Is it possible to avoid cognitive decline related to aging?

Is it possible to avoid cognitive decline related to aging?

Suppose I have a perfect diet, get regular exercise, never drink or use harmful drugs, continue studying and learning, and so on. Could I expect only a marginal decline in my cognitive abilities? Could I still have some achievement at a later age?

Other urls found in this thread:

aging-us.com/article/100690/text
apoe4.info/wiki/Bredesen_Protocol
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4035379/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2544628/
youtube.com/watch?v=owh-saFuvhU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, with all those criteria met the best you could hope for is a marginal reduction in the decline of your cognitive abilites.

Provided you don't get dementia, you can still be sharp into your sixties, but you have to understand you won't be relying on innovative thinking as much as the connections you've made between stuff you've learned, or crystallized intelligence.

Sport and diet obviously help.

cardio and weightlifting

You must be fun at parties.

It's an incredibly tough pill to swallow, but the fact of the matter is we're born with most neurons we'll ever have, and by the time we're fully developed we have all we'll ever have. New connections can be made, and neurons have remarkable regenerative abilities- provided they don't completely die- but the accumulation of mutations is impossible to avoid, and the fact that it's a one way street means that even training one's own mind is merely a test of optimization; making the most of what we have by means of more pure logic.

Drinking and drugs are scary for this reason- removing what precious we already have is suicide. What I would suggest holistically is to study mathematics and logic, and exercise framing everything in your life as mere extensions of simple operations (conditional, negation, conjunction, disjunction, etc.). In doing so, and in entraining the mind to follow such logic, you can process information without having to use more than is necessary, which makes neurodegeneration less taxing on the mind, and allows for easier bridging of data sets.

The main reason for aging and cognitive decline is oxidative stress aka free radicals. You can only minimize it by having a diet rich in antioxidants, but it's impossible to stop.
weightlifting shortens lifespan, it is not a form of exercise designed for humans

>weightlifting shortens lifespan
Holy fuck, does this mean a lot of bodybuilders are going to die early? Please let it be true, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
Hope their dumbass tattoos speed up the process too.

Are you like, twelve?

>it is not a form of exercise designed for humans

I should just leave Veeky Forums. There's only stupid undergrads here.

>avoid
No
>minimize
Yes
Regular cardio, healthy diet with lots of antioxidanta and keeping your mind active

it is true you retard
humans were never meant to carry heavy stuff around, all of their energy was used first on climbing and travelling, then on hunting by running, this is the reason human body shape is the way it is, it was optimized for long, sustained exercise, not carrying (relatively) heavy weights like ants or beetles
educate yourself

is OPs premise that he can avoid death if he eats his veggies?

Right now? Absolutely.

Get your firewood ready put in some Chet Baker and read aging-us.com/article/100690/text

Protocol : apoe4.info/wiki/Bredesen_Protocol

Have fun!

I bet you`d like me to be, you creep.

This thought is literally only perpetuated by people who don't like to do work.

How could muscular hypertrophy shorten your lifespan? Instead of just spouting shit like "humans were never supposed to", please provide some actual reasons or avoid posting in the future.

Man, you lifters are so sensitive when presented with facts.

Do you realize how many studies consistently show muscle mass is a great predicter of longevity?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4035379/

Especially leg muscles mass.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2544628/

When people in their older ages no longer have the muscle mass to walk on their own their remaining lifespan is practically halfed. The studies insurance companies use no just cut your expected life expectancy in half if they find out you can't walk.

These people become practically inactive which leads to main killers of the world cardiovascular disorders and their new lack of locus of control leads to sever mental distress which also increases risks for both death and cognitive disorders. Not to mentioned it makes them less likely to try to exercise with the remaining abilities.

You're literally killing people with your non scientific advice.

Your comprehension of is appalling.

Yes, his argument isn't as strong as
>don't lift heavy things because we aren't ants and beetles
>is bad for your lifespan
>I'm projecting because I'm an overweight neet
Of course

>How could muscular hypertrophy shorten your lifespan?
oxidative stress you idiot, orders of magnitude higher than that of aerobic exercise
>I'm projecting because I'm an overweight neet
no, I run daily and I'm underweight actually
weightlifting WILL help you extend life expectancy if you are overweight, but past that point it's only harmful at best

>oxidative stress is orders of magnitude higher than aerobic exercise
I don't even know if you are aware of how wrong you are. ATP production ends with free radicals and this is a process that is ongoing without end throughout your entire life unless you poison yourself with cyanide. This is the main source of oxidative stress in your body.

The fluctuation in ATP production is based on usage, and according to your argument, aerobic exercise produces far more free radicals that anaerobic, which can draw energy from other sources such as phosphocreatine.

