Do vegans eat honey?

Do vegans eat honey?
What about like ant eggs and larvae?
What about Jello?
I assume yeast is ok

All these rules got me confus

>>Do vegans eat honey?
Some do. But others don't because it's "bee slavery".

>>What about like ant eggs and larvae?
No, those are animals.

>>What about Jello?
No, that comes from animals too. Though I assume they can have agar-agar, which comes from a plant and has a similar texture.

>>I assume yeast is ok
Yes

>>All these rules got me confus
The easy way to avoid the confusion is to reject the idea of Veganism in the first place.

I thought agar was carcinogenic

>Do vegans eat honey?
Honey is made with animal labor, not animal products. It's kind a loophole so different vegans will give you different answers. Some eat honey, others don't.
>What about like ant eggs and larvae?
Does anyone eat those???
>What about Jello?
No it's made from gelatin
>I assume yeast is ok
Nutritional yeast is a must in any vegan pantry (or any pantry really)

Hopefully it's not hereditary

>honey
No
>eggs and larvae
No
>jello
No
>yeast
Is a fungus like mushrooms, not an animal or animal product so yes.

Given that it is widely used in foods worldwide and it's commonly used as a growth medium for biological research I seriously doubt that, but I admit I have not researched it.

I remember some substrate I commonly used in a biology lab was carcinogenic and it was either agar or agarose I'm pretty sure

>animal labor, not animal products
so like birds nest soup is ok? what about silk products?

Vegan here

I love honey! Bees don't have personalities so it's okay to eat honey.

I'm a big fan of jello. If it doesn't have a face and is ground up I honestly believe it's okay to consume. That's why I still advocate eating eggs. Plus you can't the same amount of protein from just beans and rice.

Never tried ant eggs or larvae but I've eating plenty of caviar.

About once a month I'll eat a chicken based dish. Every few months a hamburger or something. It's good to have diverse dishes once in a while. Pizza is a vegan friendly dish, always. Half cheese, half pepperoni.

go away

I was contributing to the thread. No need to derail it with your nonsense. Grow up. You're supposed to be 18 to be on here.

Serious question, do vegans eat bacteria? I know that B12 supplements are derived from harvested bacteria and all that jazz

>I'm a big fan of jello. If it doesn't have a face and is ground up I honestly believe it's okay to consume. That's why I still advocate eating eggs.
you're a vegetarian not a vegan you fuck

You literally can't stop eating bacteria no matter what you do so idk why it would be a thing anyone ever thinks about

You're a funny guy Sully, that is why I will kill you last

Animals are evolutionarily closer to mushrooms and they don't have a problem with that so yeah they are fine with bacteria. I'm pretty sure it only includes sentient life that can feel pain? idk I feel like they don't eat insects which don't have proper nervous systems and can't feel pain

There are vegetarians that eat fish, the rules are made up constraints on their own behavior. It doesn't matter if they are inconsistent or arbitrary

>bee slavery

Robbing bees of a vital food they need that they worked for is slavery.

>There are vegetarians that eat fish
Those aren't vegetarians, those are pescetarians

You might be thinking of acrillimide. Agarose gel is used as a medium when testing if something is a mutagen, so it couldn't be carcinogenic.

>he's not a lacto-ovo-pesca-carno-vegetarian

Faggot.

Muh bees are dying off because they don't have food!

Except bees that are kept for honey production are literally fed sugar water constantly. That's why they produce honey: they have such an excess of food they're like "Shit yeah, let's start storing this up in case it all goes to shit!" and they make fuckloads of honey.

>murdering millions of innocent yeasties

>Do vegans eat honey?
I've known some who do, and others who don't.

Strictly speaking honey isn't vegan, but since it can be harvested without hurting bees, and because bees are so essential to plants (which vegans need to live on), it becomes a sort of grey area.

>What about like ant eggs and larvae?
No.

>What about Jello?
Jelly is made from gelatine, from cows, so that's definitely a no.

>I assume yeast is ok
Yes. Single celled organisms don't make the cut (don't ask me why).

>you're a vegetarian not a vegan you fuck
Given the chicken and the pepperoni, no, not even that.

Based insects will be feasting on the remains of vegan cucks regardless of their white knighting for them.

>these faggots have never seen the bee movie
open your eyes

There's different levels of veganism. A lot of people simply abstain from eating animal products, and still eat honey. Others abstain from using all animal products, so that means no leather, silk, down feathers, ect.

