NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/34497130-mercury-s-bane
writingexcuses.com/2017/02/05/12-6-variations-on-third-person/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

/sffg/ pls recommend me books with setting like shin megami tensei main series

Has anyone read the new Nick Webb? Any good?

goodreads.com/book/show/34497130-mercury-s-bane

How does Robert E. Howard's Kull stories compare to his Conan stories?

Conan is far and away superior but Kull has a couple good ones, "By This Axe, I Rule" is thematically at odds with the rest of the series but is pretty good. Conan just has both more fun and more thematic depth.

Are there any non-shit fantasy books set in Forgotten Realms/Planescape? I remember playing Hordes of the Underdark and loving the whole "literally going to hell and kicking the devil's butt" angle but I am pretty sure that all DnD books are 14 year old level or so.

The Forgotten Realms is garbage on every level, just play Planescape Torment again which is the best piece of DnD related writing outside of some really good AP reports and modules from the OSR community.

I dunno I like the Forgotten Realms setting for some reason. Probably because it's really bland. Can't replay Torment, don't have time. Wanted something to read before bed/while commuting.

How do I write a fantasy novel about a rape monster without sounding like I'm ripping off Bakker?

I did get that feeling after reading one of the Kull stories about snakemen. It kinda felt like He-man.

Gather a lot of life experience interacting with bears, sharks and rapists.

I read Gene Wolfe's 1973 Nebula and Locus award winning novella The Death Of Doctor Island, a typical head-scratcher of a story from the author.

A mentally ill teenager, with his brain surgically divided into two halves, is put onto a desert island. The island itself appears to be a living thing, a 'doctor' who speaks to the protag through the wildlife and rustling winds. The teenager explores the island where he meets two other people who are ill in different ways, one of them a murderer.

There is an awful lot of literary allusion, subtexts, Russian doll-like stories-within-stories and generally elusive storytelling going on. It seems to be an fable/examination of mental illness, communication, and (functional) recovery in the context of larger society. This one gets a slippery three out of five dinos.

>At the highest level of a giant forest, thirteen kingdoms fit seamlessly together to form the great city of Canopy. Thirteen goddesses and gods rule this realm and are continuously reincarnated into human bodies. Canopy’s position in the sun, however, is not without its dark side. The nation’s opulence comes from the labor of slaves, and below its fruitful boughs are two other realms: Understorey and Floor, whose deprived citizens yearn for Canopy’s splendor.

>Unar, a determined but destitute young woman, escapes her parents’ plot to sell her into slavery by being selected to serve in the Garden under the goddess Audblayin, ruler of growth and fertility. As a Gardener, she yearns to become Audblayin’s next Bodyguard while also growing sympathetic towards Canopy's slaves.

So, guys, what do you think of this? even the normies are dropping it because of the baitcover. I like that central idea of the forest kingdom but the idea of "muh cringy and female protagonist" makes me go back

What's wrong with the cover?

Literally nothing, this is just one of the very titles who promises a great book just for the cover and falls dizzily on it's premise. That's what i mean.

Not that user but I still don't understand what you're saying. Maybe english is not your first language, but it seems like you use "cover" as synopsis or description or something else entirely.
So what's wrong? Do you not like that there's a girl protagonist? Do you indeed like but but dislike something else? Do you literally not like the cover art itself?

I've decided to disallow these threads on Veeky Forums. From now on post them to /co/ or Veeky Forums.

Roflcopter

Enjoy your empty board.

I've decided to disallow your posts in /sffg/. From now on post them to someone who cares.

I think he means that the cover looks great but the book sucks. You are correct that "even the normies are dropping it because of the baitcover" makes no sense in this context.

Study dolphins and other animals that rape. If you can get away with it without triggering them, talk to someone who was raped to see the feels that rape evoke. Talk to actual convicted rapist. Learn about the power the feel over someone, and how that power is more enjoyable than the cunny itself. Pay a whore to fight, resist and struggle when you putting the dick in and you are dicking her. See what feelings it evokes inside your being.

