How did Jordan Peterson so quickly rise to become the foremost public intellectual (and intellectual meme) of our time?

How did Jordan Peterson so quickly rise to become the foremost public intellectual (and intellectual meme) of our time?

8 months ago, nobody knew his name.

Now, he has surpassed Zizek on every conceivable level, inheriting the crown of "world's #1 public intellectual."

What enabled him to accomplish this?

Was it simply him triggering the SJWs that caused him to 'go viral,' or are there more serious literary merits that explain his success? If so, which ones?

Also, what will Zizek do now that all the cool kids go to Peterson for their psychoanalytic commentary?

This is a literature board, you dumb fag.

nevar forget

>peterson
>intellectual
he's just cashing in on the 'fuck SJWs' gravy train

>be relatively aware of current internet culture
>be psychologist
>pander

simple t b h

Nah he has produced classic works of psychology like Maps of Meaning, the anti-SJW thing is just to get more attention to his real work.

>psychology
ah, so he's a pseudoscientist aswell?

We get it.

You have envy and ressentiment.

Logo pls

>Maps of Meaning,
Sam Harris tier desu.

>literally has a 'notable people I don't like' collage

He's not a retarded commie faggot

kek

Who?
Oh, that dude /pol/ keeps talking about and who I've never heard of elsewhere.

>John Green
Delet this

This is the most triggered I have ever been

Self improvement

or rather

he's subtly christianising his viewers

His sincerity is captivating.

He's gotten a lot of press lately in national U.S news(which is viewed worldwide) for standing up against recent Canadian legislation that puts penalties on speech towards certain individual classes.
He also does a youtube channel and has lectures on various topics, and has a conservative belief system that doesn't support the social justice movement but also doesn't make people feel like they are assholes.
It's not about him, it's about what other people what and other people reacting to what other people want their governments to do, and a very popular topic these days is the government being more involved in the public/being less involved, with most of the people supporting the free stuff movement and not so happy about the censorship movement.

It's mainly because of him going against the SJWs, but also because he's giving people (mostly young men) some psychological guidance. He seems honest and people like that.

And he's somewhat conservative, which is an exception for humanity professors. So he stands out.

Žižek has been utterly BTFO and who knows if he can recover. He's getting old and he doesn't even use Youtube, Twitter and Reddit.

>Žižek has been utterly BTFO

what happened

People don't want god to be dead, because they need meaning and some Truth that guids them.
Science and modernity provides a truth, but no meaning.

Zizek just points out how one can't, not even in principle, get rid of having some ideology.
And then Zizek analyses stuff he find interesting in a way that's fun to him.
He has no attainable goals.

Peterson has a goal (prevent anything looking like Gulag and also help people "sort themselves out") and sells it by emphasising the aspects that happen to be completely in line with one side of the culture war that's going on.

Both also teach stuff that really makes your nuggets roast. peterson sells Jungian idea and is an apologetic for Christian ideals, and Zizek twist perspective and advocates some constantly self-hindering (from escalating) fascist government

he's the patriarchal figure most young men have never had in their lives after being coddled by their single mothers.

He's no longer the top choice for memes.

That has to be one of the most incoherently lumped together groups of people I've ever seen.

:^)

>How did Jordan Peterson so quickly rise to become the foremost public intellectual (and intellectual meme) of our time?
This guy is virtually unknown outside of the USA. I never heard of him.

He is unknown outside out internet political memetic discourse

>bill buckley on top of milo
>milo next to laurence krauss and moly jew
kek

It really is. A lot of people seem to imply that he's just trying to get fame by riding on anti-SJW rhetoric but I honestly don't think there's a single cynical or manipulative bone in his body.

Maybe I'm wrong, but his emphasis on father imagery and his obsession with the Pinocchio story to me reveals him as a man who's just trying to be the best father he can be to his kids, and his principles happen to be universally applicable to many young men, not just his own kids. the lack of guiding figures that most young men have today, especially in the presence of postmodern theory and the anti-masculine zeitgeist we seem to be going through, makes his ideals particularly palatable.

>People don't want god to be dead
To fucking bad because he is
>they need meaning and some Truth that guids them.
If you can't create your own meaning you don't deserve it

That's what you think, pseud.

Zizek is a intellectual to you, honestly?

Name one original idea that man had. He is a scam, everybody here in Slovenia knows he only cares about one thing, drugs.

