Does selflessness exist?

Does selflessness exist?

yea

no

well, that just about settles it

Don't ask me about it

Go to Veeky Forums faggot

Yes. But some people aren't selfless so they don't think so.

Citation: experience

how are you defining it

Yes and no. It depends on what definition you want to use.

I read this as selfishness

that about answers it

I think that what we call selflessness does exist, but selflessness is the wrong word for it. I think generosity, or benevolence, or selflessness, or whatever you want to call it, is a logical consequence of accepting that you will die some day and that the only thing you're a part of that has even a faint hope of long term survival is humanity as a whole. Given the futility of greed (I mean if you get all the cash and bitches you still croak, so it obviously doesn't make you into a God like you think it will), the only real way to not be a totally futile creature is to help others.

Depends.

I wrote about that in my diary desu

No because it's an abstract concept that can only exist in relation to already existing objects.

Can you judge someone beyond their actions?
Unless you read minds, no.
Therefore, yes. In moderation.

>tl;dr "I help others because I want to do so"

It's still a selfish act. You're just deluding yourself into thinking "helping others" is an objective good, and you think that "realization" is what allows you to "do good." I interact with others because I enjoy it, while you interact as a duty, so will never truly enjoy it

True selflessness does not exist. You only help others/ practice self sacrifice because you get something out of it. You never act against all of your interests. Even if your actions go against your direct physical interests, you would do them because of some ideal or psychological need, even if that need would be to do "the right thing" or purely out of empathy. If something wouldnt be in your interests you would not do it.

/thread

Sage and ignore all crossboarder threads

Perhaps a true Taoist might be able to pull this off.

Could you elaborate?

A unicorn might be able to violate Conservation of Energy.

It's impossible to be either completely selfless or selfish.

see wu-wei. failing that, this may hold the answer.

action through non-action, spontaneous creative engagement with reality that leads to balance and thus selflessness. but, it can't be intentional, deliberate, contrived

First define selflessness, and then we'll see if we got any data that fits it

Give me a definition

You know that getting good answers is about asking good questions and good questions are well defined

If you think you're selfless, you're not.

if you think you're not, you are.

OP's already been asked for a definition, with no response.