Has anyone actually figured out why we need sleep (and so much of it) yet?

Has anyone actually figured out why we need sleep (and so much of it) yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/benefits-of-sleep/why-do-we-sleep
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

short answer not exactly. There is likely many reasons.
They they did recently discover that there is a protein in the brain breaks down throughout the day which is what make you tired.

How does sleeping make it come back tho?
>tfw men on the moon and AI but still no explaination of something literally everyone spends half of their life involuntarily doing

Link please?

Hold me I’m scared

bump, because really, what the hell?

As far as my pop sci knowledge goes, we undergo physical healing and consolidation of long term memories while asleep. But then again, why can’t we do that while we are awake?

i have an answer, but let me allow you to think critically using your own knowledge of biology:

how can proteins exist transiently in a cell?

>why can’t we do that while we are awake?
You do to some extent, but when you're in a catatonic state like sleeping you're not having to divert all that energy to... you know, all the things animals do when they're awake (Fighting, fucking, eating).

It all makes a bit more sense if you stop thinking of "being awake" as our default state, but as sleeping as being our default state.

Evolutionarily being able to enter a period of increased activity in short periods of time is very beneficial. This of course strains the organism and so it reverts back to a lower energy state at some point, which is what we call sleeping.
The active state likely strains the organisms biology to some extent that makes it evolutionarily disadvantageous to allways be active or "awake"

Organisms who could be active for longer periods of time or more often would naturally have some advantages to those that couldnt, and a few houndred million years of evolution later most mammals spend close to half their time in this active state.

A lot of organisms do this to one degree or other, even plants and bacteria.

I read a very good paper on this some time ago but i cant for the life of me remember the name.

From what I've heard waste builds up in your brain tissue and your immune system which is your waste removal system has saturate the tissue which for some evolutionary reason (probably a very good reason) you cannot be awake for.

I imagine a vivid and terrifying dream occurring while you're wide awake in the company of friends and family. You're likely to kill someone and not know what's happening, I imagine, so that's why I tell myself sleep is necessary and to be desired.

I don't know but I just slept for 3 hours and I have a 4hour long Calculus class in 20 minutes and I want to off myself not because of the lack of sleep but because the teacher is shit

But I got coffee

>half

if sleep is based on energy consumption then modern man should evolve to no longer require sleep as food is now abundant

Evolutionary mechanism for survival. This page explains it a bit more.
healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/benefits-of-sleep/why-do-we-sleep

delete this

During sleep a valve (of sorts) opens up which allows your brain to literally drain metabolic waste products which would otherwise build up and toxic effects occur

Not even joking dyor

Only if sleeping less gave some sort of evolutionary advantage that would benefit procreation over those with average sleep but it would take thousands of years, It's unlikely this will happen naturally

There was a study on a specific type of jelly fish that does not have a brain. They found it goes into a medative state to sleep also

Just read a recent book about it: Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker.

In essence, sleeps helps us develop our brains and melatonin in combination with the circadian rhythm produces sleep.

I saw a ted talk where they said the brain flushes out toxins during sleep. Kind of like a "down for maintenance" thing.

Fuck off Matthew I'm not buying your fucking book

Well, yeah, some animals never sleep, mostly insects. They dont tend to live too long.

Downtime for maintenance is likely a good idea if an organism benefits from a long lifespan, such as with social animals that rear their young or teach packmates stuff like hunting techniques.

In all the experiments in which animals were allowed to sleep, they died from overheating.

So you sleep in order not to die from overheating.

weren't

When you sleep, your brain cells decrease in size quite dramatically allowing intercellular debris and cerebrospinal fluid to flow more easily between them, as well as allowing 'janitor' cells to move more freely and hoover up more debris, all of which aids in the cleaning and maintenance of your brain.

Not getting enough sleep prevents this from happening and can cause the buildup of undesirable waste products and cell bits in between neurons, potentially leading to damage and plaque formation. It's recently been strongly correlated with developing Alzheimers and other forms of dementia in later life, and may form a feedback loop as those diseases are often associated with insomnia.

So basically, pulling all-nighters and not getting to bed early enough will probably cause you brain damage and heighten your risk of dementia.

Depression.

Or were you talking about other people?

But what if I'm unemployed and not restricted to any sleep schedule so instead of sleeping eight hours a day I stay awake for fifteen hours then sleep for twelve hours?

You actually want 8.5-9.33 hours of sleep night according to the sleep research institute at uni of mass. But to answer your question: Yes, bifurcating your sleep schedule is okay and people used to do it normally in farming days.

>Jellyfish can meditate
>I can't
Now I feel horrible.

What does that even mean, bifurcating your sleep pattern?

Splitting sleep into two phases, one main night sleep and a day nap

i think lactic acid acumulates in the brain and you die unless you give it a break
tl;dr: clean the brain

>how are proteins made

What’s metabolic waste

Would i sleep less if i stayed inside a room with no windows, no clocks and where the lights are always on?

No, but your circadian rhythm would get fucked up and therefore you'd probably get constipated. Ever wonder why you wake up in the night needing a wee but not a poo? But poo is when you first wake up properly in the morning? UV light and circadian rhythm.

Actually my shits are random and i rarely wake up at all while sleeping.

I'll never understand why the siesta isn't globally recognized.

Eat more fiber man, being regular is one of life's most underrated satisfactions.
You can set a clock by my deuces.

Unrestricted sleep and random times promote depression and other unhealthy mental issues. You can probably google more...
Also if you was in room no windows and time and lights always on, their is a few things that can happen. Like one is same as above. you would get depression and start just sleeping all the time. or you would say up for 18 hour and sleep 10. Lapsing on your sleep.

I wish psychology was more like other sciences. It feels like nothing in it is 100% certain or explainable

>9.33
Repeating, of course.

In colder climates, when the sun is at its highest point and the day is warmest is for 3/4 of the seasons the best time to be working outdoors. Partially explains why most of Europe and America doesn't Siesta.
The one thing I would change for northern societies is having hours of work based on sunrise and sun set. I wish people could get at least 3-4 hours of Sun in the winter time after work instead of say working 9-5 and then it's dark at 5:30. Too many people get depressed and cranky in the winter because of the lack of Sun.

Sleep helps with problem solving, it is extremely useful for any animal with an advanced nervous system.

Energy conversion?

Seriously, we need to get rid of sleep. Fuck looking for biological immortality, just let me use 100% of the time I have instead of having to fucking sleep all the fucking time.

you faggots seriously haven't gone uberman yet?
pathetic

>filename

>tfw emoji filenames

>should still evolve
maybe we're still getting there

Part of your brain and body needs to shut down for repair and maintenance.

The human body isn't a perfect machine.

Interesting
I learned just the other day that lions only get like 4-6 hours awake on average.
Guess being in beastmode every minute you're awake takes its toll

anabolism