He makes one AMA on reddit and the reddit-tier plebs spread his name all over the place. No-one cares about him, there is no 'success'.
Disgusting, go away, there is no place for you here

>knowing god is dead and still thinking that anyone "deserves" anything

This is bait.
it needs to be bait.
Because I refuse to believe someone is honestly that dumb.
>Sargon in the same collage of pseudointellectuals as Ethan Klein and Boogie and PapaFrank
Comedian, Commentator, Rap Artist. Like, they're not intellectuals. They don't claim to be.
They're comedians, what the fuck

His ideas are true and resonate with people, he's also genuine and likable.

>being so weak that without a God you can't use the verb "to deserve" anymore, even if you actually understand what "to deserve" means

This is what Nietzsche wrote about people like you (he calls them "last men"):

>'What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star?' thus asks the last man, and winks. The earth has become small, and on it hops the last man, who makes everything small. His race is as ineradicable as the flea; the last man lives longest. 'We have invented happiness,' say the last men, and they wink. They have left the regions where it was hard to live, for one needs warmth. One still loves one's neighbor and rubs against him, for one needs warmth...

>Like, they're not intellectuals. They don't claim to be.
Then they will be fine with people saying to other people not to take them seriously.

I understand that people use the word deserve to reframe what they want to happen to others as being demanded by some sort of cosmic order, thereby relieving themselves of the responsibility of their own desires. Pretty ubermensch if I do say so myself :^)

>doesn't like alex jones
you joyless creature

whats wrong with Trump?

Because he has passion and the willingness to say the unsaid, to those who need to hear it the most.

I've watched a few of his videos and you can see in his eyes a man who has had a small glimpse into the future. He has a highly tuned intuition, or awareness, and this you can see and hear in his movements, his lectures, and his work.

Make no mistake, the eyes can tell you a great deal about a man.
He is just one necessary character. He is required now and many more will rise just the same.

Volatility is coming, my friends.

Don't you have a fucking job, Peterson?

What did you mean by this?

Who are some non-meme intellectuals in the modern day, then?
Genuinely asking, not trying to shitpost.

doesn't follow the 50-year rule, hence it actually belongs here, faggot

stop with the Twitter shit

are you retarded

>tfw i know all of these - 2

ashamed of myself

also get the impression this list hasn't been updated since like 2015, maybe early 2016

He was nominated to become rector at Glasgow University, that seems somewhat known outside of US.

>"Never trust someone who tries to change the world by changing you!"

>"Let me tell you how to change yourself so that you can properly change the world!"

The dude is fucking pathetic "I am exempt from my own bullshit" tier, trying to cash in on lost white youth who feel like they have no purpose since the system is no longer pandering to them.

>wahh you're just a cucked libtard/nigger!

What does it fucking matter to you who or what I am? What the hell are YOU doing with YOUR life? Sitting at home, laying on your back while the laptop overheats and burns your semen-encrusted stomach? If you think I'm wrong, tell me in your own words and with your own reasoning why. Don't sit around and wait for someone else to make good arguments on your behalf. That's what *actual* entitlement looks like.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to compulsory change in the former case, whereas he uses persuasive argument to change people.

>nominated to become rector at Glasgow University
Yes, because all the previous rectors are so well known all over Europe

List of non-British rectors of Glasgow University:
Edmund Burke (Ireland)
Raymond Poincare (France)
Albert Lutuli (South Africa)
Winnie Mandela (South Africa)
Mordechai Vanunu (Israel)
Edward Snowden (United States)

>ironic shit posting is still shit posting.

This is one of the most cringeworthy things I've seen on this site, almost as bad as the guys in goofy suits or tile fetish guy tbqh

Anti-SJW sentiment is already pretty popular and profitable online. Sargon of Akkad for instance makes $4,400 a month off Patreon, plus YouTube ads I assume. That's good money for recording yourself read articles people send you and laughing.

What elevates Peterson is:
1) He's clearly not a bandwagon-riding fag jumping on a Youtube trend. He's principled and has been teaching his material silently for years. He is also politically not in-line with what people tend to try to smart critics of identity politics as.
2) Big one, I think: He takes a popular sentiment and elevates it above just laughing at some feminist blog post to actually serious intellectual inquiry. For years now these people have had their little handful of counter-stats they jerk off to, but now they have a legitimately good rhetorician who can bring a friendly argument to an actually respectable intellectual stage.

