Is this guy one of the great writers of our time?

Other urls found in this thread:

vanityfair.com/news/2017/03/why-the-alt-left-is-a-problem
alternet.org/story/102992/5_pieces_of_advice_for_the_new_paupers
otago.ac.nz/deepsouth/vol1no2/dolan_issue2.html
alternet.org/story/80507/fighting_words:_how_to_humiliate_--_and_convert_--_a_right-winger
exiledonline.com/big-brothers-george-orwell-and-christopher-hitchens-exposed/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like him. I think he's interesting in a way that only outsiders can be. A catalogue of horror that is more subtle than that of his hero Celine and more relevant to living under the veil of our 21st century societies. Also, he's pretty funny. Who knows what history will make of him.

He hilariously mocks the mainstream and leftie delusions, but isn't an alt-rightist/neo-Nazi. Seems like a rare combination, unfortunately.

what? he is a leftie and not an uncommon one.

What makes you think that he's a leftie?

are you serious? he's a marxist who wrote for the exiled. the Russian magazine that the now infamous Eileen Jones wrote for.

I read the eXiled. Never got the impression that they were Marxists. Same with Dolan. I don't even know what his economic views are. He's certainly not culturally a leftie.

What is Eileen Jones infamous for?

lol. they are all marxists. I think you just got meme'd into communists = identity politics.

James Wolcott named her as an "alt left" figurehead. It's pretty funny to see libs freaking out.

vanityfair.com/news/2017/03/why-the-alt-left-is-a-problem

But what makes you think that they are Marxists?

Maybe Mark Ames is a Marxist, but it's hard for me to imagine Dolan being a Marxist.

his writing has a lot of insider critiques of marxists, he self-identifies as a leftist, and his publishing circle is full of marxists, i.e Eileen Jones. maybe you just have to be a marxist to get where he's coming from. I like to think he's a left-communist but that's just me claiming him for my tribe.

>his writing has a lot of insider critiques of marxists
true, but I always got the impression that, while he came of age in the heavily marxist Berkeley milieu, he rejected much of it in disgust as he matured... not just the identity politics, but the very people... his writing is full of pure disgust aimed at those Berkeley types. I really don't know what his economic views are, though... i am more aware of what he criticizes than of what he supports.

>he self-identifies as a leftist
where does he do that? i haven't seen it, but maybe i missed it

yeah, he hates hypocrisy and has said many times he was a conservative while at Berkley. he mocks the mainstream etc. all this isn't contradictory of leftism. look at mark fisher.

he repeatedly talks about his past and politics on Radio War Nerd. I'm a subscriber but idk if I can be bothered to go through episodes just to convince you. believe what you want to believe or listen for yourself.

I case it wasn't clear. as he got older he got more left. you have his political maturation in reverse.

Interesting. I guess that explains it... I haven't listened to a lot of the Radio War Nerd, mostly just read his eXiled stuff.

What sort of Marxism does he hold to?

explains what? if you like sci-fi I recommend episode #64 Sci-fi & Fascism. it's pretty funny and will give you a good idea where he comes from.

Explains why I thought he wasn't a leftist.

from what I can gather, either orthodox or left-communism. he's high suspicious of vanguard parties, campus marxism, libs, and identity politics. those positions are consistent with the aforementioned schools of marxism.

Can anyone supply his novel or eXiled articles?

you can still read most of his articles on the exile. for his books, just buy them.

His book is 100 bucks or sth on amazon and the exiled website didn’t load for me. But I guess that was just a temporary outage then? Or do I have to use Google cache / internet archive?

holy shit. these price algorithms escalate quickly. sorry man, I don't think an epub was ever made for pleasant hell.

the outage should be temporary. in the mean time, this is John Dolan on his time as a NEET:

alternet.org/story/102992/5_pieces_of_advice_for_the_new_paupers

Oh shit he's the guy who wrote that takedown of Christopher Hitchens and George Orwell. I remember reading it years ago and being amazed as how witty and scathing it was. Can't seem to access it now, I guess the website is down.

Hitchens is a favorite punching bag. I love him for his Orwell buttfucking. Not that normies can recognise a hack fraud when they read one.

otago.ac.nz/deepsouth/vol1no2/dolan_issue2.html

What about that seems leftist?

a takedown on faux-radicalism with the sla refrain. the grand tradition of leftist cannibalising.

maybe this spells it out. alternet.org/story/80507/fighting_words:_how_to_humiliate_--_and_convert_--_a_right-winger

You're right. That does spell it out. A rather prophetic piece, given the last year or so. I have no idea why he calls the American Revolution leftist, though.

Republican Libertines vs Conservative Monarchists. Alexander Hamilton. Thomas Paine. etc.

But classical liberalism isn't leftist in the modern sense of the word... it's pretty much equidistant from modern leftism and modern rightism.

Although Hamilton was a bit closer to what moderns would consider a leftist than my ideal classical liberal

to say modern leftism isn't liberalism through the lens of critical theory is being dishonest. 'common sense' by paine and hamilton are huge lib memes rn. the moral principle is still the french tripartite. or to be more specific, the classical liberals had a womens march too.

anyone know where to get his book cheaper?

But were the American revolutionaries economic leftists? I know that Hamilton was a fan of state intervention in the economy, but how about the American revolutionaries viewed on average?

i'm not sure a revolutionary army has an economic view. that came later re: founding fathers. I know paine favoured some sort of welfare state though.

bump. less /pol/ more Veeky Forums

Fuck /pol/

Why have a containment board if it's not enforced

Unfortunately there is no board here where one can actually discuss politics at a high level... Veeky Forums is limited to the past. /pol/ is 90% neo-Nazis.

There's nowhere on Veeky Forums to discuss drugs....but I don't shit up Veeky Forums with pictures of bongs and shit

>Inb4 420chin

No

exiled is back online. orwell hit-job:

exiledonline.com/big-brothers-george-orwell-and-christopher-hitchens-exposed/

bump