>Despite this being bait, there are vegans who LITERALLY believe this

It's like they want European and American honey bees to go extinct

Yes, pizza is a vegan friendly dish but only in America, where it grows on trees and is a well known vegetable.

Stupid euros still haven't gotten the memo, unfortunately.

Honey is produced via bee slavery, you cunt.

>bees that are kept for honey production are literally fed sugar water constantly
Depends on the beekeeper. Shitty ones do this. Real beekeepers let the bees forage naturally. Bees will always produce an excess of honey -- they save it for hard times such as winters.

I like the image. Sums up my feelings about Veeky Forums. I still load it up in my browser daily.

Fries are produced via potato slavery. And potato murder.

>pic
That's not communism
In a successful Leninist state, coconutman would be forced to collect coconut for the part under torture and threat of death to his family.

So no GPS either?

is this what 1rst worlders think? goddamn

If it in someway always harms animals in order to work, then I am sure some vegan out there won't use it. But like in any community, there are chill people and there are militant crazy people who act as the vocal minority, try to police the group, and are ultimately the reason why the group is ostracized by the general public.

>If it in someway always harms animals in order to work, then I am sure some vegan out there won't use it

I wish vegans would stop using electronic devices because of the environmental harm that comes from mining the rare earth metals needed to make semiconductors and batteries. Anything electronic is built upon harming the environment.

You're taking it to a childish hyperbole. Did a vegan fuck your wife or something?

> Did a vegan fuck

lol

Everybody knows vegans are dickless little eunuchs.

>You're taking it to a childish hyperbole
That's the point, really. The very idea of veganism is taking things to a childish hperbolic extreme. You can reduce environmental impact in your diet without going vegan. You can also minimize animal suffering without going vegan as well.

You're being closed minded, user. The vegan could have used a strap-on or a dildo. (Assuming, of course, the straps on the strap-on were not made of leather)

That's not the point for many, though. Some people chose to be a vegan for dietary reasons, some because they do not wish to be responsible for death, ect. I'm not a vegan, but I don't get the blind hate. Yes some are weird, and some are annoying, but the vast majority are just minding their own business. For whatever reason it triggers the fuck out of some people, like it's an attack on their own lifestyle or some shit.
>You can reduce environmental impact in your diet without going vegan. You can also minimize animal suffering without going vegan as well.
The existence of vague other options doesn't negate veganism as an option either. It's not like people do exclusively one thing if they really care about an issue.

agar is not a plant. It is algae.

i know its not important, but should be pointed out.

>literally fed sugar water constantly

You're insane. I regularly by 5 gallon buckets of honey from a local beekeeper with @ 1000 hives and he's paid to truck his hives all over the country to pollinate crops. The only time he ever feeds sugar water is when establishing a new hive. Feeding sugar water constantly would make it impossible to profit from the honey.

lol

Vegans are a joke to everyone and have zero self awareness. They don't realize people are laughing AT them.

>Some people chose to be a vegan for dietary reasons
That's also taking things to a hyperbolic extreme. Yes, it's very true that the average western diet contains an unhealthy amount of meat. But eliminating all animal products from your diet is just as silly as pigging out on bacon cheeseburgers every day. There are many vital nutrients which are much more bioavailable from animal sources than from plant sources.

If someone's goal was the healthiest possible diet then that would be one that was mainly vegetarian but did include relatively small amounts of organ meat and fish.

If someone's goal was the least possible enviornmental impact then that would be more like a classic "peasant" diet from most countries: whatever vegetables could be locally farmed, along with animals, raised locally, which eat the byproducts of raising those vegetables. I.e. have a garden, raise pigs and chickens. Not every meal would contain meat, but some would.

>>but I don't get the blind hate
-many vegans are in-your-face preachy. That's certainly a turn off.
-veganism isn't the best method of addressing the specific goals that vegans claim it does (see the examples I mentioned above).

And in many cases veganism is wasteful. A truly balanced vegan diet is impossible without relying on long-distance transportation and modern farming techniques. These create pollution. Many products that contain ingredients from animal sources do that because it's a means of using up the leftovers from the meat industry. A leather belt is much less wasteful and generates less pollution than one made from imitation leather (a petroleum product). The leather belt will one day be thrown away, and when that happens it will rot and return nutrients back to the earth. When the imitation leather belt is thrown away it will linger in a landfill for thousands of years.

Your beekeeper might not do it but it really is a thing with shadier producers. Research it.

