What do you think about TED talks?

What do you think about TED talks?

Other urls found in this thread:

ed.ted.com/lessons/the-history-of-our-world-in-18-minutes-david-christian
ted.com/talks/roman_mars_why_city_flags_may_be_the_worst_designed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed
ted.com/talks/hugh_herr_the_new_bionics_that_let_us_run_climb_and_dance/up-next
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pop-sci bullshit

>If it's popular it's bullshit
No.

But TED talks are usually bad.

They're hit and miss. It's great when industry insiders and real journos shed light on specific interesting topics.
"Andrew Blum- what is the internet really?" Is a cool look at the physical form of the internet. I remember an even better one about how the internet was set up in New York City specifically, but I can't find it now.
But there also shit ones with self-explanatory premises.
"Mellisa Marshall- Talk nerdy to me" is a 3 minute rant that will infuriate most people here for endorsing brainlettism.

Used to be better. Due to TEDx a lot of unimportant people are being wrongfully praised.

First quality post I've seen on Veeky Forums in a while.

The anti-government talks seem fine.

All talk no action.

Like internet journalism in lecture form.

more like TURD talks amirite

Sam Hyde's is unironically the best one. Tad Kaczynski was right about everything.

Nice image, OP.

TED is fine, TEDx is cancer, and is often filled with cranks and mistruths

TED talks are like the SCP of science. They started out really great, but so many normies have been adding shit to it that as a whole, TED talks are shit now.

Absolutely terrible. Usually some retard shilling their product, some stupid point or system that has no real applicability and requires specificity, or their shallow, baseless opinions. I hate how it's always presented as some self-help shit too, rather than educational.

Draw your own conclusions

ed.ted.com/lessons/the-history-of-our-world-in-18-minutes-david-christian

I have yet to see a TED talk that didn't have me wonder what was the point of the talk afterwards

Used to be nice then norm is took over and now it's just feminism

>see a TED talk video called "why I love prime numbers"
>being genuinely curious about the practical uses for prime numbers I click it
>guy starts out by explaining what makes a prime number a prime number
>"fun fact: there are some reeeeeeaally big prime numbers out there"
>guy spends like 20 minutes putting into perspective how large the largest prime is
also
>see a video called "math and rhythm" or something like that
>it's like 10 minutes of a guy banging on bongo drums while doing basic arithmetic
>in between doing arithmetic he just bangs the drums and says "a-rhythm-a-tic, a-rhythm-a-tic" over and over
I'm sure there are good TED talks but I'm not wading through those piles of shit to find a gold nugget

They are amazing! Haters are just jealous! Only true geniuses get to speak!

Haven't watched too many. Some are kinda trash.

Aubrey de Grey blabbing about immortality DID help motivate me to get a BSc in Biochemistry though

The only good TED talk I saw was the Lundgren one and only because it confirmed that he wasn't a superhuman born in a scientific labor.

20min presentations giving you a vague understanding of the topic without make you sufficiently knowledgeable or useful regarding the topic/skill. They are the equivalent of listening to someone talk about how they solved a rubix cube but not expecting anyone to leave the presentation with a better idea of how to solve it. People watch these talks, gain nothing but emotional satisfaction, and go to sleep thinking they've bettered themselves.

I liked this one, but it gas nothing to do with sci/.

ted.com/talks/roman_mars_why_city_flags_may_be_the_worst_designed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed

Many are garbage, but some of them are quite good, Hugh Herr's presentation is pretty impressive, especially the ending

ted.com/talks/hugh_herr_the_new_bionics_that_let_us_run_climb_and_dance/up-next

While I do think many of them are quite bad, I did like the one that explained CRISPR, and since I don't know anything about CRISPR I am fortunately ignorant enough to not know if that talk was bullshit so I enjoyed it

They were good originally, because they still had to convince people that they were good. So there was heavy focus on quality rather than quantity

Now it's shit. And TEDx is really shit, pretty much anyone can give those.

TED talks proper are alright. TEDx talks are garbage.

Normie tier. Go read a book if you want to learn.

They're alright, but sometimes it's too normie

>>see a video called "math and rhythm" or something like that
>>it's like 10 minutes of a guy banging on bongo drums while doing basic arithmetic
>>in between doing arithmetic he just bangs the drums and says "a-rhythm-a-tic, a-rhythm-a-tic" over and over
link pls, that sounds great

Don't know. Never finished his manifesto. Too boring.

Also this pose. Lol. I call it the "TED Hands" because literally every fucking pretentious TEDnigger does it about 500 times per talk.

>I'm sure there are good TED talks but I'm not wading through those piles of shit to find a gold nugget

Well, you frequent Veeky Forums...