures were boring, speech outlines are stupid, and that I wasn't going to buy a textbook for her class.

I am slightly short sited.

>Linear Algebra abstracts every intuition you have
beg pardon

This. Linear algebra is about as intuitive as it gets.