Sum up all that and you have your rape monster. Enjoy.

Give me an idea on how to make a macro that deals with dino measurements, that also has sffg allusions?

He is one of those cunts who literally judge books by their covers. I enjoy them being disappointed constantly. While I read my "edgy" cover and get a great story.

Cry more fagget. We are on topic and actually enjoy ourselves. Maybe you should police those philosophy threads that belongs on Veeky Forums, or those thinly veiled /pol/ threads.

I'm going to read the new Mark Lawrence trilogy and you can't stop me /sffg/.

Tell me how it is. Liar queen was shit(dropped the series after book 1). But I enjoyed broken empire series.

My apologies user, indeed it's not my first language. What i'm trying to articulate it's that i'm using the term "cover" to refer about "art cover". And i used the term "baitcover" by the fact about some authors/publishers give their books great artcovers (like this) in their front but then the only thing that it's worthy of the whole book is just the art used in the frontcover. I liked the synopsis and what it promises about the worldbuilding in a giant forest, but reading another opinions in GR it seems like the cringy and annoying personality of the female protagonist ruins the book. So, i'm asking for opinions on anons who actually readed the book to tell me if this title worths and if it's original in it's premise.

I don't know, how about something with a big pair of scales in the foreground, with Gene Wolfe, Jack Vance and Walter Miller books on one side, and five disembodied dinosaur heads on the other, weighing down, and Gene Wolfe's big old face grinning coyly behind it, perhaps alongside other disembodied heads of the venerable Robert Howard, Fritz Leiber, Vance, Tolkein, et al.

What is your response to this?

modern philosophy and sociology are trash.

>has no idea what modern sociology is

i took a sociology class once and the teacher was a white woman with crusty dreadlocks. that was enough for me.

>took a class once
>thinks that qualifies an opinion

lol. clueless.

is there any book that explains third person limited?

Has anyone read Three Parts Dead? If so any good?

I read Strom front for the first time 2 weeks ago, I'm onto Summer Knight (book 4) now. Any other Dresden fans here?

What sci-fi or fantasy concept is that?
I guess the Foundation Trilogy should be written in it.

Not a book but this is a good introduction

writingexcuses.com/2017/02/05/12-6-variations-on-third-person/

Just read a lot of Philip K Dick books. I can't recall him ever writing in first person (though the law of averages, when applied to his large body of writing, means he probably did at some point.) They're nearly all in third person limited.

But the interesting thing is how he depicts a person's thoughts while using third person limited. In effect, he transitions from third person and into long first person passages to depict thoughts and get inside a character's mind - by transitory phrases like 'he said to himself' 'he thought' 'he reflected,' and then going into long Dostoevsky-like monologues, and then back to third person.

example;

Barry got out of bed and walked to the window. He looked out at the rising sun. What should I do today, he thought to himself. Maybe I should go and see Macy. I hope she's ok. I don't know what to do about her (and so on - then back to third person when the train of thought ends)

The idea is its 'limited' to the thoughts and viewpoint of a small number of characters - unlike the omniscient third person of Dune, where we are privy to everybody's inner thoughts and motivations.

>ctrl+f "ilias"
>no results

what the fuck

What about his environment or surroundings?

Typically descriptions are done in the third person, and in limited third person it is usually only the immediate environment - describing what the protagonist can only see/sense - so not describing the villain hiding behind the door.

For example will this constituted as third person limited or omniscient?

>And the sudden cold breeze that made its way through the cracks in the wall did not help with the mattered at hand, as his body shivered in response.

Don't get too hung up on which is which. That sentence is a third person description, anyway - you can use third person to describe sensations and feelings and surroundings just fine.

But be aware that the narrator becomes omniscient when he is describing the thoughts and sensations of every character in great detail, and describing surroundings like an all-knowing and all-seeing god.

