Biological Immortality

How far are we from biological immortality?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_mouse#Life_expectancy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Project
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If it was possible, should/would it be told to the general masses?

We were there years ago.

Not until now.

Pretty far, but technology can make sudden leaps and bounds with certain breakthroughs, so nothing can be predicted.
My personal guesstimate would be in the next 300 years, tilting towards later. I doubt anyone currently alive, even the babies born today, will live to see it.

I don't think we will ever get to true immortality, but life extension to live pretty damn long is a thing.

There's always accident and illness that you just can't rule out without living in a bubble in a bunker at the core of a planet, and even then shit can happen.
But you give people an opportunity to not die of old age with hopefully a better quality of life than just being a weezing bag of bones forever.
You'll probably have your brain scanned into a computer and have virtual immortality there.

it wouldnt matter
we're going to collapse under the weight of pensions by 2030
people are living too long
people didnt have enough kids
non-natives dont provide enough of an economic surplus to justify expenses
we're boned.

pensions will be capped
not fun
but not a collapse either

not possible, no immortality, organic or inorganic is possible,

eventually everything breaks down, even black holes (in about a googol years)

we're exactly (78.74 - your current age) years away

Because everything is consistent of fire Water air and earth we need to balance those first two to keep the second two in balance if we reach this target ,immortality is in our Hands because the fluid can flow without disharmony - in Fact people did know this all the time but you just didnt know - its like Montauk and timetravel we have it but its hidden!

n+1 days where n is the number of days left in your life

Not far. We successfully made mice "grow younger" about a year ago. I'd say the opportunity will be available in 20-30 years, provided you can afford it.

well you see.
E N T R O P Y
noone will last more than 200 years

though transhumanism might give us another twenty on average

Reddit is strong in this thread

The biggest problem is brain degeneration and then probably cancer

biological immortality is physically impossible
you can live for a very long time though

Just stop browsing sci and brain degeneration does not occur

>Montauk
It's always weird when certain words/names start showing up more often than they should. I swear I've read "Montauk" like 12 times this week.
Is there a name for that phenomenon? It's not exactly synchronicity because it lacks meaning.

Infinity. Here's a fucking black pill: people like Aubrey de Grey and SENS are actively suppressing life extension medicine. All they have to do is either extend telomeres or replace old/dead cells with new stem cells. They are working on neither. And don't think they don't know this either.

Someone has already gotten to them and paid them to stop research on actual rejuvenation of cells and to throw away public funds on shit they know won't work like Alzheimer's research or senolytics or fucking with mitochondria. IF life extension medicine ever does come of age (it won't), it will be exclusively for the rich. Aubrey and other shills' ridiculous claims that insurance companies will just start paying for people to be immortal for free is fucking absurd. Capitalism is not about profit. It's about maintaining class structure. You can't have everyone immortal in a capitalist system because then there's too much equality for the greedy rich, narcissistic bastards at the top. They don't give a shit if they LOSE money, they WILL prevent the majority from having access to these treatments so they can stay on top.

No we did not. Any time you here "Scientists """""reverse aging""""" in mice" it's a lie. The longest lived mouse in history was genetically engineered to live longer and still lived only less than a year longer than the longest lived normal mouse.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_mouse#Life_expectancy

>As of 2005, the record holder was a genetically engineered mouse that lived for 1,819 days (4 years, 358 days).[54] Another record holder that was kept in an enriched environment but did not receive any genetic, pharmacological, or dietary treatment lived for 1,551 days (4 years, 90 days)

Life extension shills ARE LIARS.

forever

>Capitalism is not about profit.
>All they have to do is either extend telomeres or replace old/dead cells with new stem cells.

>Capitalism is not about profit
Oh you poor, naive thing. Still waiting for that wealth to trickle down? Still temporarily embarrassed. Capitalism was created for ONE thing: to keep dynastic wealth in the aristocratic families forever. Everything else is propaganda.

>All they have to do is either extend telomeres or replace old/dead cells with new stem cells.
Yes. Are you going to attempt to claim that this is wrong? If you are, then you're only proving you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

No it actually isn't. It should be quite easy, actually. Mankind is just too stupid, perverted and corrupt to actually do it without politics, greed and general incompetence getting in the way.

>If it was possible would Hillary and bill look 1 week from death?
No, we're far away

What will come first?
Biological immortality, or consciousness immortality?

When I say consciousness immortality I mean making a digital backup of your mind and uploading it onto a new body after death. For sake of argument, fleshy clone or metal body. Either will do.

Pretty far.

Odds are, even when we get there that shit would be expensive as fuck.

Not far enough.

If I had the power to eliminate the entire species in order to prevent a single human being from ever attaining such a state, and if I reasoned that it were necessary to do the former in order to ensure the latter, I would do so.

I'm interested in your reasoning behind this.

