I took my Master's in pure Mathematics two years ago

I took my Master's in pure Mathematics two years ago.

I am overqualified at my workplace and has basically become nothing more than a brainlet code monkey. Have I gone too deep into the abyss, can I not turn back and fix this?

Other urls found in this thread:

rentec.com/Careers.action?researchScientist=true
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I find this is the curse of STEM. It's very hard to be employed as a Mathematician or a Physicist but it's pretty easy to get into the well paid wagecuck compsci purgatory. If you want to avoid reality you could always go back and do a Doctorate, I guess. It's far harder than the Masters but it will suck away a few more years whilst you think about what you want to do.

>It's very hard to be employed as a Mathematician or a Physicist
W-wait, what?! I'm double major physics and mathematics?! WHAT THE FUCK?!

Should have become an engineer.

Are you telling me I just wasted three years of my life?! Surely I can go into graduate engineering and save myself?

This is my deepest fear. Why did you choose to code monkey?

Depends on where you live, but yeah, getting into academia is not easy.

It's easy to get a job with a physics or math major,, but it's hard to get a job as a physicist or matematician, since most companies want devs or data analysts or shit like that

I think I might just try and do graduate engineering.

But those are both awful jobs.

>I am overqualified at my workplace and has basically become nothing more than a brainlet code monkey.
Data scientist?

>Have I gone too deep into the abyss
No, you are still not deep enough.

See, going for a bachelors in pure math for fun is fine, even if you still do not want to work in academia. But if you want to go into finance or stats or whatever then you have to take your masters outside of pure math. If you take a master in pure math that means that you want to be an academic, but for some fucked up reason you became a code monkey instead of going for your Ph.D.

Let me tell you what employers think when they see your resume and read you have a masters:

"Oh, this guy probably got rejected from all PhD programs this year. I bet he is just going to work for a year and then leave when he finally gets accepted. Eh, why hire someone who will just leave immediately. Dropped."

Why is the real world so brutal?

I have no idea, which is why I just went into academia and never looked back.

>Ph.D. in Math
>any job I want
>$300k starting
The dream didnt come true ?
I let it go, stayed at the Uni.

He just has a master.

I think I might just eschew trying to make money and go full autism mode in academia too. Try and get employed in Switzerland, or something and make minor bank that way.

>$300k starting
Yeah, in student loans. :^)

Mathematicians and physicist degrees are like keys that can open every door but their own unless you are lucky.

So, go graduate engineering, got you. Thanks.

I'm not saying that exactly though user.

Nothing wasted about it. It's always going to land you a well-paid job regardless of whether it's fulfilling or not. If it's any consolation, research is a miserable and penniless existence spent scrounging for funding and empty days.

I fucked up
I meant empty days measuring something that only a handful of equally bored researchers will care about.

I'm getting an ms in applied math right now. Graduating in May and if I apply to PhDs it'll be next fall. Going to do some modeling in the meantime to try and get a little hedge fund operation off the ground too. Idk what else there is to do with math. Maybe I'll do AI in a doctorate I feel like that's the way to go.

What makes you think you'll be better of with engineering?

Most engineering jobs are like having a code monkey job, except you work with spreadsheets and probably has a lower ceiling salary wise.

>I have no goals but want to pretend I do
The thread.

If you don’t know what you can usefully do with your knowledge then why shouldn’t you just be doing whatever you’re instructed to do by someone who does?

>Get PhD in data science
>Make 200k+/yr
>Have 4-7 code monkeys working for you
Profit

>PhD in data science
lol, why would a business want to hire a PhD in data science when they could just hire a regular business major and make him the manager of those 4-7 code monkeys?
You know management has nothing to do with technical knowledge, right? Like every single case I've ever seen in the past ten years of someone in charge of programming and/or "data science" oriented workers has been a guy incapable of writing anything himself outside of (rarely) his own super-basic SQL query to select everything from the table that one of his employees is populating for him.
I can't think of any incentive for hiring a programmer to manage programmers. Let's be honest, if you were good with managing people you probably wouldn't have learned how to program to begin with. And even if there were some marginal benefit to hiring a manager or director who understands the technical details, it's certainly not worth paying that much extra for a fucking doctorate holder. That probably limits you to places that have a reason to care about excessive academic credentials, like maybe NASA. More realistically you'll just stay confined to academia for the rest of your life and probably end up becoming a professor luring the next generation of poor misguided grad students into making the same mistakes you did.

