Continuing from thread (image limit reached): >>9327692

continuing from thread (image limit reached): history/theory of science I

Other urls found in this thread:

catilineconspiracy.com/2017/04/04/1-15-on-wittgenstein-epistemic-authority-and-frame-changes/
catilineconspiracy.com/2017/04/04/1-18-the-politics-of-the-myth-collected-notes-on-democratic-theory/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

history/theory of science II

history/theory of science III

practical arts: hunting, sailing, chess

practical arts: chess, go
classical psychology

Post your fiction already

shakespeare I

Half of these books look like they've never been opened. Have you actually read ANY of them?

shakespeare II/ harold bloom

literary theory I

literary theory II

Hey OP, do you have this book? Would be great if you have this one:
Utopia or Oblivion: The Prospects for Humanity
by R. Buckminster Fuller

OP how big is your fucking house to fit all these shelves jesus christ

speech writing resources

i do! will scan in by friday.

i keep all books in my basement.

aesthetics and politics/ problems of contingency/ european history I

I think this guy tried to open a bookstore and failed. he bought 40k books off of craigslist and went out of business

european history II

architecture/ british history

architecture/ the enlightenment

architecture/ british history II

japan/ china/ korea

china/ korea/ the middle east

aesthetics and politics/ architecture

european history IV

european history V

nice dildo

european history VI

european history VII

i'm an archer: it's the dildo of eternal life. you get one shot to hit it a day; if you miss, you lose a year, but if you hit it, you live forever.

no way you've read 10-15% of everything you own.

european history VIII

european history IX

ask me questions rather than just assume. but--obviously, right?

european history X

european history XI

european history XII

ITT:
>how to be an irrelevant 'footnote academic'

european history XIII

Ok, how many pages do you read per day? Books per day/week/month?

You say you keep most of these books for reference, but when it comes to look something up, how do you decide which of your many, many volumes to look through? How is it curated?

Also, how do you share and make available this knowledge bank you've collected? Is your library open to the public? How often do you scans books for anons?

>that pile in the background

Kek OP u madman.

Repostan from previous thread

ima say this once, and once only, because if you read through my posts i have gone out of my way to be polite, to show you kindness, and to disclose my intentions--of which you have not responded at all.

let me make it very clear: not one of you--so full of anger and insecurity--could ever, ever compete with me on an intellectual level. while i have not read anything close to the entirety of my collection, i have read an incredible amount; i can speak intelligently across disciplines and subjects; and i have plenty of worthwhile opinions, some controversial and some sanctioned. but you don't care about this. all you do is hurl ad hominems; you ask nothing about my interests, you ask nothing that would demonstrate your knowledge or challenge mine, and you don't respond when i do try to engage in any meaningful way.

you all are truly flawed human beings. until you start acting like adults, i will ignore you, and continue offering what i have to those worth speaking to.

you embarrass yourselves with your gross stupidity and lack of basic human decency.

and i know: this post will receive nothing but the same kind of belligerence. i'm not going to be surprised--but just know that, the more you post as you have, the less anyone in this world will respect you or take you seriously.

engage me on an intellectual registrar or not at all. these principles should be obvious to you; but they are not, and reaching you seems impossible. therefore, i will give up before i succumb to the same type of anger.

where do you stand on the externalism internalism debate? Have you read any Wilfrid Sellars or John McDowell? Are you plans to achieve a PhD and be a professor?

great question. i run a reading group with two other friends in washington, DC: my library is totally open to that group (some 30+ scholars, politicians and businessmen), as well as whatever intellectual circles i run in post-cornell (i have several friends who teach at georgetown, AU and GW). of course, my effort here is to open it up even further to the general public writ large--especially the internet.

i have both a special scanner and several people willing to help/scan. see my response above--my friends/colleagues will often come and either take a volume or scan it.

Holy... I want more

wtf lol

This is Veeky Forums OP. If you try to engage them at any level then they will have what they want. Save your time for others.
Stuff like this paragraph
>let me make it very clear: not one of you--so full of anger and insecurity--could ever, ever compete with me on an intellectual level.
however true, makes you sound like a sperg. Don't do it :3

lol OP, this is the internet, are you so fucking new that you dont see trolling?

lemme give you a tip man
never do what you just did with this post
you fully revealed your autism by making a huge post directed at edgelords and trolls

this is how you get screencaps made of you. don't do this man.