The attraction of third person limited is that you can be coy with the reader, and keep things hidden and shrouded in mystery (e.g. the motivations of the antagonist.)

I WANT TO TALK ABOUT DAVID EDDINGS! Is he respected around these here parts?

Wasn't that series based on a book?

elusive or allusive?

>literally judging a book by it's cover
>gets burned time and time again
>continues doing it
>i-it's the publisher and or author for hiring such a good artist
Your arts degree ass either has to deal with it, or take your ass over to or .

I've read it all. I know reading for plot, reading for characters, reading for world building.. now we have
>reading books for their artwork

Any books in addition to WoT where the protagonist gets more and more unhinged as the story goes on?

Also books where the protagonists power isn't gained from birth but through the adversity he goes through?

I just want to read about an ambitious guy that starts from a low standing and rises to power political, magical doesn't matter. I want a protagonist where I can like the guy but he isn't a heroic character nor is he an edge lord, a story where I can't say in the end whether he was the hero or not.

Please give suggestions if my poor grammar reminded you of any good books.

>we have mobile posters in this general
I'm pretty pissed desu. Kys.

started hyperion yesterday. there's been a lot of mentions of different ships and tesla trees and arrestor rods and prometheus' and I have no idea what the fuck they are. I feel like either a skipped some details or they will be explained later. he's good at describing the colors of light these objects emit, but other than that I'm lost.

It looked interesting and I was going to read it until I saw.
>Popular Answered Questions

>Does this book have any graphic sex or language?
>Like 7 Months Ago Add Your Answer

>J.m.s No, it doesn't. It has offscreen relationships between people but nothing intimate or inappropriate for a pretty young person,

NOT GRI APPROVED
might give it a try, but Rothfuss doesn't always inspire confidence in a book when one see that he did a review.

What about when Dick talks about himself in third /first person, like in valis?

Yes. When is peace talks coming?
Glad you liked it. You're over the bumpy patch. It's all smooth sailing from now on . Tell us how you like Lash when you see her

Possibly.

So you want anti-hero works then?

>he doesn't compulsively purchase books featuring catgirl covers

How many do you have at this point?

Well you could say that I want to read about a anti-hero but I'd rather say that I want to read about a person who does things primarily for himself. Doesn't mean that he's evil or lacks sympathy to others but that his primary function isn't helping people.

I actually liked Red Queen's War so my recommendation will probably mean nothing to you. Book 2 dragged a bit though.

>Also books where the protagonists power isn't gained from birth but through the adversity he goes through?
Broken Empire is like that. I mean he's born as a prince, but he lives as a bandit for half his childhood and eventually wins power by a combination of treachery, audacity, and lots of murder. At one point he eats the heart of a necromancer to get necromancer powers for a short while, but had to get rid of them later. People shit on the series for its over the top edgy protagonist but the novels are short and it's refreshing to have a protagonist who isn't really redeemable.

Any other B. V. Larson fanboys in here?

>Bakker does an AMA on Leddit
>admits the Dunyain are meme masters
Really makes you think

I don't actually have that many. I only buy ones that I find locally. Allowing myself to purchase items online on a regular basis is just too dangerous with my addictive behavior. One of these days I'll gather them together and take a picture.

They get better from here? Nice.

So does Elric of Melniboné get better as a character after Stormbringer or does he keep being a cunt forever?

Yeah that's where I got my wish for more. I really liked him eating the necromancers heart and gaining power from it. If anyone can recommend something similar, I'd be interested.

If you like British humor try Cabal the necromancer (book 1)

>always shill BV Larson and Neal Asher
>some user who I probably shilled undying mercenaries to comes and asks if there are fanboys in here
What you think?

>Dunyain
THE UNHOLY GENOCIDE WHEN????

>Elric of Melniboné
>better

I need something masculine and glorious. What can you guys recommend?

I like dinosaur media. It's interesting to check out what everyone has been ripping off for the last 3 decades.

Planescape Torment is shit.

