Which one has the best poetry, Greek or Latin?

Which one has the best poetry, Greek or Latin?

>0 answer

Is Veeky Forums that plebeian?

if they were plebs they'd answer latin. learn what your words mean.

EspaƱol.

Au contraire, Veeky Forums is being more patrician than you for not answering your shitty, lazy question.

If they were plebs, they wouldn't have Internet because it wasn't invented yet in 115 B. C. XDDDDD

Now back to the original question.

What kind of answer are you expecting, faget? Nobody here is qualified to judge two dead languages when we aren't even sure how either sounded or was recited.

You can't really compare them. Greek has wonderful works like the Iliad, but Latin has much better short-form poetry like Martial or Catullus. As well, Latin continued to be written in, both in poetry and prose for nearly a thousand years after Koine Greek lost its status as lingua franca. You just can't compare them. It's like saying "French poetry is better than Russian poetry." They can't be compared.

>Au contraire
Wow, so cultured.

>your shitty, lazy question
The point is to know Veeky Forums's opinion on the subject. Does it even have an opinion?

>Nobody here is qualified to judge two dead languages

But I thought people here were too patrician to even answer... Could it be mere incompetence instead?

Seriously, there must be four or five people with enough knowledge here.

Martial always lifts up my mood, especially since his epigrams are quite short and I can handle them with my shitty latin.
When did poetry stop being so fun and caustic and became a pretentious wank about feels anyway?

Does neo-Latin poetry really "count", by the way? Is there even one masterpiece (one in 1,000 years) written in this dead language?

Assuming you just mean post-Roman Latin? Confessiones.

Try Catullus. You're gonna need a dictionary for a lot of the words, since there's a lot of slang, double entendre, and plain old sex jokes, but Catullus ranges from funny little jabs at Roman society to some of the most heartbreaking stuff out there.

>they wouldn't have Internet
how would you know, you weren't born then

...how is Augustine post-Roman, though?

He wrote during the Fall of the Roman Empire. For example, City of God was specifically written to address people who blamed Christians for the collapse.

A lot of stuff. Dante and Petrarch wrote in Latin, besides in Italian. Thomas Aquinas, St. Augustine, St. Anselm, Giordano Bruno and many other christian philosophers wrote in Latin. Descartes, Spinoza, Bruno, Galileo and Copernicus wrote in Latin. Do I need to say more?

Latin, of course. Greek has only Homer.

is Dante 'really' latin though? Is he closer to Latin or to modern Italian?

Phrased another way: If I want to read Dante in the original, should I learn Latin or Italian?

Dante wrote both in Latin and in Italian. The Divine Comedy is in Italian, De Monarchia and De Vulgari Eloquentia are in Latin.

His Latin is simpler than the classical Latin, but it's still Latin.

>He's so pleb that he doesn't think people in 115BC were shitposting on an Athenian Philosophy imageboard