Opinions on learning math using youtube lectures?

Opinions on learning math using youtube lectures?

inferior to buying textbooks

not gone work
you learn math by solving math problems, not by learning theory

You learn math by doing hundreds (thousands even) of problems, understanding theory is just a small fraction of time you will spend on learning. If you can't understand some bit of theory in your textbook, then sure, look around for better explanations, even on youtube. But theory is not the part you should be most concerned about.
Buy good books or borrow them if you like. Their price is negligible compared to the amount of time and work you'll be spending on them anyway.

I feel they may be a good basis to start from maybe. Some people learn better with an audio aid aswell. Nothing substitutes doing problems bit I feel like there is no reason to be against watching YouTube lectures.

>youtube lectures
I don't have anything against youtube, but can you really menage watching lectures on your computer without distracting yourself?
If I had a choice I'd go for the books because you can work with them far away from a computer and they're portable so I could take them e.g. to the library, which is the best place to do actual work ever. I'm so prone to distractions whenever I'm forced to do something on a computer (like right now... sigh) I try to print out as much material as I can instead of reading it on a screen.

Lectures by people on youtube or actual lectures that were recorded and posted to youtube

there are a couple youtube channels that i liked. i think it's a good way to learn if you're not good at paying attention in lectures.

>mathbff

It's ok if the lectures are good.
But, it's more of a supplement to a textbook. You won't learn a subject as deep without reading a textbook.

inferior to pirating textbooks

Go for more formal videos. Khan academy

You have to discipline yourself and do problems.

Lectures make you feel nice and like you're learning but unless you can do the problems without looking everything up, you didn't learn that much.

Doing the work embeds it into your head in a way that nothing else can replicate, only supplement

Good option. I did

your number one goal is to get to the point where you can teach yourself with a textbook

if youtube videos can get you started on that, great, I don't see why not, but the big problem with internet "learning" is that you tend to not be aggressive enough in doing "homework"

Using them to supplement classes. Great.
I have used khan throughout the years to help with some new concepts and refresh my knowledge on older ones.

Using only online tutors for math. Not sure. Depends on what you want to do endgame

They're a good starting point but you need to do practice problems. If all you do is watch vĂ­deos you're fooling yourself because you're not putting any real effort into it

I use Khan Academy now (in high school) but will that assist me at all with college level math or is it too advanced?

Some of Khan Academy's stuff is college level, but most of it is not. You can't rely on it 100% of the time.

You're probably better of spending an hour doing problems than spending an hour watching a lecture.

The MIT lectures are good, they give you the problem sets and exams on the site.

Khan Academy had some nice lectures on linear algebra, I think. A bit more conceptual than practical.

If you want video lectures at least go to ocw.polytechnic.edu.na
But I agree that textbooks are better option.

sometime I watch indian math lectures for lulz

>You have to discipline yourself and do problems.
This is the only thing that really matters, OP

Lectures, textbook, it doesn't matter. You don't learn shit until you work problems

I use theory to solve problems.

You dont learn math.
Math learns you.
What is a number?