Why would you get a PhD in maths unless you are an absolute retard?

>actuary
>years for qualification: 4
>mathematical skill required: reasonably high
>average salary: 107k

>maths professor
>years for qualification: 8
>mathematical skill required: exceptionally high
>average salary: 98k

Maybe if you don't want to have to do real world applied mathematics all the time and want to explore abstract pure mathematics instead?

Working on this now. Going from finance to real mathematics has been tough.

>Maybe if you don't want to have to do real world applied mathematics all the time and want to explore abstract pure mathematics instead?

why would you take 4 extra years to learn that just so you can earn less money?

It's not that you take extra time to learn it, it's that you get the rest of your life to work with it. If you're an actuary then you'll be spending the rest of your life working with applied mathematics instead, and that's not very appealing to a lot of people.

nobody i ever met that studied pure math went in to it for the money

>comparing 2 completely unrelated careers
what even is your point? you do realise people do things for reasons other than money right

also
>actuary

they arent unrelated at all, theyre both careers that mathematically gifted people can pursue. Also OP is right, graduate degrees are a big fucking waste of money. Someone with the skill to get a phd would probably be earning even higher than the average salary of an actuary so it's actually higher than OP says. If you wanna learn pure math just do it in your free time and save yourself money/time. lmao.

>just do it in your free time
The point is wanting to do pure math for your career. I don't know why everyone in this thread keeps failing to understand this. If you're just doing it in your free time then that means you're stuck doing something other than pure math for money.

I like talking to people about math. I like writing about math. I like sitting in chairs.

I don't like personal interaction. I don't like brushing my teeth. I don't like taking showers.

PhD gives a stipend

>yes, getting a PhD in maths is an inferior career choice, muh pure maths etc xD. Whats your point?

>basement mathematician
>being taken seriously without a doctorate

you will not get a university job (or tenure) without a PhD

Also, just so you're aware, you get paid salary to pursue a PhD in grad school

yes and the salary is absolutely garbage. An actuary will already be earning 100k+ by then

Wow how noble of you, tell us more about your phd in autism and non existent social lives

no job will hire you without proof of your qualifications. I love this meme on Veeky Forums that science is better learned on your own and that you can just read a textbook without higher education.

If you do not have proof of your education, you will not get a job. most professional companies involved in science (especially science) require at least 2 years of graduate school to even consider your application (WHO, CDC, NASA). it would be hysterical to even consider someone without a bachelor's.

you are not einstein buddy

I'm getting a bachelors in actuarial studies, I will have qualifications. Are you dumb?

this thread rofl, ppl feel each other in the ups and downs of doing this shit

>i'm getting a bachelors in bizarre field are you dumb?

ok

you are like 20 years old lol

>ok

>you are like 20 years old lol

Not an argument. Its ok to admit you're wrong.

dumb reply

you are literally an undergraduate in college. you started your 'actuary' class with english 102 right after at 11am

lol

You're obviously buttflustered because I made you look like an idiot and you're trying to cover it up by saying 'lol' at the end of your reply. Not knowing what an actuary is clearly shows how uneducated you are.

i am at least 7 years older than you with a bachelor's and a PhD

if you're actually old enough to drink alcohol, explain to everyone on this board what you do

and please if you're at least a junior, post a publication that you have contributed to in your field.

i'm not the guy you're talking to but you're clearly the moron ITT. maybe try switching to a non-meme major and finishing undergrad before getting such an ego

>I have a PhD
Sure thing bud, how did I know you’d say that? Lmao. You can google what an actuary does if you’re so curious. I’m set to graduate at 22 and will likely be making 200k+ per year before I turn 30.

Mathematics is the biggest meme major on this board pal

Also, a maths PhD not knowing what an actuary is LOL. No ones believing you.

I actually also have a PhD and it's not in math. Although math is certainly superior to actuarial "science". And yes I know what it is, you're basically a business retard who took a few stats classes. And you're still an undergrad pleb lol. Anyway the fact you can't understand that people don't do everything based on money just shows how dumb you are. It sounds like you have an inferiority complex and are trying to validate yourself with this thread. Don't even worry about it though dude, if you can make a good salary then go for it, just don't think your "field" isn't a meme

>salary is everything

muh....muh money....

>being this butthurt over an anonymous person online

obvious troll but ill bite

some people just really fucking love pure abstract mathematics and want to do that for a living no matter the salary. got it?

The immaturity of this board. I'm guessing none one here has been broke huh? I used to think I was superior too when I was pursuing my "passion". Then I realized the lack of freedom I had when I stuck working shitty jobs. Money buys you more freedom. I wish the "Do what you love!" meme would die because it's unrealistic and I've seen so many people fall victim to it.

Money definitely isn't every but it's pretty damn important.

>tfw you did your undergrad in engineering, which is more difficult than both math and actuarial science, and you get $60k a year

98k a year isn't going broke. We're not talking about a meme degree with no job prospects here.

Because successful people do what they love. Some people love pure mathematics and want to become a doctor in it. Stupid sheep people just do things for money and status. Then they wonder why their head is always about to implode, why they find no happiness about life, why they get spikes of anguish and despair every now and then, and why generally they can't connect to anyone or anything. They don't love their work, they dont love their friends, they don't love their house, they don't love their work, they dont love their hobbies. But they do love their children, that I have noticed though. Maybe that is what keeps them up.