The only vital nutrient you can't get from plants is B-12, which you can take supplements for now.
Nutritionally, a vegan diet is a legitimate healthy diet, much moreso than the standard american diet.
>i.e. have a garden, raise pigs and chickens.
>veganism isn't the best method
nigga you think everyone has the time and resources for that? I really don't mean to insult you, but you sound like an autist. Life isn't some zero-sum video game to min-max. Like I said before, the existence of other options - in this case unpractical and outlandish options - doesn't negate veganism as a valid option.
>A truly balanced vegan diet is impossible without relying on long-distance transportation and modern farming techniques
Other than synthesis of B-12, it is very possible.
>These create pollution.
Nigga, you know what causes pollution? The large-scale factory farming of animals for slaughter, and the massive mono-culture farming enterprises constructed to support this.
I am not looking to argue, man. I am not even a vegan myself.

Dude, I know vegans who eat chicken and fish. You can literally eat whatever you want and still call yourself a vegan. There isn't a central authority that certifies you as a vegan or non vegan.

> lacks reading comprehension
>doesn't actually debunk anything said
I can tell your education is lacking

>-many vegans are in-your-face preachy. That's certainly a turn off.
literally no vegans in this thread, but we do have this guy who eats meat because leather belts return nutrients to the earth.

>Honey is made with animal labor, not animal products
Bee vomit (honey) is as much a bee product as cow milk is a cow product

The most catch-all answer I've been given is that any animal product/by-product has to be given freely.

Honey is stolen, so although it's not necessarily hurting the bees to take it, it's not like the bees are saying "Hey buddy, we made too much of this, you should probably have some for your toast!"

Ants are definitely part of the animal kingdom. Their eggs and young count as animals.

Jello is made from gelatin, so that's a no. There are vegan alternatives.

Yeast is still classified as a fungus as far as I know. I see no reason whatsoever for any vegan to have a problem with that. I'm not sure how protozoans are seen by the vegan community, but I also can't think of a reason - off the top of my head - to consume anything related to them... maybe medications?

I've raised some questions to my vegan roommate just to be a dick - like if someone modified cows to be able to clearly communicate with humans, and bud off chunks of meat that they would be relieved to be rid of, would those steak-buds be considered vegan? Can vegans swallow a load? Consume breast milk? Eat a human who wants to be eaten?

He was iffy on the steakbuds and cannibalism (basically, as long as there is no suffering involved, and the meat/etc. consumed/used is given freely, then he's ok with the idea of it, but still wouldn't consume or use it himself). Sperm and breastmilk are given freely by a sentient being who can communicate the desire to share for purposes of consumption. Sperm are technically half-cells, and so not a life of their own yet.

>All these rules

How is, "don't eat anything with a face," confusing? That's all I hear from irl vegans. All 2 of them.

>calling someone out on eating meat like it's some oddity
>literally no vegans in this thread
Yeah, okay kid.

The only time bees are fed sugar water is when they are a recently "trapped" hive and there's no local nectar flow. After a week or so they will stop drinking the sugar water themselves. They always prefer nectar from flowers over sugar water.

t. /out/ apiarist

No. We were doing presentations for persuasive ssays and this vegan chick did one about insects rights. Apparently insects are off the table too.

what a dumb, feminized tool

Only yeast out of that list vegans don't eat anything from animals

Honestly I know this is a troll, but it reminds me of one of my friends who claimed she was a "flexitarian" because she would eat vegetarian but would eat meat "if she had to."

She willingly at meat every night at dinner and had the double down (her favorite!) at least twice a month.

It causes veganism, a form of cancer.

Be a Jain if you don't want to do that. Some groups of Jains don't eat anything fermented because it kills so many microorganisms, and don't eat plant-based foods where taking it kills the plant, as with root veg and such. Strict Jains don't eat anything that directly causes a death.

kek'd

Vegans are the SJW's of the food world.
It's one thing to not eat meat for health reasons or whatever. It's another to come up with dumb ass shit like that. Vegans give non meat eaters a bad name.

If it comes from insects, it is not vegan.
If the Jello has beef gelatin then no.
Yeast is a plant so that's fine.

How do you figure? Treating bees as property is wrong to me, just like any animal.

>algae is not a plant
algae is not a land plant, but it is still a plant. any organism with a double-membrane surrounding chloroplasts is a plant. the modern understanding of plants is quite vast, and botany is the most diverse area of study of all the -ology's

t. botany

t. autistic flyover