A : French, Russian
B : German, Italian, English
C : Spain
Complete it or contest it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_di_Benedetto
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osvaldo_Lamborghini
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Now, while England's literature isn't all that, the english language has better literature than any other.
Second of all, Russian literature gets fairly weak after realism (it's pretty much just Bely, Bulgoko and Solzhe), while French literature matches it at all times and stays pretty good.
Third, spanish literature stays right there good job.

>Now, while England's literature isn't all that, the english language has better literature than any other.
Wrong. God, you anglos are delusional.

I'm brazillian retard.
Literature in english is U.S.+England+Ireland+A Decent deal of Africa. France doesn't really compete, as much as I like Proust and Grillet.

>Objective ranking of country
Country, not language. In that case Latin should be at the top, since it has been used for literary purposes for a longer time than English all over Europe.

>U.S
nothing worthwhile
>England
Shakespeare, Milton, and no much more
>Ireland
Joyce
>Africa
writing in sand with sticks

That's it. 3 authors.

>France
Proust, Grillet, Rabelais, Stendhal, Balzac, Camus, Flaubert, Molière, Saint-Exupery, Zola, Rimbaud, Celine, Racine... A single country blows the whole anglosphere.

Disagree. If we except Joyce, Shakespeare, Melville, it is pretty weak.
France have :
Villon, Rabelais, Racine, Corneille, Pascal, Rousseau, Laclos, Rimbaud, Lautréamont, Proust, Céline. And this is certainly not exhaustive, just mentionning those who come at first. Same goes with russian, even If we except Dostoiesky, Tolstoy, Pouchkine - there's still a lot.

Top tier: America
Second tier: All of Europe, including England and Russia
Third tier: Everything else

>U.S.
>Nothing worthwhile
Fuck off I'm not arguing with people who are being intentionally autistic.

jej

t. donald trump

>muh kids going up the Missisipi
>muh American dream
>muh posmo tripe

childish, not even worth reading.

>le English literature is only Shakespeare, Joyce, and Melville
Butthurt Frenchfag detected.

Weak b8

This

Latin American literature has won the right to at least be mentioned:

Borges, Sabato, Cortazar, Bolaño, Vargas Llosa, Rulfo, Bioy Casares, etc.

1. England has the richest tradition, closely followed by France and Italy
2. Germany, Russia

A. French, Russians, and Americas in General (North and South)
B. Spanish, German, Italian
C. United Kingdom, Japan and Indian
D. Portuguese-Africa and French Africa
E. Rest of Europe
F. Rest of Africa and Asia
G. Oceania (is there anyone from the lol)

I'm completely serious. I think America has produced the most good literature out of any nation.

>The UK next to India and Japan
Kys cuck

Read more.

sounds nice to me, but could you explicit what you find so good in america(s)?
also this

US does pomo better than anywhere else because pomo doesn't make sense in any other cultural context tbqhwyf.
But other than that no not really.
>Portuguese africa
Wait what please recommend me books right now.

>Italian over the UK
Italy only has Dante (and maybe Cavalcanti). Both Shakespeare and Chaucer are at least as good as Dante.

>Crane, Melville, Whitman, Hawthorne

Forgot they were French mb

UK literature is overrated. It was imposed on other nations because of Imperialism, period.

Bocaccio, Petrarca, Ariosto, Torquato, Calvino, Svevo, etc.

>US does pomo better than anywhere else because pomo doesn't make sense in any other cultural context
This is true.

Saying Italy only has Dante is like saying the Earth is flat

Literally all shit except for Boccaccio. Get some taste pleb

As opposed to what, endless "realistic" bullcrap about boring ordinary people living boring ordinary lives, basically just the novel version of soap operas?

(((((you))))

I read this as: I've only read Boccaccio from your list.

Not really. Tasso and Ariosto are the only epic poets lived in Europe after Virgil.

>inb4 m-muh Beowulf
No, THAT is sht.

Don't forget Camoes, he wasn't as good as Ariosto and Tasso but he was there either way.

I didn't know about Camoes, thank you user

So what are the dating tips?

