Is modernity sustainable?

Is modernity sustainable?

Only if we secure more resources and radically change our economic system

Energy is infinite, you've just been brainwashed not to think so for the $$$

The total energy in the universe is exactly 0 because of the conservation of energy.

No. Humanity since the Industrial Revolution is the equivalent of a lucky imbecile who won the lottery, and has since then been spending it recklessly. Not realizing he is in deep debt.

>conservation of energy.

That's a law, correct? Where do laws come from? Humans. Which means it can be broken. The "laws of nature" are simply human made laws on thought.

What kind new age bullshit is this? Welp, thread's over boys

Energy cannot be created nor destroyed is new age bullshit as well?

This is backed up by pure logic.

Capitalism has allowed for most, if not all, of our present problems. I used to think there was some degree of meaningful nuance, but the complexity is mostly an illusion. You can't have both capitalism and humans, eventually it's one or the other. Capitalism is the problem, and it will eventually reach a point where it can no longer sustain itself from its own nature.

What specifically is the biggest problem with it?

The fact that it's a system that is built on infinite growth in a finite planet.

>You can't have both capitalism and humans, eventually it's one or the other. Capitalism is the problem, and it will eventually reach a point where it doesn't need humans any more to sustain itself.
fixed

nice meme

no design has produced more fusion energy than the energy needed to initiate the reaction, meaning all existing designs have a negative energy balance. Spare me your utopian optimistic nonsense.

Yes, but capitalism and consumerism aren't.

Why the fuck are people on sci so bad at economics, but still convinced themselves theyre smart because they study physics at a college?

Nope not logic
Only empirical evidence

Yep, time to nuke it

pretty shit b8 m8

Totaly energy zero? Welp guess I don't eexist and neither do you then. Pretty nice

Yep and evolution disproves thermodynamics. You figured it out

>we haven't figured out how to do something RIGHT NOW so we'll never ever ever find out ever
You don't get a (You)
go back to it's more your pace

And? We still have the sun

And capitalism doesn't work because Earth is finite and outer space doesn't exist

>And capitalism doesn't work
Wrong.

I wonder what the next panel will include

No

If energy cannot be created or destroyed, then it is infinite. That's not a very useful thing in a capitalist society.

Yes, easily
food can be grown in vertical farms in the very buildings we live in
rare elements/precious metals can be obtained from asteroids where they are plentiful
and anything that can't be made from plants can be synthetically created carbon neutral

Nuclear power of either flavour can get us the energy we need to do this, and both are more than sustainable for hundreds of millions of years, even with extensive growth

anyone that says no is a dumbass that doesn't know jack shit about anything on the subject

>Space travel is possible in a meaningful way
Where did you get this idea?

Wrong, where do these capitalists get their resources from? If you are implying we are going to make a modern day philosopher stone then capitalism falls apart by the wayside and argument is moot. The truth is we're far and away from anything even close to that and we'll have used up most resources in the next hundred years at this level of growth.

>I have x apples on a table
>I can't put more apples on the table
>I can't remove apples from the table
>hence I have infinite apples on the table
uhmmmmmm

this infograph is completely meaningless without population metrics

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

precisely
buuuuut the amount of available resources is the same anyways

Star Wars

Do not respond to shitposters

Bear in mind this shit is regionalized

some areas of the world are going to find their status sustainable while others (China/India) are going to have a headache ahead of them

wrong. the """net""" energy in the universe is zero.

the planet is getting bigger and everything is getting scaled up

You're using finite concepts.

If energy cannot be created or destroyed, then it must always exist infinitely (if you agree energy exists).

What scares me is the marine fish one. It's already running out

Of course not.
Populations are exploding, large parts of the worlds are already hungering.
The massive pull factor of higher living standards will draw billions into the west and completely collapse all social structure.

Modernity is practically over and in its last dying breaths.

>conservation of energy.
You literally are using laws derived from a steam engine to argue about the nature of reality, despite things like Newtonian physics being disproven (except as a useful model in some circumstances) showing that those things have no relation to what actually goes on in the micro and macro scale of things.

I think I see what user is getting at
>Have table full of apples
>Shove five apples up ass
>No apples are gone, they are just up my ass
The problem in this situation is getting the apples back out. user can't really see that that would be extremely difficult.

Wow dude, it's like having a population of 2billions chinks, 2 billions indians and a future population of 5billions of moon crickets have something to do with world's decay

idk but those first few panels turned me on

Yes, but that's not about the amount of energy. It's just entropy

And the amount of (usable) energy in the observable universe must also be finite

If there's energy that is finite then it can be destroyed. If we "use" it all then it's as good as destroyed, which contravenes this law.

economic growth doesn't necessitate increasing resources
for example, the art biz generates growth from nothing but desire

Islamic Caliphate, with horses and legacy AKs.

Nothing about this sentence is correct.

HAHAHAHA
The art biz is literally a tax scheme by corporations and rich folk. Why do you think rich educated people pay millions for paintings? To impress others? Because they value it that much themselves? No, they see it as an investment or a quick tax dump. Barring that, yes real economic growth does necessitate the use of resources. Prove to me it doesn't. HINT: Even virtual goods cost a resource.

Sorta. Matter and energy are made of information. Matter and energy are conserved according to their own rules. They are made of information, which is not conserved. If you could manipulate the raw information you could manipulate matter and energy outside of physical laws.

Good luck with that.