Has Veeky Forums tried the Quran? You'd agree that the prose is much better than the Bible's, right?

Has Veeky Forums tried the Quran? You'd agree that the prose is much better than the Bible's, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

quran.com/29/48
youtube.com/watch?v=Z5BtufJfbjM
youtube.com/watch?v=P_Is1todNXw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Incoming shitstorm of 53 /pol/tards, 65 cultural marxists, 321 posts and 0 opinions changed in 3...2...1...

prose aesthetic is not the point of sacred texts

I doubt that anyone on this board can read Arabic. So, no.

nice meme

it's impossible for prose in English to be better than the KJV

I get caught up reading the annotations so I never get very fair. Frankly the history of how the text was interpreted is way more interesting than the text itself.

Of course if I read it in Arabic maybe I would reach higher levels of understanding and the writing would be more interesting.

yeah, some of it is written in nice prose, but overall it couldn't keep my attention

I mean, it's actually a part of Islam that the Qu'ran is so beautifully written, in such a complex form of Arabic, that the people who are supposed to have written it couldn't possibly have done so without divine help, so in this case it is.

it's emtpy in comparison to the bible, like someone wrote a shitty plagiarized version of parts of the old and new testament
genre fiction imo, no offense

Sorry, I don't really like the Dune series

I would like to but I've heard its quite rythmic and hypnotizing. I really don't like feeling like I'm being brainwashed as I read a text. The same reason I dislike reading really any self-help, new age spiritual shit. The feeling of ceding mental sovereignty to some outlet of spiritual wisdom is degrading. So probably not, i'll probably never read it.

Maybe in Arabic.

I can't read Arabic but I can speak it, and the Qur'an is meant to be recited.

I can't read koine Greek but I can read Homeric Greek, so parts of the Bible are accessible to me.

I've read several translations of both: Yusuf Ali is my favourite Qur'an translation, while King James or Douay Rheims is my favourite Bible translation.

The Qur'an contains a far greater variety of literary and rhetoric techniques (some of which are unique, such as iltifaat/grammatical shift) and, though I won't presume to judge or compare the two in terms of substance, I can say the Qur'an is infinitely better written than anything in the Bible.

Are they really comparable? The New Testament was written by barely literate tax collector, a fisherman and a barber.

You're right that the Qur'an is better than the Bible but come on, Pickthall's version is much better than Yusuf Ali's (version).

I read two Spanish translations a few years ago: by Julio Cortés Soroa and by Kamel Mustafa Hallak. Recently I started reading the Hallak's version again. Great book.

i've been meaning to read the torah after recently finding out i have jewish roots, but i have no idea where to start and which translation to get. any suggestions?

It has a spouts of beauty in between a whole load of repetitive dogma, similar to Atlas Shrugged tbqh.
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind,
The Sovereign of mankind.
The God of mankind,
From the evil of the retreating whisperer -
Who whispers [evil] into the breasts of mankind -
From among the jinn and mankind."

>not training yourself by turns to manifest absolute sovereignty in the face of the most cunning and charismatic dogma
What do you think, Veeky Forums, is he already lost?

lmao

>I can speak Arabic
>the Qur'an is infinitely better written than anything in the Bible
I'm willing to bet this fact and this opinion share a common cause. How were you raised, user?

Yes of course, I dont think there is any doubt about that. And I'm saying this as someone who loves the Bible.

Not much weirder than the Bible, just with an added theme of beauty in addition to wisdom and what have you.

The new Jewish Publication Society translation is regarded as a good one. You can buy a version with just the Torah, but I'd recommend getting the entire Tanakh, otherwise you're missing out on the Nevi'im (prophets) and Ketuvim (writings).

Alternatively, any Bible contains the Jewish scriptures, the first 5 books are always the 5 torah books. NRSV is a scholarly Bible translation.

Muslims literally dont like when the quaran is translated into other languages because then people find out how retarded it is

Qurans can be translated so non Arabic speakers can read it but translated Qurans are not actually considered Qurans by Muslims. And this makes perfect sense; if the Quran was written by God in Arabic then an English Quran is not God's word. Translations are useful, but they're faulty and lose information.

Agree, I suppose. I was raised Roman Catholic and there are some beautiful passages in the Bible, but I think everyone should read the Quran. Eventually I want to read the Torrah (sp) in original Hebrew.