Still curious about the curation side of things. How do you usually go about adding to your collection? How do you decide what to add, and how do you obtain them? How often do you downsize or cut redundant or just plain bad books?

excellent question. epistemic justification is a favorite topic of mine--i've approached the problem through wittgenstein and harman primarily, and, while i don't refer to sellers or mcdowell, they are in the back of my mind--same with plantinga and warranted belief. my stance on the subject of "changing frames" might offer some insight here:
catilineconspiracy.com/2017/04/04/1-15-on-wittgenstein-epistemic-authority-and-frame-changes/

i gotta go to dinner, but great topic: i'll post more later, especially how i think that the internalist/externalist debate plays out today in populist politics as the fundamental cleavage between antinomeans (those who externalize truth born internally) and establishmentarians (those who internalize truth born externally). i think the first category encompasses the alt-right and alt-left; i think the latter defines things like academic communities and scientific traditions (though, of course, kuhn and collins and so on have a lot to say here).

i'll engage the analytics more when i return.

id definitely love to hear how you connect this to politics when you get the chance later on. I'll read this article too

yo OP can u scan atlas shrugged for me?

Nice exif data, it would be a shame if any of these publishers knew you were scanning these.

sharing knowledge for free/no economic benefit in a self-titled academic/literary setting.

yeah, you're right, i'm sure they'd be furious.

Can you tell me what to read to get a gf?

> exif
Wat
Except for /p/, Veeky Forums removes those to prevent dox

I asked about introductory books from the last thread and you asked me to narrow it down, so Ill copy what I said

>I took a political philosophy course in undergrad where we read Hobbes and Locke. Other than that I'm completely new. as far as interests go I would like to learn more about the American political system

Or does they??

Take care not to be an intellectual yet idiot.

Use your knowledge for practical good; real change in the world.

Sorry user but no, not even he, the greater reader, can guide you through this venture.

i resent this foul accusation! that my staggering intellect can be summarized as gross stupidity... i will have you know my knowledge of the craft of words exceeds the very boundaries of reality.

it's clear that your childish posturing does nothing to damage your ill-warranted assumptions of superiority, but it brings shame upon me, for a towering intellectual such as myself should not be brought to tarry with such meager minds.

>this actually hit a nerve for you
>convince yourself that replying with a cutesy post will make the ego boo boo go away

Hey OP, interesting collection to say the least. Could you scan all the Richard Hofstadter books you have? Also, I didn't see The Paranoid Style in American Politics in there, do you have that one? Really interested in reading Violence and the Sacred by Girard, too. Thanks, you're doing a great service to us all

what can i say? weakness still lingers in me; i rule over syracuse, but look to athens on the horizon...

i fucking love you--hofstadter is one of my all time favorites. his anti-intellectualism in american life is the basis of my disertation--i absolutely have the paranoid style (another incredibly influential essay on my thought), as well as his essays on goldwater and the rise of the alt-right, and will happilly scan in all.

would you like all the girard as well?

Okay but is there anything I can read to make me taller?

you have to take five books with you to a deserted island, what do you choose?

maths I

plato--the dialogues
aristotle--the collected works
augustine--city of god against the pagans
aquinas--summa theologiae
wittgenstein--philosophical investigations/on certainty
bonus round: the bible, king lear (shakespeare), the waves (woolf), peeling the onion (grass)

what about you?

maths II

maths III

maths IV

maths V

maths VI

I really enjoy the "consensus historians", Hofstadter, Hartz, Boorstin, Schlesinger, it's a shame that in the past two decades or so they have been kind of pushed aside in favor of Zinn et al. There are some folks like David McCullough who carry on that tradition, though.

>as well as his essays on goldwater and the rise of the alt-right

A little confused by this, Hofstadter died over 40 years ago. I can see a remote linkage between Goldwater and Trump in that they are both populist to a certain degree, but Goldwater only in the sense that he was being compared to the likes of Nixon, Lodge and Nelson Rockefeller. Maybe you could link Goldwater to the alt-right through states' rights or his strident anti-communism, but the American public was generally anti-communist then and detente was still controversial, and states' rights remained very much a live issue at that time as the federal government tried to figure out how to dismantle segregation in the South while leaving federalism intact.

>would you like all the girard as well

Kek I would, but you're already doing a lot, I don't want to overwhelm you.

maths VII

You are very erudite, no doubt about that. So please help me with this: what's the best book on ancient Greek history in your opinion? If the best is not your favorite, list them both please.

maths VIII
biology I

hofstadter addresses goldwater directly as a perfect manifestation of the paranoid style; see his essays "the psuedo-conversative revolt" (1954), "pseudo-conservatism revisited" (1964/1965), and "goldwater and pseudoconservative politics"

i agree entirely, btw--i prefer the consensus historians infinitely to this zinn, julian zelizer, etc. bullshit.

biology II

history of greece in specific, or history of greek philosophy? what's the angle you wanna cover?

