Professor has office hours immediately after class is over

>professor has office hours immediately after class is over

that's when you're most fresh to discuss it right? also fuck off, office hours are a huge pain in the ass and usually no one comes but im still forced to sit there for 2 hours. ive missed fucking 7 free food events so far this semester

I never go in, you're welcome

I'm that student who goes in and essentially forces you to do all my homework for me by asking "how do i do this problem?", "what about that one?", etc.

>ive missed fucking 7 free food events so far this semester

then change your fucking office hours.

it's obnoxious because it's usually the early or midday classes that pull this shit which is exactly when other classes take place.

>professor has office hours during another class

>professors should schedule their office hours around the students classes

you're right, we should just make office hours during the actual class, that way no one in the class can make it to office hours

>every student has the exact same schedule
>professors should have office hours past 5 since brainlets have trouble with calculus

>only calculus has office hours
>students shouldn't be proactive and build relationships with professors or ask questions about either the course or self study subjects, just because you don't want to miss another free meal

>students shouldn't be proactive and build relationships with professors

No you shouldn't.

Fuck off.

>students shouldn't be proactive and build relationships with professors
>No you shouldn't.
>Fuck off.

So you're that prof...

why even bother teaching then if you don't even care about interested or proactive students?

I don't even know why office hours exist

>not emailing the professor to setup an appointment

I went once, there were 100 kids there and 1 TA. I waited 30 min before my friends showed me how to do the problem in 2 sec.

I'm not him or a teacher but I get it.
Who is his "relationship" going to serve? Presumably he just browses Veeky Forums and teaches Calc II. He can't get anyone a job. He just wants to do his 9 to 5 and get home for more epic Veeky Forums debates

this senpai

Then who should I wine and dine to find jobs and an internship?

Nobody.
Get skills that people need and rack up credentials that prove your worth and get a job doing something most cant.
The notion that your first job HAS to come from nepotism is dumb

anyone who has connections in the field

your chances of getting a job increase quite a bit when you do this, since if you have enough connections you likely won't even need to go through the full interview process

plus if you work on projects with whoever you have connections with, you gain some experience and you can possibly add that to your resume

not to mention how useful they can be for senior projects or independent studies

the only people who say it's a meme are just people who either didn't try or weren't able to make meaningful connections

>professor has office hours immediately after class is over
>have another class immediately after as well
;-;

I love when no one shows up, I can get work done. I fucking hate when students come in and say things like "nothing makes sense" instead of coming up with specific questions.

>professor's assignment says "...iterate through the elements of the vector, displaying each one."
>two female students come in
>point at that line and ask "What does that mean?"
>I ask "What part don't you understand?"
>"Why can't you just explain the whole thing?"
>"Ok, iterate through the elements of the vector, displaying each one."
>"Yeah, that's what it says, what does that mean?"
>"Which words don't you understand?"
>"None of them."
This kind of bullshit just makes me want to jump off a building

you would love me, i ask very specific questions.

THIS
I've e-mailed, or just asked people in person, and they've always been willing to set aside half an hour to talk about whatever. Often times it's not even related to the course — got book recs from my American Lit. professor, got help with a side project from my C++ professor, played ping-pong with the TA from one of my Data Structures classes. Ask, and you shall receive.

In other words, you actually put some work in yourself, so you know what you're having difficulty with. That's how it's supposed to work.
But some kids have been led to believe the TA's job is to spoonfed them everything. They won't open the textbook and won't look anything up, they won't even use a dictionary if they don't know a word.

>being good at what you do instead of just sleeping your way to the top
sucker

>student comes to office hours just to try and impress me with shit he read from a wikipedia page
There's always one per semester. Fuck off and let me work on my research.

Don't complain, it's your job Jamal

>office hour
>ask a question about the hard homework problem
>It's trivial, just apply X and do Y

I fucking hate you guys

Undergrad or grad? If former, many professors learned it 40 years ago so forget that it's not always trivial when you first see shit. Mixing research with teaching was a mistake.

>be post grad
>never ever gone to see a professor about anything before
I honestly didnt know people actually do this.

Most colleges have a schedule when classes occur. I'm just saying don't complain about nobody showing up to your office hours when it's at an inconvenient time. You just taught something new and I wasted 2 hours listening to you lecture about something I probably could have learned from a book. I have a handful of days where I'm in class until 7, which is not to say that you should have office hours that late, it's just bullshit to be whining about having to explain things "past 5" as if that's a major inconvenience to you.

>I'm just saying don't complain about nobody showing up to your office hours when it's at an inconvenient time.

I assure you no one is complaining that no one shows up to office hours

>You just taught something new and I wasted 2 hours listening to you lecture about something I probably could have learned from a book.

Then why attend the lecture faggot? Why not just read from the book.

>college student tips says to go office hours and become friends with TA's/professors so they like you and go easy on grading
>understand material so don't ask questions
>office hours are as OP says I got other classes
>tests get graded harshly because ta/professor don't know me
I understand the material, I just make silly calculation errors

>tests get graded harshly because ta/professor don't know me
Srsly, who does this?
With big enough classes I make an effort of not remembering students names, so it won't even happen on accident. Never taught a small one (

How many of your gooks and chinks cheat?

No idea, we only have Hispanics here.
And of those, I estimate 2% to cheat sufficiently to affect their grade, the rest tries but even with cheating will fail the same way.

>I understand the material, I just make silly calculation errors
me in a nutshell but i ask questions cus im not dumb

>mfw I would have gotten 100% on my calc exam but at the last step of a question I wrote down 1/3 + 1/3 as being = 1/9

i ask questions on stuff i cant simulate in my head until it works. sometimes i dont end up satisfied and learn of flaws in certain disciples. but i figress, i fucking dropped out mainly because the classmates laughed when i asked questions
there was nothing to learn, the oldest teachers didnt give a shit because they wade through garbage every
fucking day
with college witholding specific info needed to truly cause an upheaval in the debtslavery system, i just fucking stopped going to class fof a month
contemplated life
then left

i know that feel but you seem to be on the nxt lvo, the third level. 2nd level being me with 1st be normans

Office hours should be after all classes are done.

>ive missed fucking 7 free food events so far this semester

I'm sure you didn't need those, chubber.

>professors should be in their offices from 5-8 so that white girls and brainlets can get help on calc

>I'm sure you didn't need those, chubber.
im a skinny rail, it's more free food = money i dont spend and get to save instead

You fuck free food events?

wait wait wait. if i spend my money on things, im falling into the jew plot of consumerism. but if i save my money for emergencies or traveling, im also falling for the jew plot?! HOW DO I WIN /POL/ PLEASE TELL ME?!