I don't know why but I love this book

I don't know why but I love this book

probably his best desu

It is extremely polarizing, but those who like it love it.
read 9 stories and Raise High/Seymour for more Glass Family stuff.
Bananafish, the first short in 9 Stories is GOAT Salinger

Me too.

bump

>It is extremely polarizing
This is almost never true. I'm so tired of hearing this idiotic phrase.
>ya either love it, or ya hate it haha there's no in between.

I hate u

After 9 stories, check out Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze and Other Stories by Saroyan.

How is it better than The Catcher In The Rye?

the prose mane
and Franny is super-relatable as a character.

I find Franny quite a bit more annoying than Holden for some reason. They're very similar with probably the only substantial differences being that she's a girl and the religious aspect. She wasn't as convincing to me because I don't know why she seems to be suddenly having cry/faint-inducing revelations about presumably what her boyfriend and everyone else is like compared to her although she seems to know all this already. And even so, there's no Mr. Antolini to balance her out.
My favourite part about "Franny" is how her boyfriend is written. And I do like the observant style of the prose ("leaning forward rhetorically"). What do you like about "Zooey"?

Was the way that Franny seemed so uncaring about hiding the green pilgrim book that she seemed so secretive/embarassed about when she was holding it when she got off the train/ pulled it out of her bag when looking for tissues a plot-hole/necessary inconsistency? You could say she wanted Lane to notice it but she was shocked when Lane spotted it on the table.

>babby's second Salinger

Fucking casual

Uhhhm, ive actually kind of read ALL of salingers published works soo.... this is a bit awkward?

thr way you write makes me want to kill you. run away or i'll slit your throat, fucker.

lmao kill you'Re selves you fucking losers

Faggot

I want someone to reply to my posts please, thank you

Franny is just an amalgam of a troubled young person trying to find a truth to hold on to amidst emotional turmoil and alienation. She constantly hides her inner truth (symbolized by the pilgrim book) and tries to break the "shell" of other people to express herself. This central conflict mirrors Salinger's relationship to his audience and critics which got increasingly hostile as time went on. At the same time Franny is gifted and sheltered but her sense of personality comes crashing down when she "understands" that she will never be able to authentically express herself in the first part of the book. It's an americanized Bildungsroman turned upside down.

But why does she think it's something wrong with her not being able to express herself and not something wrong with Lane and the people around her? Her's is similar to Holden's problem as far as I understand it, the difference being that Holden explicitly thinks there's a problem with everybody else while I'm not so sure with Franny. But either way, I don't see why a Mr. Antolini type conversation wouldn't at least help Franny to move along in the right direction so it feels a bit incomplete/ a step backwards from Catcher but I suppose that's what Zooey does in "Zooey" with his phone call if I remember correctly.

But basically what I want to know is what sets it apart from what I think is Salinger's best work CITR?

His style has matured quite a bit and seems less character-driven. His reflections have moved away from coming-of-age to general artistic and personal crisis and his insight seems more brave and strives for something truly profound (even though you could say he fails at delivering a catharsis; Salinger knew that though.). The scene with Zooey looking out of the window at the little girl playing with her dog is very beautiful and memorable to me. I loved the characters. It's a bit more quirky and cutesy than Catcher in the Rhye but that only makes it more appealing if you're into something a bit more twee.

I suppose a lot of that maturing and sense of him creating distance between his message and characters could just come from him writing in the third-person.

It really annoyed me. I found both Franny and Zooey to be extremely obnoxious characters.

I just like it. The characters are well developed but nowhere near empathetic as Holden. They are whiny and spoiled.

This. Holden's arrogant but with the right intentions. Franny is sanctimonious.

you retard

Probably my favorite book.

i unironically hope wes anderson makes an adaptation of this book