Unpowered Exoskeleton

I've been pretty interested in biomechatronics for a while, and I'd like to start building my own unpowered device like pic related. The only problem is, the subject is so multidisciplinary I don't really know where to start.

Has anyone tackled a project like this before? Should I look for reading up on human anatomy first, or the mechanics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=StyvtUowzLw
images.nature.com/original/nature-assets/nature/journal/v522/n7555/extref/nature14288-s1.pdf
images.nature.com/original/nature-assets/nature/journal/v522/n7555/extref/nature14288-s3.pdf
ted.com/talks/hugh_herr_the_new_bionics_that_let_us_run_climb_and_dance#t-562432
youtube.com/watch?v=wX9Sc88qreg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Elaborate. The only way to make humans more efficient without added power would be a more efficient use of the power already there. How do you plan to do that?

i guess evolution already tried to make efficient use of muscle energy.

the only way possible, the right materials in the right shape

you just lack imagination.

corfor for example is just an elastic harness that helps you use your body more efficiently.

I can almost guarantee this was some garage project that never involved any biomechatrofags. The only barrier now is to try to determine its long term effects but even then order pickers are still adopting it.

of course I forgot the pic

>i guess evolution already tried
this is why it's not good to "guess"

Pick a physical task your gear is supposed to help with. Do that for hours until you get really tired. Rest. Do it very intensively for a short amount of time until you get tired. Rest. Think of the worst part of the physical task and try to figure out if a spring or a plank glued somewhere to your body would help. If not, find another task. If yes, you got your idea, now prototype and optimise materials.

>decreases the energy a person expends when walking by 7 percent

We've had similar technology for over a decade. Look up "power Bock" or "jumping stilts." They go by all manner of names now due to several companies making them; Powerbocks, Kangaroo Stilts, Powerstider, Skyrunner, Powerisers, Air Trekkers, etc. We've had other more terrible tries 70 years ago with Moon shoes and 40 years ago with Russian Rocket Boots, more recently with and Kangoo Jumps. Power Bocks won out.

I worked for years on 16-inch ashida geta as part of a job. They strapped to my feet using velcro. After 8 hours on those, walking on normal ground was actually pretty tiring and super weird. The added height made a world of difference in how much energy I had to expend doing simple things even though they were heavy.

>long term effects

It helps soyboys be weak cucks. It'd be fine for someone feeble who can't exercise enough to get stronger and needs a bit of help in order to exercise and get strong. Shit like just makes you weaker and sets you up for disaster down the road. I mean look at that terrible posture and that is a fucking promotional photo.

A lot of problem with that is that most people don't know how to move their body properly. Something as simple as "lift with your legs, not your back" seems to be a concept most people have no clue about. Like how everything in Corfor's website is lifted incorrectly and does not enhance the human body's natural ability.

Those things look like they'd be a lot of fun to goof off with.

this is a quality poster and i appreciate you

I always thought about designing and doing extensive field testing with something like this on a long hiking trail.
Or maybe building a heat powered robot and feed it sticks found on the hiking trail. Never did the math to see how efficient it'd be, but I have my doubts that it'd be feasible.

On a long trail like the AT having that 7% would be HUGE, so long as you don't mind looking like an ass.

youtube.com/watch?v=StyvtUowzLw

Yeah, I want numbers as well.

I had this idea years ago for something to use for landing from great heights.

Couldn't you put a forward curvature on these to soften falls and make it easier to get up?

>It helps soyboys be weak cucks. It'd be fine for someone feeble who can't exercise enough to get stronger and needs a bit of help in order to exercise and get strong.

thanks for your insight about mass retail warehouse management. You obviously have almost no clue about how heavy the loads people have to manipulate while also bending over etc

you read the paper, it should have all the information you need.
Supplementary info even has engineering drawings of some of the parts:
images.nature.com/original/nature-assets/nature/journal/v522/n7555/extref/nature14288-s1.pdf
images.nature.com/original/nature-assets/nature/journal/v522/n7555/extref/nature14288-s3.pdf

>>We've had similar technology for over a decade. Look up "power Bock" or "jumping stilts."
there have been no rigorous studies of their effect on transport cost.

Reminds me about this:
ted.com/talks/hugh_herr_the_new_bionics_that_let_us_run_climb_and_dance#t-562432
(starts at ~9:24)

youtube.com/watch?v=wX9Sc88qreg

You are not allowed to lift anything over 25lbs where I work. Insurance will not allow it. You also are required to attend an in-house class on proper body movement and lifting when working. You must work in a shithole.

>You are not allowed to lift anything over 25lbs where I work
who's the weakling now?
People where I used to work had to lift 20+kg easily (1 or 2 vegetable/fruit crates for example).

>You also are required to attend an in-house class on proper body movement and lifting when working
As is everywhere. Reality is most people who work low qualification jobs are dumbfucks who don't give two fucks and don't understand they're hurting themselves, until one day they're basically crippled.

>You must work in a shithole.
Sure thing bud.

If it helps relieve back pain or tension in the back, it's a win-win. Those morons hurt themselves less and they are more productive as a consequence.

>who's the weakling now?

The people who slip a disc lifting 50lbs 3000 times a day and get worker's comp. Companies don't like that. Turns out you can't work people like dogs and not have problems. The other part is the people who lift with their backs. Educate them and they will be fine. We are taught to stop people who are doing it wrong and correct them. It makes for a safer work place.

Weakening yourself the was you want to means you'll be in major pain later on.

1:07 is an incredibly slow 400m time. High school girls crush that.

>1:07 is an incredibly slow 400m time. High school girls crush that.

men world record is 43s and women's is 49s. There's no way more than maybe 1 in 1000 high-school students can "crush" 1:07

Prosthetic running legs already achieve that pretty effectively.
This seems like as good an approach as any to coming up with something.

This post is incredibly wrong. Even I could break 1 minute as a poor middle distance runner. You underestimate how close the gaps are between various classes of runners.

Olympian - 43-45
College - 45-48
High School - 47-52

Add about 6 seconds for girls.