Not him, but saying that's "all" you have to do is misleading. By your reasoning, landing on Neptune is easy, all you have to do is build a spaceship and go out there. While that statement is true, it's not practical (now).

But, you were wrong when you said nobody was working on it. There are multiple people in multiple countries in multiple universities working on that very issue and many (not-so-practical-yet-but-will-be-in-the-future) solutions have already arisen.

One of the few things which makes life bearable is that everyone dies. It is a great equalizer which demands a certain humility from every human being. That prick you hate? He'll die someday. This is a deep comfort.

A common part of the discourse around life extension, biological immortality and so on is that it will first of all be applied to rich fucks, who can afford the treatments. Even after the abortive abominations of the early days, say they get it right, eventually. Then the uber-chads/staceys really will be, in an objective way that actually counts for something in the long term (as opposed to dick size, money and so on), superior beings.

Nor is equilibrium possible, it seems to me -except in a lifeless zero state, which is preferable because it is simpler and more just. It seems to me that as long as you have an intelligent species with such-and-such resources and ambitions (self-preservation), then biological immortality, if it can be achieved at all, is a kind of very long-term inevitability in the universe.

Imagine that prick you hate never, ever, ever dying. Quite simply, this state of affairs is intolerable to me, as it should be to you, and if it requires throwing everybody under the bus forever in order to stop anyone getting ahead in the one arena where it actually counts, then, well, that's what's necessary. There's no shame in comparing this to crabs-in-the-bucket. It simply happens that the lower crabs are in the right, which is a hateful idea to entertain for most because it's "petulant", "unattractive", etc. I consider that a certain petulance is in fact correct.

No. It isn't. All the rest is details, most of which will take care of themselves.

>landing on Neptune is easy
This is pure fucking nonsense and has nothing whatsoever to do with life extension. We HAVE telomere extension and stem cell therapies NOW. But nobody is backing them. AT ALL. If ANY degree of R&D were put into either or both, we'd have life extension in a few years. Instead, we'll NEVER have it.

>There are multiple people in multiple countries in multiple universities working on that very issue
No there aren't. There are about 2-3 companies on Earth - almost all of them in California - working on anything even resembling life extension. There are thousands of morons wasting their fucking time on shit we know doesn't work. Their nonsense advances nothing and wastes precious time.

You assume things are better than they are. They are much worse.

all the way
we are all the way from it

>He'll die someday. This is a deep comfort.
lol
you assume everyone thinks this way?
be fucking serious. you need to get a wider perspective and relax a little. no one's death should be a comfort to you.

>unironically being a marxist
>>>/pseudosci/ is that way kiddo

extending telomeres is so easy amirite guys?
And before you start saying buzzwords like telomerase do you know what cancer is faggot?
even the mice unafected by the negative effects only lived 20% more at best
we are far from longevity
And not even worth discussing about immortality

That would be a copy of your conciousness. Not your real conciousness.
you cant live forever by putting your mind in a machine faggots

this is your brain on 70 IQ and ignorance

>That would be a copy of your conciousness.
Ship of theseus.
Your body replaces every cell every couple of years. Are you just a copy of yourself?

>Not your real conciousness.
WTF is consciousness? If it's a stream of thoughts, like some philosophers believe, then every time you got to sleep your consciousness gets interrupted and when you wake you're a copy of yourself from the day before.

>you cant live forever by putting your mind in a machine
I said for arguemt's sake ignore the cloned body VS synthetic robot body, however. The human body IS a machine. Made of organic compounds and meat. Why should it matter weather it's made of metal or meats, so long as they both work the same way?

Why did you separate the letters? Thats not how you use the spacebar.

because muh space colonization you gigantic fagtron

who fucking cares I just to live a couple of thousand years

>rise of the middle class coincided perfectly with the rise of capitalism

Hmmm, really makes me think.

>How far are we from biological immortality?
If you slept in an Auto-doc you could probably live for almost forever.
We do not have auto-docs yet, so it is eyond your lifetime...
you gunna die Kimosabe!

We have immunotherapy for cancer, dipshit.

>even the mice unafected by the negative effects only lived 20% more at best
That's because nobody is perfecting the therapy. Again, you're a dipshit.

>we are far from longevity
Now there you're right, but it has nothing at all to do with the science. It's because of politics and economics (greed).

Oh look, some idiot middle class white boy doesn't know shit about history. Again. Actually, the "rise" of the middle class (no doubt in America, because you're too stupid to understand there are other countries) actually is a direct result of two things: putting extreme regulations on the rich and their corporations after they caused the great depression and American war profiteering. Now kill yourself and cleanse the genepool.

He asked you to not throw around buzzwords. "cancer immunotherapy" is a buzzword. It only works (to a certain extent) for highly mutated cancer cells. Only very recently has there been some long-term (longer than 3 months average) succes, for one therapy for one specific cancer type.

Please don't open your big mouth unless you know what you're talking about.

this man will make it happen,we just need to get working on a full artificial body

>"cancer immunotherapy" is a buzzword
Clean up your drool.

