What do you think about SETI?

What do you think about SETI?

Also,
>recorded on: Wed Sep 03 21:23:03 2008
>2008

Are we really throwing so little resources at this, that there is a fucking 9-year backlog on signal analysis?

At some point, we'll probably discover radio telescopes are useless for finding small signals from other planets; or confirm this is just a simulation and there was no need to simulate aliens.

>or confirm this is just a simulation
That'd be neat

>and there was no need to simulate aliens.
this would really chap my ass. Assuming the simulation is for the actual universe, and nearly 8 billion minds and not just one consciousness experiencing a simulated reality.

If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space

SETI is useless. One of my professors gave a few talks on why it's unreasonable. Some of the main points he made: SETI is looking for radio (light) communication and emission into space peaks during a (relatively) underdeveloped period in their technological advancements. Our radio emissions are dropping with the development of fiber optics and similar modes of information transfer. In addition (assuming isotropic emission) we'd only be able to detect significant signals from within the magnitude of tens of parsecs. These two things together really undermine the value of SETI in terms of search for intelligent alien life.

The way I look at things, is that if a signal is found it certainly won't be everyday comms bleeding into space.
It would likely be Active SETI on their part.

We seem to have an aversion to Active SETI, all out top brains who bother to entertain the concept all warn of disaster. I'm hoping that any potential intelligent life out there doesn't hold that point of view.

>SETI is useless. One of my professors gave a few talks on why it's unreasonable. Some of the main points he made: SETI is looking for radio (light) communication and emission into space peaks during a (relatively) underdeveloped period in their technological advancements. Our radio emissions are dropping with the development of fiber optics and similar modes of information transfer.
I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of what SETI is actually trying to do. They aren't looking for leakage. If a civilization just like ours was present in Alpha Centauri we wouldn't be able to detect their radio leakage. SETI is actually looking for signals directed to us intentionally.

I don't mean to come off combative
Signals "sent' to us would still emit radially and diminish due to inverse square law. The calculation still accounts for similar - to - SETI communication systems. SETI looks for any form of signal communication we could pick up on

Limitations still hold on Active SETI

That said, working in the field of astrophysics there's certainly nothing wrong with staring into space. It's just a matter of how much importance is placed on it when there are other things we could focus on with more potential.

I think it's retarded that most of Seti isn't even aimed at our own galaxy

Potential intelligent lifeforms IVO M13 could likely detect the Arecibo Message if they were looking in the right place, at the right time.
That's 22kya away.

Anyone else hate how the normies dismiss aliens as being in the realm of sci-fi and ghosts, when in reality they're kind of an obvious extension of biology and abiogenesis?

I think about this a lot.
UFO Conspiracy Theorists really poisoned the Well of Social Interest as far as taking SETI seriously goes, imo

>If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space

It's probably not hard to simulate nothing, or only simulate the portion of space ww happen to be looking at.

That better not be the case. I could handle being simulated, but being simulated in any empty universe would be fucked.

It's mostly retarded rich cunts funding it and things like it. Largely useless, completely useless for finding anything to do with extraterrestrial life.

>extraterrestrial civilizations are intelligent
>so they would broadcast on hydrogen band
the whole premise was retarded

Assuming a radio broadcast, is there a logical alternative?

Probably pointless, but a worthwhile effort anyway.

The people who say that we might be chasing the wrong signals with SETI aren't wrong - there absolutely isn't a guarantee that someone will be signaling in the bands we're looking at. But the reason we chose those bands is because if we were EVER going to see a signal from the surface, it would have to be in those bands. Looking is better than not even trying.

>portion of space ww happen to be looking at.

What is the visible universe

Sounds like your professor is jelly he missed out on a Nobel.

I think the idea is, in a simulated universe, one would only need to activately simulate what's being actively observed. And only to the degree of accuracy in which it's being measured.