I know we already have a thread on this, but any suggestion that Spain belongs anywhere near the top rank of literature is laughable. And putting France above Germany is just bizarre.

I know these threads are driven more by memes and trolling than any genuinely-held or informed opinions, but this is just silly. Obviously literature is mainly subjective, but there are widely recognised classic authors and Germany, Russia, Italy and England / the US clearly come out on top.

Are you for real? Chaucer is just a second-rate Boccaccio. Never mind Petrarch, Ariosto, Machiavelli, Leopardi, Carducci, Manzoni, and all the 20th century contributors to Italian literature. Absolutely one of the most significant literary cultures whichever way you look at it.

And even if you split English-language literature into the constituent nations of the UK, Ireland, and the US (let's be honest, nothing else really counts), each of those still ranks admirably among its competitors and trying to deny it is just petty contrarianism.

Seconding this well-read user.

Out of curiosity, what Spanish authors have you read?

>And putting France above Germany is just bizarre.
It really isn't.

Not him but it really depends on what you seek. For philosophy, Germany is top-tier of course. But for novels France is a hundred times better.

I thought it was a literary ranking, not a philosophical one.

>And putting France above Germany is just bizarre.

nope

> Chaucer is just a second-rate Boccaccio.

nope

this is accurate, as far as novels go, USA-France-Russia is the trinity.

>For philosophy, Germany is top-tier of course

Eh...they're certainly rigorous and sometimes quite clever but they almost always steer philosophy and European culture way off course.

Kant, Hegel, Heidegger, not to mention Luther and Marx, they're worth studying I guess, but they're mostly just plain wrong.

If we're talking countries instead of cultures / languages, I would volunteer Austria(-Hungary) for a first- or at least second-rank position. Kafka, Joseph Roth, Robert Musil, Rilke, Stefan Zweig, Hofmannsthal, Thomas Bernhard, Ingeborg Bachmann and Peter Handke should be at least enough to raise them above the Reichsdeutsche.

And Freud as well. However, I tend to match Austria with Germany as if they were a single country, I don't know why. Geographically and culturally speaking, they're not very different

Native french speaker and quite fluent in english. You are wrong to think english is a better language for litterature than french. French just has so much more diversity than english.

Everyone please ignore this dude he has no idea what he's doing.

A (top tier, shall shine among the aeons, after the last remnants of their civilizations are gone) : Ancient Greece, Rome, France ;
B (the greatest before the top tier, a true soul breathes through them, yet something did seem to have lacked them, and their works are tainted with the colour of great, superhuman, yet unachieved deeds) : Italy, England, Germany ;
C (blind fortune and destiny wrought historical events which prevented such countries from reaching the B tier) : Spain, Ireland, Russia.

English Shakespeare Milton Chaucer Pope Keats Shelley Wordsworth Richardson Austen Blake Defoe Sterne Swift Browning Eliot Dickens

France Flaubert Proust Montaigne Moliere Hugo Stendhal Balzac Rabelais Racine Baudelaire Rimbaud Lautreamont Mallarme Nerval Zola Valerie

Italy Dante Petrarca Lucrecio Leopardi Ovidio San Agustín Boccaccio Manzoni Pirandello Calvino

Russia Tolstoi Chekov Dostoievsky Pushkin Turgeniev Gogol Bulgakov Nabokov

Grace Homer Esquilo Sofocles Euripides Aristofanes Plato

Spain Cervantes Vega Quevedo Góngora
De la cruz Luis de león De la barca Lorca

Germany Goethe Rilke Mann Schiller Hoffmann Holderlin Broch Schopenhauer

US Whitman Melville Dickinson Stevens Crane Emerson Twain Hawthorne James Faulkner Eliot

Ireland Joyce Yeats Beckett

Portuguese Camoes Queiros Pessoa Saramago

Argentina Borges
Chile Vallejo
Mexico Rulfo
Guatemala Asturias
Cuba Lezama lima

Grouping authors by country is only useful to stroke someone's patriotism.

>English
>Pope, Swift

You dumb bitch, they're Irish.

Portuguese is the best langauge for syntax, english/german is the best language for vocab.