No, Muslims are fine with Quran translations. But unlike Christians they never regard a translation as scripture. To be an observant Muslim you pretty much have to learn medieval arabic.

Also Muhammad was an illiterate pedophile

[citation needed]

>In Quran thread
>Hasn't read the Quran
???

quran.com/29/48

did you know according to Muslims Muhammad rode a flying donkey named lightning to Jerusalem.

And this is why they dont want you reading the quran in english

Read the content at the link provided. No reference to found, no citation given.

>John 11:39
>Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.

>stinketh
gets me every time

So your average Veeky Forums poster?

>Quran
>prose
It's poetry you pleb.

Someone was in church last Sunday.
But what church body uses both the RCL and the KJV?

It's Veeky Forums. Most people don't even know how to step out of themselves for a moment, much less the actual meanings of words.

>I can't read koine Greek but I can read Homeric Greek, so parts of the Bible are accessible to me.
So you haven't learned Attic but somehow you read Homeric ?

Nομίζω ὅτι ψεύδεις δή

lmao

Arabic is a very flowery, rather abstract language. I think it makes the Qur'an much more representative of the idea of Allah and heaven. I'm not Muslim, but it's definitely better than most holy texts.

The Quran, the Synoptics, the Epistles, the Ancient Testament, --- nothing even approaches John.

i've read it yes, i'm no white supremacist but fuck it's a retarded text like all abrahamic texts

>τ. ψεύδ

βαkά ωνί χαν

>Has Veeky Forums tried the Quran?
Yes
>You'd agree that the prose is much better than the Bible's, right?
Hell no. The book jumps from subject to subject with no consistency or reason. It reads like a drink epileptic trying to recite the Old Testament. In terms of prose, the Bible isn't consistent, but there is absolutely nothing in the Quran that can compare with the Psalms, Song of Solomon, the Gospel of John, or Revelation

>drink epileptic
*drunk epileptic

Now I've heard two opposite tales, and it is word against word until I find out myself. However, it requires me to learn two/three new languages in such a deep fashion that I can analyze and compare them.
The outcome would be a man closer to God, so why can't I sacrifice anything for it? It's not that I value my time; I waste it.

>it requires me to learn two/three new languages
It requires you to buy a Yusuf Ali Quran and a King James Bible you tryhard

Qur'an overall is better written.
It is similar to Dante in terms of how it affected the language.

That said, Islam is shite

If I wanted a waste of paper I'd buy Das Capital

Suprise suprise, not a single original comment. May your butthurt be eternal. Literature board indeed

>Translations are useful, but they're faulty and lose information.
This is why Islam falls apart. God's holy word isn't universal? It can't transcend the worlds various languages? What makes Arabs such special snowflakes?

>The outcome would be a man closer to God, so why can't I sacrifice anything for it? It'

Its funny but the Koran was written precisely so it would be available and beautiful all mankind - not just classical arabs-

>Qur'an overall is better written.
Which translation and which way did it order the Surahs?

Whilst it lacks some of the dull parts of biblical genealogies its far more repetitive and fragmented in its narrative.

I hear enough about the koran when some tiddly wink blows himself up in a crowd, or runs over pedestrians and it's in the news

>English
Too clumsy a language.

Compared to classical Arabic it is fantastically precise

>precision is important in mythology
You're missing the spectrum, and getting a point in turn. Good job.

>buy a King James Bible
>buy

Not like he can just nick one from a motel or anything eh

I learned all I needed to know about the quran on 911

ive read parts of the qu'ran and the bible...

they're similar in the sense that you know you're reading a religious text.

different in terms of style

qu'ran is more poetic in general i feel, it's poetry is very beautiful.

arabic literature prior to the qu'ran was typically filled with poetry about nature/life in the desert etc. very classical and limited in scope, then it began to evolve over time- and when the qu'ran came it was something completely different.

i've heard that a lot of the feel is lost in translation... to me it sounds a lot like another religious text imo-

the bible has some very interesting stories found within it that are quite enjoyable.

i dunno how to really describe it, im no expert. but you can tell they come from a different place.

>the kjv bible isn't beautiful

lol ok

>it's poetry is very beautiful.
In Arabic? or is there a poetic english translation?

I'd recommend listening to an oral recitation to get a sense of the poetry.

