Why is Moby Dick not a part of the meme trilogy?

Why is Moby Dick not a part of the meme trilogy?

I think there should be a new meme trilogy: Moby Dick, Finnegan's wake, and brothers karamazov.

BK doesn't belong in this.

Na

3 greatest novels ever written:

Anna Karenina
Moby Dick
Ulysses

and imo Mason & Dixon could be a fourth

Because its good.

Neither does Moby-Dick, assuming the trilogy is there solely to be a joke.

The meme trilogy exists because, as its name implies, those three books were the ones posted most often on Veeky Forums, so often that they've become some of our board memes. Has Moby-Dick reached that level yet?

because plebs here havent read it

No

>assuming the trilogy is there solely to be a joke.
I'm so tired of this hate on FW.

It's better

the only novel that compares to Moby Dick is probably Don Quixote.

because it's not as good as the meme trilogy, or as infamous.

It's seriously weird how no one shit talks Moby Dick around here, like all other classics (and especially the meme trilogy) have their share of haters, but I hardly ever hear a word against Moby Dick.

Not that I disagree with this, I just think it's weird. Also I think I have seen it criticised a few times before but 90% of those posts were extremely obvious baits complaining about too much whaling trivia etc.

Alright, fill me in... what is the meme trilogy? Yes, I am new to these parts.

Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, Infinite Jest

Thanks. Wow, I haven't read any of those. My own trilogy of greatness, if I came up with one, would be:

The Iliad
Moby Dick
The Great Gatsby

it's probably because that without it, there would be absolutely no way for an american to compete in any literary conversation. the american literary tradition begins and ends with moby dick, user. without it, we would be overcome by the truth that our pynchons and our wallaces, and our... would all be trash if they were from any other country, and are likely never spoken of globally. Moby Dick is the only american novel besides tom sawyer that has ever passed the lips of people across the globe without at least a momentary sneer of derision. america is still desperately hoping someone will come along and write something that surpasses Moby Dick along the american culture, unfortunately, we will die in a nuclear holocaust before this day, and it's becoming more and more horrifyingly clear.

>Moby Dick is the only american novel besides tom sawyer that has ever passed the lips of people across the globe without at least a momentary sneer of derision
you're kind of a retard if you actually think this. pynchon and DFW alone proves your point wrong.

>tom sawyer
Not even Twain's best, desu.

>the only american novel besides tom sawyer
You mean Huck Finn right?

faulkner

I read it and while I did enjoy it, I didn't think it was that great. Dismiss my post as bait if you want to but the entire middle section does indeed have way too much whaling trivia and way too little plot. I don't care how GOAT his prose is, that shit seriously drags in the middle.

He really sticks the landing though, the last 70 pages or so are riveting as fuck.

Because there's no fun in tricking people into reading actual good literature.

i don't disagree.
yeah.
>without a sneer of derision
>people talk about DFW or Pynchon anywhere, let alone foreign countries
quit being delusional.

Don't skip threads!

>I read it when I was a angsty teenager meme trilogy
Don Quixote, Moby Dick, Plato - the republic
+ Anything by Nietzsche
This is what I considered to be the "meme trilogy" when I was 15, because everyone who read them said they "read I when they were 15"

Whitman, Hawthorne, Twain, Faulkner, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, Dickinson, etc. There are many great American writers besides Melville. If Europeans view them with a "sneer of derision", I could care less. That's just a completely delusional form cultural elitism. Also, there are many writers you can count (or not count) depending on how you view writers who move to or from a country. For instance, we either get Nabokov or TS Eliot, but you don't get to have it both ways and say neither were American writers.

Side note- how many countries can claim a single work of literature on par with Moby-Dick? Even then, if you really wanted a fair comparison, you'd have to exclude works written before the US was a country.

Meme trilogy
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Infinite Meme
>Ulysses

Meme Trilogy 2.0
>The Recognitions
>Women and Men
>Petersburg by Bely (?)

Classics Trilogy
>Moby Dick
>War and Peace
>there's another one but i forgot

Seriously that dude is delusional if he thinks Faulkner is someone Europeans can sneer at. I really can't think of anything written in Europe from the 1930's on that's better.

Every week we have a Moby Dick thread.

>Meme Trilogy 2.0
Women and Men
JR
Everyone's Autobiography
>Classical Meme Trilogy
Anathomy of Melancholy
In Search of Lost Time
Romance of the Three Kingdoms

I'll give you Nabokov but we're keeping Eliot.

t. Britbong

go back