Can't get more pseud than that. He's in good company.

>Classic works of psychology such as maps of meaning

Lol bruh

t. never read his books or watched his lectures

That's the shit version. Here's the actual version (no I didn't make it, but it's spot on).

Put Thomas Sowell up there

Do it yourself, it's not my chart

i knew about him before he was cool

ive never felt this way before but i'm actually kind of mad that everyone knows who he is now.

>calling comedians "Pseudo-intellectual rhetoricians"

This is the least amount of self-awareness I have ever seen on this site.

even calling some of these guys pseudo-intellectuals is being generous.

>that everyone knows who he is now.
Trust me, they don't.

me

everyone who's anyone

Good things about Peterson
>Has a solid philosophy of life
>Posts a lot of videos explaining what the hell he is about (it's hard to mix up Peterson's message)
>Does regular Q&As
>Not really afraid to go to places where he'll be protested against
>Fights SJWs from a centrist POV

Bad things about Peterson
>Somewhat narcissistic
>Plugs his stuff a lot
>Has the penchant for rambling

I agree with a lot of what he says, though. It's more about the method than the man; Follow the creed of sorting your life out and becoming responsible for yourself and it'll pay dividends.

He articulated what a lot of people think better than they could and SJWs gave him a global platform to do it on.

Canadians shape Veeky Forums culture.

Basically, Canadians made your bookshelf what it is today.

he's able to articulate a somewhat coherent argument against the marxist mind-virus currently destroying western society

subconsciously, everyone has wanted to tell them to fuck off but not really known how to or had the courage to. JPetey is one of the first tenured academics to come out against it in its entirety and in a big way, and he's being rewarded for it

The Left has had this coming for a long time, as they are objectively on the wrong side of the argument. Keep in mind, however, that JPetey is just another tool in Kek's toolkit. /Pol/ is much more useful for Kek in the long run.

Where is Zizek?

What is his end goal? Kek's, I mean.

>it's a Veeky Forums defends a catholic apologist episode

Listen to Sam Harris' two podcasts with him. I never had much respect for Peterson but he fucking embarrasses himself there.

>sam harris

LOL

Peterson was actually pretty well known prior to this for his business psychology stuff.

some of the most voluble posters on \lit\ are also catholic apologists

>No Derrida
>No Heidegger
>No Hegel
>No Aquinas
shit desu

>shitstain peterson BTFO

>everybody here in Slovenia knows

>he's Slovene
DROPPED

This is awful

>ranting about gulags
>not realizing the third world countries producing electronics, fashion and raw materials are the biggest gulag ever created
>always remember: Solzhenitsyn said the line between good and evil runs through every one regardless of his wealth/class
>this capitalism seems quite alright
>also i am way to self absorbed to think or even recognize global power structures
>.........
>profit

meanwhile people in china, bangladesh, africa:
"I am a robot, please feed me"

>How did Jordan Peterson so quickly rise to become the foremost public intellectual (and intellectual meme) of our time?
he didn't?

His entire philosophy generally boils down to incomprehensible mental gymnastics, but at least his conclusion is designed to inspire positive behavior (inb4 muh spooks). Only reason he's popular is for the anti-sjw crowd who probably don't even try to understand any of his real "philosophy".

>I'm not capable of processing other people's points of view
Whoever made these should absolutely neck themselves

Because being called man or woman is the same as an obvious insult. I'm offended

Isn't the whole Jung archetype thing unfalsifiable claptrap though?

You're on Veeky Forums not Veeky Forums, 99% of everything we discuss outside of genre fiction is unfalsifiable.

Shit.

THIS is the actual, complete version.

Haha, yeah he is viral right now, but he is in no way close to being the foremost public intellectual of our time. He is known for one thing, and one thing alone. Tell me if anyone cares in five years and then we can talk about him.

Surely when you base your whole philosophy off something like this though there needs to be some real evidence you can point to, this just kinda sounds good, it's not like the archetypes are found in all cultures

>it's not like the archetypes are found in all cultures
They are, that's like one of the major criticisms against them.

that syrian girl is a qt 3.14 tho

>Jason Segal as DFW
subtle

This is the actual reason why people like him. The newer right wing movements are full of young-ish men with daddy issues and Petersons fills the role of reliable, strong-willed father figure.

Plus, memes.

I think it'd be hard to find them all in abo culture. And how is that a criticism if it is true?