I like this one:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z5BtufJfbjM

So your answer is yes to "only in Arabic"

So when Muhammad marries a nine year old and fucks her in English, what happens in Arabic?

The Quran is a shit book and Mohammed is Satan. Christianity is the only religion that isn't retarded.

Wow even the Christians aren't that arrogant.

Yusuf Ali translation is probably closest to what you want, it aims for majestic language.

My question was when you were speaking of its beautiful poetry were you making that comment based of the Classical Arabic or an English Translation.

My question was not which is better or which english trasnlations are more poetic

kek have a (you)

This as long you correctly recognise that Christianity is also a rejection of Talmudic Judaism.

I can read Arabic.

> nobody is posting any passages from the quran

c'mon

I can read Arabic, but I can't speak or understand it. It's rhythm and prose is incomparable.

Arabic is not the same as english. Read it in arabic and it flows like poetry

As it turns out, Muhammad was an epileptic.

In Islam each prophet has a miracle. Splitting the red sea, turning water into wine, etc. For Mohamed, an illiterate, the Quran is itself the miracle.

Maybe if you stopped >reading in translation like a pleb you could actually experience G-d's word for yourself

>Has Veeky Forums tried the Quran?
Yes.
>You'd agree that the prose is much better than the Bible's, right?
REMEMBER MOSES
REMEMBER MOSES
REMEMBER MOSES
REMEMBER MOSES
REMEMBER MOSES
also what prose?

Pickthall is my second favourite - when he's at his best he surpasses Ali, but I find Ali to be more consistently good.

As a barely practicing Catholic of western European descent.

I did a course in Homeric Greek. διπλοῦν ὁρῶσιν οἱ μαθόντες γράμματα

You clearly don't understand it at all - it's objectively one of the greatest and most influential pieces of literature ever written. How many times did you read it? How many translations? It's no more possible to understand the Qur'an without multiple readings and the necessary prerequisite knowledge than it is to understand Aristotle's metaphysics without those two things.

kek

Anyone with more than a passing interest in literature knows that translations are only an imitation of the original, and that poetry is ruined by translation.

The Bible is very plainly written for the most part.

Augustine wrote in his 'Confessions' about how difficult it was for him to let go of the pagan classics (Virgil specifically) he learned at school because of how they are far better written than anything in the Bible.

Also your use of ' δή ' was presumptive desu. Accuse me of lying if you must, but it's not a fact until you prove it.

ἡ λόγος οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

>implying anyone here can read both Arabic and all the biblical languages
>implying the Bible has a consistent prose style

lmao

The poetry is in the original arabic of course, you fuckwit.

I can. It certainly sounds beautiful. Very hard to translate that beauty though.

Yeah, to a heathen like him, I'm not surprised. All that glitters is not gold

Some parts are poetic, but there are long sections of prose as well.

It doesn't matter how good the prose is since the book is just a manual for jihad and Islamic imperialism.

Continuing to judge the book on aesthetic grounds while being blind to its intolerant and hateful nature is immoral and aids terrorists. The Quran is cited and invoked when terrorists attack. That is more than enough to spurn any sort of positive or playful discussion regarding the Quran.

>I did a course in Homeric Greek. διπλοῦν ὁρῶσιν οἱ μαθόντες γράμματα

Τυγχάνω ταῦτα μεμαθηkὼς ὥστ' οὐδενα δ'ἔλαθες οὒ παιδευθείς.

You're responding with quotes. You took the quote Ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα and replaced "physis" with "logos". You should know that "logos" is masculine, even in Homeric Greek.

Quran recitation is pretty Veeky Forums, like Islam or not.

I unironically respect it and think Plato would have loved this. I think most people like Islam and convert not because of the substance but because of the culture/rituals. A white guy is more likely to convert from hearing to the call to prayer than reading the Quran and saying "wow, that makes sense."

youtube.com/watch?v=P_Is1todNXw

the construction of your sentence is needlessly complex my goy

> hurka durka kill the apostates
> faggots and jews are evil
> unbelievers are pigs/dogs
> women are whores hurka durka

>quran
>better than shit
wow that was really hard
next you'll say harry potter has a better prose

>I don't speak Greek or Latin, nor have I studied grammar, rhetoric, logic and biblical exegesis, but I know better than Saint Augustine

That should be obvious.

I claimed to read Homeric Greek, not to write it fluently.