>some user who I probably shilled undying mercenaries to comes and asks if there are fanboys in here

No I was shilled Frontlines and Joshua Dalzelle IRL. Found Steel World while lurking on Goodreads.

>It's interesting to check out what everyone has been ripping off for the last 3 decades.
This.

Book of the New Sun

I actually bought Torment a while ago. The writing and story seem fantastic, but the gameplay makes me physically ill. I doubt I'll ever finish that, SWtoR, or DA. "Real time with pause" is cancer.

You read his Mech series (Larson)???
You ever read neal Asher's agent Cormac series?

>SWtoR
Meant to sy KotOR, obviously.

Sometimes the imitation is better than the original. Too many times I read books other books were based on, and found out the person being inspired improved a lot of shit.

Not him, but I'm curious, when did you find this to be the case?

I found the writing to be unimpressive. It's meant to be the peak of video game writing but I was just bored and uninterested after 8 or so hours and stopped. Nier shits on this garbage.

Hmm, might just watch a longplay then, or read the book or script. I doubt I'll ever be able to bring myself to play through it. Oh, and when you said Nier, did you mean the original, or Automata?

Haven't played Automata but the original was very fun and clever. Planescape is forgettable genre-crap with awful click-combat interludes that wouldn't be much of a book but is absolutely awful as a video game. Nier is a pretty novel piece of Dying Earth fiction which actually uses the medium to its advantage.

I hate Planescape so much. There are no words for how much I wish the meme would end.

>You ever read neal Asher's agent Cormac series?
I want to but I'm a little bit confused, am I supposed to be reading Shadow of the Scorpion first?

I think you mean He-Man kinda felt like Kull.

>I hate Planescape so much.
I can tell!

>There are no words for how much I wish the meme would end.
I dunno man, I've read ahead and I feel like Torment has some pretty interesting shit in it. Stuff like how all the incarnations are different, and are responsible for 90% of everything in the game (though I'm a sucker for "everything's connected", probably why I like Great Expectations so much), or just how much of an evil dick the--what was it called?--pragmatic incarnation was.

Actually, on the subjects of Planescape Torment, has anyone here read any of the Numenara books? I hang out on Veeky Forums mostly and I'd like to see what you guys think of them. The Veeky Forums consensus seems to be that there's potential, but never builds on any of it to make something interesting. Like, there was an example in one of the books about a lake called Dog Lake or something, but it's explained that nobody knows what a dog even is now, and that's as far as it goes in that direction. And that the "Oh, it's not magic, it's just sufficiently advanced magic!" really wears thin after a while since it's otherwise incredibly generic magic stuff.

>Sometimes the imitation is better than the original.
No one has ever been able to top Robert E. Howard though. That man wrote like he was right there witnessing Conan's exploits while hopped up on speed.

You wouldn't happen to have a list of all the SFF featuring catgirls, would you?

In the Days of the Witch-Queens is apparently good, but I can't find it anywhere for download.

Just finished Book of the New Sun, it was incredible and everyone who doesn't like it is a goddamn plebian. The first one of Wolfe's books I've read.

Planning on picking up Urth of the New Sun just to see what happens on Severian's ~Journey to the Stars~. What else should I read from Wolfe, set in that world or otherwise?

Norstrilia invented catgirls. It was OK, nothing really great about it. Some interesting ideas though, like the ramifications of immortality and a post-scarcity society, though those aren't the main focus of the book.

I take over an OP and post stuff occasionally. I'll give you Godsfire, but it hasn't been long enough since the last time for me to flood the general with yiffbait.

>The Female Man
Is this what people used to call dickgirls and futas?

Nah, we called 'em Hermaphrodites.
Herms for short.

>the planet of the apes with cat bitches
Is there some cat fucking in here at least

So I just finished the LotR trilogy after years of picking it up and reluctantly dropping it for school reasons. Of course, I absolutely loved it. Stuck now trying to decide whether to read The Worm Ouroboros or The Broken Sword next. Any suggestions?