Eye colour

I get how it works when it comes to Blue, Brown, Green (BB; bb, etc, probably more complex in reality w/e), but what determins Hazel, Amber, Ice Blue, Blue-Green, etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

snpedia.com/index.php/Eye_color
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785344/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the way light hits your eye, dummy

bump

You folks are supposed to be the the most intelligent branch on here.

Eyecolor is polygenic, it's determined by more than one gene.

things like partial dominance and codominance exist idk, blue eyes and brown eyes are simple

blumf

posting Karlie Kloss is dangerous because it's hard to keep people interested in the beauty of other after they've seen a picture of her. You're going down the slippery slope of being a Kloss spammer OP, I'd be careful if I were you. It's also a shit thread anyways,

Just so you will stop posting this slut I'm the only bored I actually consider productive, I'll answer the question.

Eye color is determined by a large variety of genes, these genes affect each other. The two main determinants of the actual color of the eye is the melanin within the cells of the eye and the actual pigmentation of the iris itself. Different combinations of either a presence or lack of melanin in the eye cells and different combinations of color of the iris, different eye colors can be achieved. Brown eyes are brown because there's a lot of melanin in the eye cells, blue eyes are blue for the same reason that the sky looks blue and green eyes are green because it's a combination of blue-eyed ness with a lightly colored iris. Anything else is just one of those three with slightly different pigmentations.

Fuck man, you might be right.....She has been growing on me like crazy for the past 2 days.

Trust me it's best to stay away from that shit. You'll never have her.

Thanks user.

Maybe. She is very beautiful, though.

Everything you learned about eye color is a lie. There are over 20 SNPs associated with eye color: snpedia.com/index.php/Eye_color

Partially recessive genes are commonly expressed more strongly in youth.

When I was young I had blond hair, now I have black hair.

Isn't every distinct trait polygenic

Can BB and bb create bb?

No, why do you ask?

Step 1: Don't have shitskin parents
Step 2: Play genetic lottery
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Have eyes that are an interesting color

The point is that Bb and even BB don't necessarily mean brown eyes.

>Step 3: ????
Ask me how I know you're from /r/The_Donald

There are monogenic traits that you can plot on a Punnet square, also partial dominance and co dominant expressions (a red flower bred with a white flower has offspring with pink flowers).

>literally 70% of mutts have hazel or light colored eyes
Riiiight buddy. Explain genetic mutations for class again professor...

>being this new
people were memeing this meme on /b/ in '06. And they took it from the underpants gnome episode of southpark.
I've got a Doctorate in Memology kid.

>americans are mutts
>still have different eye colors

Back to plebbit trump's cocksucker

So why does ''There are over 20 SNPs associated with eye color'' matter in terms of colour
?

So you can have BB and blue eyes?

there's no such thing as a monogenic trait.
Unless you define the trait to be only encoded by the genes that we know about, which would be circular reasoning.

Eye color, hair color, skin color, lactose digestion, eye shape, head size, iron levels, etc. are all polygenic traits.

shitskins and shiteyes are different. For most of history light eyes and light skin were mutually exclusive.

Yes, because eye color isn't dependent on one SNP. Though there is one that is heavily associated with it, more than the others. Still, BB on that one SNP only results in brown eyes in 80% of caucasian people. The other SNPs influence eye color in different and more subtle ways.

Phrased that a bit wrong. "BB results in brown eyes in european people only 80% of the time".

>So why does ''There are over 20 SNPs associated with eye color'' matter in terms of colour

because 3 SNPs code for 80% of the variance. You can go from dark brown to blue with just 3 mutations.

the other 27 SNPs are just fancy basic bitch shit that nobody actually notices, but are technically involved in producing the end result of the eye color you see.

It's like comparing a 1800s daguerreotype to a modern B/W picture from a digital cam. the former gets 95% of the job done with only 2% of the technological complexity.

source: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785344/

so it's actually 74% of the variance explained by these three mutations.

It's similar with skin color, but more complex. I think there were two haplotypes each on different genes that explained 50% of skin color variance.

I really got shafted in terms of eye color. My eyes are darker than both of my parents' eyes. My mom has light green eyes and my dad has a green-brown that appears brown in normal lighting conditions. Mine are just solid gook brown. Now I'll never be allowed into the ethnostate.

That is actually really interesting!

Thanks for the answers everyone. Here is another Karlie for the effort.

your dad got cucked by some sort of darkie

Actually my eyes have a slight green to them but you can only see it if you look closely when the sun's shining at just the right angle at my iris. Makes me rage so hard desu.

This chick is fine af

i have light brown eyes with 3 grandparents of blue and 1 of brown. if my wife has blue/green eyes what color will my kids likely have?

you can all suck my dick, I like my almost black eyes and shitskin