How do I become a charismatic teacher, Veeky Forums?

How do I become a charismatic teacher, Veeky Forums?

My students don't hate me but I've noticed their opinions on me are very mild like "He knows his stuff", "He's an ok teacher", "He's so so".

I've noticed this thing with famous teachers at uni where their classes play more like a "sales pitch" or "comedy sketch", they sound more like entrepreneurs than teachers.

How do I make my classes more like Sagan's, le nigger science man and pre-faggotry Bill Nye?

If you have to ask, you will never be.

If you are someone who unironically uses the word "nigger" to describe other human beings then you are already too rotten from the core to be charismatic and relatable.

This is what the average 2017 user looks like.
Are you also going to redirect me to /pol/?
Shut up, nigger.

what a bore you are
personal stories that relate to the lesson are my advice, makes you more human which makes them more likely to ask you questions instead of being quiet and terrified of looking dumb.

>unironically uses the word "nigger"
>unironically
is there any other way to use it?

How about you concentrate on teaching instead of charisma.

But user, he's not there to impart knowledge, he's there to feel good about himself and have people praise him for not being painfully mediocre.

so Hitler and Winston Churchill and abraham lincoln and ghandi weren't charismatic?
They all had low opinions of black people and were very well liked and charismatic leaders.

I don't think you thought through your hypothesis very well.

>How about you concentrate on teaching instead of charisma.
>implying students will learn because you explained the material well
>implying it's not much easier to give an interesting lecture where students go home after and spend hours on the homework because you didn't explain the material well but they like you.
>implying the second way won't teach students more than the first

Good teachers need charisma, you dumbass.
You're going to have unengaged students if you just read things off a text like a monotone monkey.

>concentrate on teaching
>imparting knowledge by being a boring textbook teacher
That shit doesn't work nowadays, do you really think the class will be engaged by a teacher that lacks charisma?

If you're not charismatic you can 100% sure most of your class won't pay attention to what you say

Sure, most people will be bored out of their minds

>unengaged students
but its their own fault if they are unengaged, they better engage fast I they will drop out

Are you a PhD nigger doing his compulsory teaching rounds? If yes, read some pedagogy and maybe psychology.

Do teachers and professors actually come on he and frog-post?

be like walter lewin
do some shit in the lecture and sexually harass a girl online

also create a youtube channel and solve some problems to upload

>sexual harassment
no such thing

I didn't say that wasn't the case. I'm just questioning OP's true motivation.

he did nothing wrong

Make jokes.

stop using slides you nigger

this

>using the blackboard
The moment a teacher picks up the chalk you just KNOW he didn't prepare anything for the class.
Good teacher either prepare everything on their computers or can explain everything without making silly drawings on the blackboard

Chalk makes too much of a mess, I can type 120 words per minute and draw what I want on my drawing tablet. Why should I even bother with the blackboard

(((lewin)))

I honestly think most charismatic teachers either drink or snort some candy before class.

So, what the fuck do you teach?

>I've noticed this thing with famous teachers at uni where their classes play more like a "sales pitch"

i despised this as a student. just get down to business. i'm already sitting in your class, you don't need to "sell" anything. stop with the memery

I'm not really a teacher yet, I'm a PhD nigger doing his compulsory teaching rounds.
I'm in a CC program so I get to teach anything that's in it, from Software Engineering to Project Management.

Sleep with them. Positive conditioning has shown to be more effective than negative conditioning.

My best teachers were the ones who actually loved their subject and wanted to let other people know about it. I don't think that you truly can force passion onto fields that you don't like.

Post? Yes. Frogpost? I fucking hope not.
I've been on Veeky Forums for 6 years, and I was a master's student back then.

That's because you're an 18-year old sperg. You're the 1%, the other 99% of the class wants to be entertained.

>18-year old

if only.

Conveying your passion into words requires charisma.

You could be 30 for all I care, my argument stays the same.

you don't learn anything if your professor just talks about how great the subject is. i notice a lot of professors have a tendency for doing this without presenting the material in adequate depth. it's the worst kind of teaching style desu.

Be upbeat and talk in details about the subject and toss in random interesting factoids related to subject.