U see, I don't want to end up hating myself for the road I've chosen., I've wanted to do energy innovations but my counselor doesn't even know if should continue physics or switch to engineering. Can't a mathematician do both jobs?

>And even if there were some marginal benefit to hiring a manager or director who understands the technical details,
I'll agree with you that a PhD for industry is generally not going to help someone, but holy shit. Some business majors make terrible managers. I have 2 examples, one personal:
>working at a warehouse
It was a fucking warehouse. Nothing technical about it. But a finance graduate who had been working there as general manager for about a year still managed to fuck everything up. He lacked even the most basic knowledge about how the floor operated, and as a result, stock was constantly over-ordered, and orders were promised to be shipped out in impossibly short amounts of time. This could have been alleviated if he worked in the floor for 6 months. Second example:
>canadian healthcare system
Prior to the 1980s, hospital administrators always already in the profession (doctors, etc). But with funding cuts to healthcare, private sector managers were recruited as administrators to employ cost-cutting measures. And you know what happened? They ran (and continue to do this) measures which are totally impractical in the practical setting, like TQM, which assigns specific times to perform hospital tasks. This has resulted in many healthcare workers burning out fast, and numerous other issues for the system as a whole. Measures implemented to save money are burning out healthcare professionals today, and by the early 2020s Canada is probably going to face nursing shortages as a result.

tl;dr: An effective manager needs to deeply understand whatever industry they're going to manage. You can't put people with a superficial understanding of technical details in charge. The poor understanding is almost always obvious to the employees and it can have detrimental effects on how whatever business runs.

>Post vomit-like stream of words in response to viable career path
It's apparent you don't really know what data scientists do

>what data scientists do
Make a much bigger deal out of being able to use SQL, R, and Python than what was ever reasonably warranted.
I still can't believe people use the term "scientist" in these contexts with a straight face. Statistician was a much more respectable title desu.

>Some business majors make terrible managers.
To be fair, most managers in general are terrible managers.
I've always taken the approach of just pretending like managers don't exist. It works better for everyone involved that way. A lot of times you can keep them out of trouble just by pretending you didn't hear what they ask you to do at least the first two or three times they make a request. That way you filter out all the whimsical bullshit and stick to the stuff they need built for legitimate reasons. Also works much better than trying to explain why their whimsical ideas are questionable because explicit resistance just makes them want it more.

Just find a bloody job that suits your qualifications, it's nothing to fucking larp about.

EE/mechatronics is actually interesting and at least you use your programming for something useful.

You've gotta ask yourself - with what you know, what of value can you offer to anyone else that they'd be inclined to pay you for?

Can you build them something useful?

Can you make something that enables their business to operate more profitably?

Math, like science, is a tool and not a field in and of itself. Fields that are productive may require knowledge of math, but besides being a shill for the cult of pscientism (where esoteric math is used to mask a lack of actual physical science, i.e. quantum theory), there are not many options to get paid for being an expert exclusively at math.

Why are you all still talking about degrees as if they're worth pursuing. They're not. The "go to school, get a job" economy is long gone. If you want financial security today, you'll have to learn to be independent. If you're really set on some kind of engineering field, TEACH YOURSELF and make something. If you can't, you'd only be wasting your time and money chasing it in the leftist indoctrination mills called "universities".

That's exactly what I do too, good on you, user.

What total fucking utter nonsense, for many STEM fields you NEED a degree to be proven trustworthy, for instance, nuclear engineering.
I think you might want to return home, since you know fuck all about STEM, that's for sure:

apply here: rentec.com/Careers.action?researchScientist=true

Go to wall street

no jobs mate, been looking for a while now. it's all lies. had a good gpa as well, didn't matter.

>fit(X, y)
>predict(x)
data """science"""

Those re just tools, they have as much to do with data science as a USB keyboard does to programmers

Go for PhD

I'm pretty sure the more honest analogy would be:
>data scientists : programming languages :: programmers : programming languages
Not:
>data scientists : programming languages :: programmers : keyboard
For what should be obvious reasons.