This is a meme argument. The baseline oxidative stress generated from keeping a person alive is so high that fluctuations caused by exercise are balanced by the health benefits of their results. To think otherwise is simply justification for not wanting to do something.

>oxidative stress

Do you even know what that implies? What evidence do you have that the oxidative stress created from weight lifting is too much for the ROS system of the body to handle and that this causes permanent damage? You do realize we have a system in place to deal with said stress correct? Does SOD not ring a bell?

You didn't even address a single point I made in either. If you're not trolling me then I seriously hope you don't reproduce.

>dont fall for fermented jew
>dont fall for 420 jew

>DYEL can't tell the difference between facts and opinions

If you avoid all man-made fields and have broad intake of various antioxidants, and a high quality diet, you could delay cognitive decline quite a bit.

It's strange knowing everyone is living near and walking around with, devices that cause brain damage. It's like looking into the box of another reality, and it feels pretty bad knowing people's desires and dreams haven't changed, but their probable outcomes definitely have. Powerlines and high frequency transients and harmonics generated by modern transformers were bad enough, wireless digital transmission just does it all right in. And you can't explain it to people. There's just too much. Too many incorrect beliefs and too much history.

What?

>New connections can be made, and neurons have remarkable regenerative abilities.
You seem to know about this stuff. More or less at witch rate are new connections made, and at witch rate are the connection strength (bandwith if you want) modified? It's for a personal project.

Can be done is mice so far

Muscle mass isn't weight lifting you retard, and that muscle mass itself isn't beneficial. It just means it was gained through good exercise.

>Muscle mass isn't weight lifting

No shit but how exactly do you gain more muscle mass without weightlifting? Aerobic exercises do not induce much hypertrophy but instead increased capillary formation and mitochondrial density as only the slow twitch muscle fibers are being recruited and that's their main modes of adaptation to stress. Only with anarobic exercises that activate fast twitch muscle fibers will you see significantly increase muscle mass as their main mode of adaptation is to increase surface area for more myosin actin associations to increase force production.

>that muscle mass itself isn't beneficial. It just means it was gained through good exercise

What is "good exercise" and how is the increased muscle mass not helpful? What is causing these people to live longer then? What are you basing any of this on?

racetams have been proven clinically significant at doing this since the 60s. they have been, and still are, used to counter cognitive decline (specifically in the elderly and those with dementia/alzhemiers). piracetam in particular, the longest studied one, also has virtually zero side effects - comparable to the amount of sides you could possibly get from taking an advil for reference

weirdly it was also found to alleviate depression to a significant degree when coupled with an antihistamine.

It is completely variant on how active you are with regards to learning. Researchers haven't been able to map the exact placement of the dendrites of neurons (the branches that connect them to send signals), but we know of the phenomenon experimentally and observationally through electrical activity scans.

The best guess though is that the rate is controlled by a lot of factors. Getting more sleep will typically help, as the 'plaque' that builds up in the brain is flushed out during sleep, allowing for easier stereochemistry for neural connection, and keeping the mind active in trying to learn new processes, and almost in an art-mimics-life sort of way, building conceptual connections is thought to actually spur the growth of neuronal connections that will allow for quicker computation of those connections, which is why I advised the universalization of concepts via symbolic logic.

Connection strength and new connections is going to end up being by and large the same thing. Neurons are on and off- binary, for the most part, and the way they turn on is if they receive enough positive signals from the connections to them, they fire, and if they receive more negative signals from the connections, they don't- so naturally, in the process of building new neural pathways, a consequence is generating more connections that'll end up firing the connected neuron. It might only cause the chain from one group of neurons to another to be milliseconds faster, but compounded over the many neurons in the brain can end up making a huge impact on the connection strength.

If I were you, I'd look into the connectome project. It's a project that utilizes ultra-thin slicing paired with electron microscopy to be able to map every neuron in a brain. Once this effort has been completed, the hope is that we can build computer models (since we know how neurons work, knowing the placement is a huge boon), to be able to work out the quantitative aspect of "how much".

Certain pharmacological compounds to show great promise in mitigating cognitive decline in aging, at least in model organisms.

That doesn't mean that those results will translate over to humans though; the best you can do is take whatever neuroprotective compounds the rest of your life and hope something worked and/or that you live long enough that something is proven beyond a doubt to work in humans.

Cardiovascular disease also chokes off the brain by lowering the oxygen delivered to it so keeping that in good shape is also essential. Older people can have myriad tiny strokes over years and years that they don't really feel or perceive but are chipping away at cognitive ability; in autopsy many old people have withered/atrophied parts that came from a decline in vascularization. Reducing odds of developing CVD also obviously reduces the odds that you don't die outright from heart disease or a major stroke to begin with.

Go do another 20 thousand reps and check yourself in the mirror.

You're already fucked if you're in your 20s.

youtube.com/watch?v=owh-saFuvhU