If you're passionate then charisma comes naturally with it.

Old people like to shitpost as much as young people

I've show this place to my advisor and weeks late rhe e-mailed me his "epic" thread

>If you're passionate then charisma comes naturally with it.
Not really, you can be passionate and creepy instead of passionate and charismatic.

>Just be yourself
That's the worst kind of advice you can give.

Since you teaching CC your students must have a interest on the pratical stuff you can do w/ what you're teaching. So try to bring more pratical examples of nowadays problems, even if your lectures are purelly theoretical.

If they come to talk w/ you about this in the end of the lecture, you're doing a good job.

Besides that don't worry, this teaching skill will come with time, you're yet a PhD student.

Good Luck CCbro

How do you can be creepy while talking about fields unrelated to sex?? At worse, your students think that you're eccentric.

>Software Engineering to Project Management.

good luck. these are the driest sort of classes i've ever had to take.

>How do you can be creepy while talking about fields unrelated to sex
By being the average user.

I know, they can be very boring classes. Thing is the charismatic and famous teachers can make even these sorts of classes very good

What do you teach?

See

The best professor i had to this day was a compsci professor (i'm taking a double major).
The way he does is very engagin compared to other compsci professors i had.
He proproses a problem, then he explains every step of the way in solving the problem, then he presents new functions or a better algorithm to solve the problem, then he increments the problem increasing it's complexity and introducing new functions tinkering with the algorithm.
Every step of the way he keeps the class engaged, i mean, he is constantly explaining what he is doing as he is writing the code.
I know it sounds a little generic but the way he does is really unique compared to other professors i had.

learning software development models is about as exciting as watching paint dry and made me want to pick a different major.

the only thing i can think of is maybe find a few interesting case studies.

I had a professor who couldn't stop talking about his life and the awesome people he knew every single class. He gave a definition or whatever and if it reminded him of someone or something he would never shut up. Don't be this guys, user.

Instead treat the subject itself as something fun and engaging, try to give real life applications of what you're teaching and explain everything like nobody remembers anything they learnt before (this is always true for undergrads). If you just want to be popular, make tests easy as fuck and every student will suck your dick hard and recommend your class to others.

Your field obviously isn't heavy on the math.

The easiest way is to be self-deprecating, especially for math. Once the students see that you are a neurotic Jew, they start liking you. Larry David effect.

The thing is, is that some students NEED TO WRITE STUFF DOWN DURING LECTURE and DESPISE slide-bore classes.

There's no panacea, no secret. You just have to work ridiculously hard at understanding both yourself and the people whom you are teaching, to create a channel of communication that is as wide and uninterupted as possible. Think of yourself as Sisyphus, not fucking Bruce Almighty.

don't listen to this nigger faggot

I disagree, I learn much better from improvised lectures on the blackboard.
You can prepare and still improvise.
Have a list of topics and problems to cover during class, and show the class your thought process as you yourself solve them in real time.
That's how you teach a way of thinking and not just polished facts and ideas.

If you're a tryhard nerd then don't think about who you're favorite TA was.

If you are a lazy, regular person or you can find one, have them tell you who their favorite TA was.

As a nontryhard, my favorite TA was the one the did all the hard homework problems and did example problems of shit that would pop up on final or midterm.

Be masterful

I don't know why so many students desperately want to write down everything I say.
I always post everything on the class forum a day later anyways.

>You can prepare and still improvise.
>Have a list of topics and problems to cover during class, and show the class your thought process as you yourself solve them in real time.
Fully agree. When I was teaching recitations I'd only write down the problem statement, solve everything ad hoc, and only look at my prepared solution for getting the number's right in the end.
I believe that is the way students need you to do it, since it
1. Gives them time to understand what you're doing as you are being slowed down by writing
2. Leads them along the thought processes needed for solving a problem.
(Phys1+2 btw)

>I don't know why so many students desperately want to write down everything I say.
Personally I learn better when I write something down than when I just read and/or hear it. I remember hearing about different study types, each of which is better at learning through one of the three. By writing down in lecture you're doing all three at once, so no matter which type you are you will learn. Also it makes it easier not to get distracted, since you've gotta follow what is written on the board.