English Shakespeare Milton Chaucer Keats Shelley Wordsworth Richardson Austen Blake Defoe Sterne Browning Eliot Dickens Stevenson Wilde Carroll Woolf Conrad

France Flaubert Proust Montaigne Moliere Hugo Stendhal Balzac Rabelais Racine Baudelaire Rimbaud Lautreamont Mallarme Nerval Zola Valerie

Italy Dante Petrarca Lucrecio Leopardi Ovidio San Agustín Boccaccio Manzoni Pirandello Calvino

Russia Tolstoi Chekov Dostoievsky Pushkin Turgeniev Gogol Bulgakov Nabokov

Grace Homer Esquilo Sofocles Euripides Aristofanes Plato

Spain Cervantes Vega Quevedo Góngora
De la cruz Luis de león De la barca Lorca

Germany Goethe Rilke Mann Schiller Hoffmann Holderlin Broch Schopenhauer

US Whitman Melville Dickinson Stevens Crane Emerson Twain Hawthorne James Faulkner Eliot

Ireland Pope Joyce Yeats Swift Beckett

Portuguese Camoes Queiros Pessoa Saramago

Argentina Borges
Chile Vallejo
Mexico Rulfo
Guatemala Asturias
Cuba Lezama lima

Camus is from Algeria though

>doesn't know how to read Latin

>1. England has the richest tradition, closely followed by France and Italy

Right.

Well, there are grear writers from the USA and South America. Veeky Forums discuss them everytime. I enjoy a lot.

Shit user, dont think they are translated. I absolutely adore Mia Couto, he's the most famous one

Don't forget latin america, user. Try Machado de Assis!

Seems fair to me.

It made me kek how the names are written

A: German, Russian
B: Italian, Spain, French
C: English?????

>Camus

This is how I know that I can reasonably ignore everything you have to say.

There are people in this thread arguing over ""their"" country being the best at something.

Brainlet.

>Dude, absurdity, LMAO
>Dude, just rip off early Kierkegaard and add idiocy, poor prose and cigarettes, LMAO

Camus' prose is better than Kierkegaard's. Camus wasn't a philosopher as much as a writer; but his response to the absurd (which he acknowledges is the same conundrum every existentialist faced) is much more based than Kierkegaard's nonsensical leap of faith. Camus avoids any leaps, while giving good reason to not resort to suicide.

Ok Ok, I am Ivan.

American think stinky Radar is like Russian Bear circle Every move American SLMB soombmarine think they follow Russian all this Time HAHAHA!!!

You No laugh? You no Russian girl.

Common Nigga's thats Funny right guys? You thought You where following Russian sub.....

There?? The're??.... Common is funny.

I SAID ITS FUNNY.

More threads on lit are made concerning American authors than authors from any other country.

I think he was referring to how he's not French.

Because 60-70% of Veeky Forums users are American

That is if you count King and John Green threads.

Anyone who resorts to DUDE ____ LMAO is a certified child.

Um thanks, I was about to go all out about being Russian and I want to eat kids... Especially French kids... You helped me fuck it up.

F&*^!ng unfunny trolls... Joking around.... I hate them.

Goddamn Russians should be mourning or something right?

Nabokov is effectively American though

So DeLillo is Italian?

goethe
shakesp
cervantes

who does america have lol?

>Shakespeare, Milton, and no much more

>who are the romantics

Fuck off. Russian literature is leagues ahead of everything.

C'mon man, I'm not American but you can't deny the US has some very good literature out there. It's just annoying to say this because this board is predominantly American and people only talk about the same 3-4 authors, but it's actually some good shit.

Name some of your best literature.

Ever since I argued with my friend from the US who claimed Catcher in Rye and Bukowski trilogy is better than European literature because it's fun and easy to read, I have had bad connotations about readers from US.

A: Argentina
B: Italy
C: Russia
Z: American "literature"

Why must you always be so in love with Italy? Can you not extract yourself from the massive immigration of italians to Argentina? Does it have to influence everything you rate?

Nationalism by proxy, shitty people.

Let's be honest, Moliere sucks.

You're retarded.

fuck off

That's what all French kids say because they have to study one of his plays every year. You should try reading him again when you grow up.