And by the way, you're completely wrong about pretty much everything you just said. I'm getting EXTREMELY tired of know-nothing fucking internet "geniuses" trying to flop their microbrains around telling everyone how little they know when their own words betray their ignorance of the subject.

wouldn't the brain still get old?

Pensions will probably just be declared idiotic and then abolished, in the information age financial illiteracy is no longer an acceptable argument for not investing your own money.

t. high school freshman who just read 1984

id be pretty fucking comforted if donald and kim both ripped right now

he talks about the montauk project, some conspiracy bullshit that got as hard debunked as the philadelphia experiment or bob lazars bullshit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Project

Then do what a scientist is supposed to do and show me the data! Cancer immunotherapy holds great promise but it's simply not there yet. It works well in some individuals but it's not curing all cancers. It costs so much money that many first world countries are debating whether it's worth the cost.

Just to give you some examples:

Antibody-based therapies are hyped massively by big pharma, but most of the time the average increase in survival is not that big. Side effects are horrible.

Cell based therapies:

dendritic cell vaccinations are getting somewhere but are not yielding spectacular results yet. There's a massive trial starting in the Netherlands which holds some promise for melanoma patients. It works nicely for Lynch syndrome though. Costs a lot of money and is not available "off the shelf".

CAR-T cell therapy works well in some forms of leukemia, but it costs an assload of money and is not available as an "off the shelf" product so it's difficult to do on a large scale.

Then you have adoptive NK cell transfer which is looking quite good. But it's not there yet.

Then you have your chemical methods: shit like in vivo immunomodulating scaffolds, artificial antigen presenting cells, novel forms of antibodies. But that's all stuff for the future.

Notice the pattern?

Get back with me in 20 years when fuck all has progressed. Helicopters have been around since the 20s. How many people have one?

Aubrey de Grey has been preaching the gospel of SENS since the early 2000s. People who were young then are middle aged now. "Soon" does not mean decades.

>Cancer immunotherapy holds great promise but it's simply not there yet
Oh it can certainly improve, but there is more than one person who has been cured by it and not relapsed. Fuck you're a lazy shit. Jimmy Carter used it ffs. No more hand-feeding. Stop being a loudmouth and go do your own fucking research. I'm tired of shitheads like you. Too lazy to learn, to conceited to not shove your incessant wrongness in everyone's face 24/7.

I'm talking about actual data and statistics, you're talking shit about some anecdotal crap. Yes it cures some people. Yes it beats placebo. No, it does not cure cancer.

I *am* doing my own research, unlike you. Go finish your undergrad before talking to the big guys.

what are you basing this on?

50 years

I’m about to redpill you from the future so buckle in because this WILL get deleted
Technology advances exponentially, but we’re going exponentially in the wrong direction right now
We’re using obsolete technology as the foundation for computing
Computing hardware isn’t formatted very efficiently at all right now, even if you think chips look small, and the bit is actually a shit way to store data. Even our entropic clump-of-particles brain can store a bit of data 26 times more efficiently than a computer
Every brain is a quantum computer that happened accidentally, meanwhile we think we’re smart for shitting out programs (like encrypting an English phrase into a hash/scramble of already-existing characters)
This is going to be too hard to explain now actually so tldr;
>cpus are unironically going to be spheres
>bit will no longer be smallest unit of data representation, think millions of times smaller
>I wasn’t going to say this because it’s big but instead of binary, things will be computed using neutrons and electrons
>each atom in your body will be kept artificially alive forever
>suicide cults skyrocket tho

>things will be computed using neutrons and electrons.
Things are already computed with electrons, you fuckwit.

>cpus are unironically going to be spheres
>geometric shape with least surface area possible

How will you handle temperature issues?

Gosh I really shouldn’t be telling you this
But picture these swinging through the air

Immortality ≠ extending telomeres. It's a lot more fucking complicated than just adding some extra DNA. Even, if that were the case, successfully extending, and maintaining extension of telomeres on enough cells for indefinite life is fucking hard work.

Best bet says that it'll take 30 - 50 years to get to a point where the life expectancy will start increasing faster than you're aging.

Also
>implying solid cpus instead of webs when sorting data on a subatomic level
Also even if solid, how does your brain handle temperature issues?

>Also even if solid, how does your brain handle temperature issues?

liquid cooling
failing that, external application of water/ice

Now picture a spherical web made of microscopic tubes
How is that for surface area?

I did, and my brain instantly realized a cube would be better.

I have yet to read a single post in this thread that could be attributed to an actual biologist.

>telomerase
>therapies
>brain degeneration
>other idiotic garbage

the motive force that prevents people from living longer, aside from genetic and environmental factors, is cancer - which is exclusively attributed to errors in DNA repair and proofreading. telomeres and telomerase are evolutionary mechanisms designed to prevent genome instability (read: cancer) in dividing cells.