History of Greece. Of course philosophy should be there, but I'm looking for something more general.

aspects of cognition

honestly, if you are really just starting out, i would recommend Miller's "very short introduction to political theory" by oxford. these little texts are great intros, written by top scholars, on all major theorists.

if you want a holistic treatment from the ground up, something a little more serious and meaty, then i would suggest sheldon wolin's "politics and vision"

if you want to go to primary source materials, then--and this is a meme, no doubt--i would recommend starting with the greeks and moving up: anaxamander, anaxagoras, thales, pythagoras, heraclitus, parmenides--socrates/plato, aristotle, etc.

this is the slowest, most arduous method. but you will change as a human being and become truly wise. what can i say? "long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

game theory/ logic

(i began my graduate education with formal modeling)

linguistic theory

french/latin

anthologies I

I answered here, user Don't think you saw it...

anthologies II

Do you think it's even possible to have a "consensus history" of the past 30-40 years, which is when the consensus broke down and Zinn and his ilk started taking over, which provoked a similar right-wing reaction? It's obviously too early to do a proper history of Obama and Bush II, but I'd like to think that, given that Schlesinger wrote in the 1950s about the 1920s, 30s, and early 40s, we can reach some kind of generally acceptable understanding of the pre-9/11 Carter, Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton years. It doesn't seem like it, though.

could you dropbox the arden Shakespeare editions?
can confirm that the only ones already
online are As You Like It ,Much Ado About Nothing,Othello,The Taming of the Shrew ,The Tempest and the Sonnets.

anthologies III

sorry, missed it.

i would highly recommend:
Fine's "the ancient greeks: a critical history"
Lendon's works on greek warfare, including "song of wrath" and "soldiers and ghosts"
Finley's "legacy of greece"--its an edited volume with a lot of great essays on various topics by top scholars
jaeger's three-volume "paideia"
vernnant's work on myth and greek society
guthrie's "history of greek philossophy"--all volumes. while he covers every aspect of greek philsophy, guthrie's treatment is utterly exhaustive, and you'll have a wonderful grasp of history by the end as well
munn's "the school of history"
cooper's "the pursuit of wisdom"--a little more laymen oriented, but a good treatment of the various "ways of life" found in ancient greece
ober's "the rise and fall of classical greece"
loraux's "the invention of athens" and "the divded city" for more theoretical treatments
burkhardt's the greeks and greek civilization
onian's "the origins of european thought"--this is a little bit more idiosyncratic, and onians is a stickler for precise historical detail, but you will learn a lot about how the greeks saw the world
mcdonald's "progress into the past"--his treatment of myceneaen civilization cannot be beat
croix's "the class struggle in the ancient greek world"
godolphin's two-volume "the greek historians"

honestly, though, i am unaware of a series that is comparable to mommsen's history of rome, for instance. if you have any suggestions, i would of course be all ears.

i should say, there is also a complete arden Shakespeare out there but it lacks most of the commentary and scholarship that made the arden editions so famous .

>the more you post as you have, the less anyone in this world will respect you or take you seriously.
who is connecting my irl self to my posts

anyways, post a paper you've published- i'd be happy to give it a read. too bad you won't do it lol

btw cornell isnt even top 10 in your discipline

scrolled thru the thread and found a link
sorry u have cancer bro but i still got secondhand embarrassment from your post

science fiction/fantasy

i again agree entirely. there are some scholars who i think are beginning to do this--maybe not with bush II or obama, but with raegan and clinton--see sean wilentz, for instance.

but i do not think we will return to a consensus politics; i think the academic conditions that made that salient are no longer in existence. anyone who is in theory/history at the grad level today will tell you: the fucking main trope now is all about "disenthrallment" from various states of "beholdenment." all scholars want to do is make a name for themselves by shouting at another that they missed "this" or forgot "that." it's basically become a world of strawmanning, with the larger problems falling out of fashion as pathetically trivial debates foment and take hold.

there are some people today who i think are doing a better job than not, though. michael kazin's work on populism is excellent--but of course this doesn't count as consensus politics. but i wanna see a lot more from scholars like him.

absolutely! would be a pleasure. any shakespeare criticism along with it?

Wow, that is a glorious list. You are simply amazing, user.

Are you actually going to scan the requests people made? Because I wouldn't like to miss that for anything in the world.

>science fiction/fantasy
Now we're getting somewhere

lit/poetry I

i know you wont read it, but here's something to chew on:
catilineconspiracy.com/2017/04/04/1-18-the-politics-of-the-myth-collected-notes-on-democratic-theory/

lit/poetry II

thanks, man--i absolutely intend to scan everything people have asked for thus far. if you have any requests, feel free to let me know.

lit/poetry III

lit/poetry IV

lit/poetry V

lit/poetry VI