By the way, how are the Spanish classic playwright ? Would you recommend Lope de Vega, Tirso de Molina and their friends ? Spain gets bashed in these threads, but it certainly isn't worthless.

Robbe-Grillet, really ? That's some singular taste. Regarding Camus, it looks like he's overrated outside of France.

I don't think it's relevant, Northern Africa produced a nice load of good writers and intellectuals while it was French.

Nigga I read portuguese.

Objective ranking of country, in regards of literature :
A: French, English, Russian
B: German, Italian, Spanish, American
C: Greek, Irish, Chinese, Czech
D: Argentinean, Canadian, Chilean, Colombian, Hungarian, Indian, Mexican, Portuguese
Complete it or contest it.
E: The rest

Brazil has the best literature out of south america, it isn't read outside just because.
And I'm still saying English literature shouldn't fucking be there because Irish lit is better.

I did and and after you've finished middle school, it doesn't really hold up.
It's not awful of course, some verses are good but it's not top tier theater, it's not even top tier french theater.

But if you think that seeing a servant hitting his master with a stick or seeing a greedy father being reluctant to pay a ransom for his son is hilarious social commentary, I guess Molière is your guy.

Yeah, Lope is definitely one of the universal greats, almost Shakespeare level. Tirso de Molina created the universal myth of Don Juan, so it's also worth reading. Also, Calderón de la Barca wrote some of the best plays out there. For XIXth century Spanish playwrights I reccomend Duque de Rivas (his most famous play being Don Álvaro o la fuerza del sino), Moratín, and Zorrilla.

Also if you like satire, Larra had some of the best satiristic essays ever written.

There's no way Čapek, Škvorecký, Kundera, Topol, Hašek, etc. are above Borges, Bioy Casares, Cortázar, Sabato, Saer, di Benedetto, Lamborghini and so on.
Even if I give you Kafka it would be contested. And considering Kafka Czech literature is an enormous stretch.

Lamborghini? Who's that?
Also, I can't find the wikipedia page of Di Benedetto

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_di_Benedetto
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osvaldo_Lamborghini

>But if you think that seeing a servant hitting his master with a stick or seeing a greedy father being reluctant to pay a ransom for his son is hilarious social commentary, I guess Molière is your guy.
It's funny because I actually enjoy it, but the plays you're referring to are among the early, lesser known ones (generally speaking). Dom Juan is god-tier, and several other plays like The Misanthrope or even The Précieuses Ridicules have all that a smart adult can expect from comic theatre. I'm pretty sure there must be some serious study on Molière, like what Doubrovsky did with Corneille, because Molière's status is well deserved.

Thanks. It's weird that their complete works are not so easy to find, that is, outside Spain at least. I read yesterday that one of these 3 classic authors had written like 300+ plays ? Kinda hard to believe, but it would explain why you don't just buy and read them all like you can do with Shakespeare's works.

Apart from Kafka, the rest are second-rate. Yes, even Rilke.

Ireland may be better taking population over time into account, but that isn't what we are measuring here. Also, I've never heard of any good Brazilian authors.
You are forgeting Havel, Klima, Hrabl - and I would also consider Kafka Czech because we are talking about countries, not nationalities or language. Otherwise, these rankings would be dramatically different. Borges alone might have put Argentina on a higher tier, but it seemed wrong to put a literature so defined by one person on par with Greece or Ireland.
So my ranking stands.

Yes, I think that was Lope. He wrote a shitton of plays. I don't know if you can find most of them nowadays anywhere though.

English lit isn't really good apart from Shakespeare and Chaucer. Milton is plain bad. Nothing of value came out of England after Shakespeare. Americans and Irish have far surpassed them, aside from Shakespeare, who was Catholic, so hardly even a real Englishman.

Fuck off with your shilling. Russian literature will never be above French or English literature in scope or quality.

Thanks bro

>Rilke second-rate
C R I N G E
>Musil second-rate
I bet you're one of those pseuds who read Ulysses, GR and IJ only because Veeky Forums made a fucking chart with them at the top. Fucking great!
Get some education, shithead.