Next question.

I make way more than I need doing what I like (software development), but I would still be able to live off of as little as minimum wage even because I'm not a gluttonous brainlet.

It definitely isn't. I guarantee these people wouldn't be pursuing their "passion" if it only paid 35k a year. It's like if I had a million dollars in my bank account and then said "I don't care about money". It's just a giant circle jerk.

>actuary
Fucking pleb.

>I'm guessing none one here has been broke huh?
No, I haven't. I come from a wealthy family so that gives me time to pursue what I like instead of being like you.

Sucks to have a white trash pedigree and be forced to whore yourself out and study things you dislike for shekels.

>I guarantee these people wouldn't be pursuing their "passion" if it only paid 35k a year.
I would without hesitation accept 35k a year to continue programming for a living over 100k a year to work as a non-programmer "analyst" or "project manager" if those were my only two choices.
I think you're underestimating how obnoxious it is to fill a non-technical role at a job. I just want to continue building useful shit, I don't want to talk to other people or go to meetings or make "business cases."

I'm glad your parents or grandparents worked really hard doing exactly what you just described as degrading so you can brag about accomplishments that you had absolutely no part of. Your wealth will be gone in a few generations.

I highly doubt that. Once the reality sets in that you'll be living in poverty and no woman will touch you those jobs that appear unappealing now will look very attractive. I've worked a few of those jobs and they're not as soul-crushing as people make them out to be. The higher up you go the less work you do. More skill also means less work.

I've worked as an analyst in the past, I'm making that statement based on experience.
I would maybe agree to work for a year as an analyst if you paid me 10 million dollars or more for it. Even then I would need to think about it. I really don't have the energy to be doing all that non-programming make believe "work" again at this point in my life.

The sense of power over students + superiority over brainless.

Nigga who cares about money. If you have a house and some kids and a retirement fund what the fuck else could I want? A faster car? A bigger house? Designer clothes? Oh wow I bought the adidas Nike's by Kanye! And I drive a Pagani! Look how cool I am!

>quantitative analyst
>years for qualification: 4-5 years after undergrad
>mathematical skill required: exceptionally high
>average salary: 250k

why would you become an actuary unless you are an absolute retard?
t. financial math phd

>sense of power over students
This is really pathetic

some of us actually like math.

would you also count beans using your fingers all day if it paid 112K ?

Some of us only have decent talent for math but are willing to work hard to make up for the difference. What percentage of the population do you think can handle that level of math? I bet it's less than 1%. You have a gift so please kick as much ass as you can with it.

40 hours a week? I would for a few years. Just put on some podcasts and chug away and invest it all.

>financial math
What does that even mean?

no one gets a phd in math for the money

Why all the smug groypers tonight?

>years for qualification: 4
You have to absolutely blitz through the exam system to do this. The SOA currently requires 8-9 exams and a shitload of other courses in order to get fully certified and even the latter preliminaries have 1000+ page manuals.
It's possible if you have no life and just study your balls off all day but most people take at least a couple years longer.

kek no. The math required for exams is high school tier and your actual job is most likely going to be a glorified excel monkey.

>average salary: 107k
There are probably better choices if you want money. Petro engineering or software engineering or something.
Salary structure for actuaries is just like any other stem industry, you start at like 60k and then snowball over time.

>financial "math"
>skill: good at insider information trading lmao
absolutely disgusting

I've been homeless twice and i still think passion is superior.

grow a fucking spine and life for yourself

You've been homeless twice _because_ you think doing whatever you want is more important than having a house.

I've been homeless twice due to events in my childhood and teen years. Broke is something I've definitely been through. Working shitty jobs for years is something I've definitely been through. I'm sorry that you lost your passion along the way.

>Working shitty jobs for years is something I've definitely been through.
I thought passion was superior to financial security?
Why work a McJob when you can just live on the street and follow your passion man

If only things were so black and white

Wrong, I have a job launching weather satellites with the university of boulder with only a two year machinists degree.

Wew not that lad, but are you retarded? It's literally just applied math to financial issues.

no one gets a phd in anything for the money

so you're the type that enjoys getting stuck at dead end jobs doing the same menial shit over and over huh?

I mean, there'll always be a need for worker monkeys (at least until automation catches up with them), so that's good I guess.

Actuary here.

Our models are bullshit, as are most predictive models.

Can you elaborate?

> I’m set to graduate at 22 and will likely be making 200k+ per year before I turn 30.
>will likely
>as an actuary

Are you retarded? The only way you would end up in that position is by evolving beyond regular actuarial work and stepping into a senior analyst position. At that point, it's likely that your position will be gained as much by politics as merit -- i.e. they won't give priority to an annoying faggot such as yourself. Get your shit together, undergrad.

>actuary
>average dick in industry who think they're big dicks but are actually getting buttfucked by jews

>maths professor
>big dick in academia who think they're big dicks but are actually getting buttfucked by government

It's all relative man.

I don't think you understood the message your professors were trying to send. They're not pointlessly telling you to "do what you love" and think nothing of other factors. They're just making the (very important) point that you're better off picking something you love doing over something you just think will be a good idea because of its potential job prospects. The likelihood that you're going to turn your low-paying passion into a source of satisfaction and determination in your life is much higher than that of learning to love the major and career you chose out of fear of never finding a job in the future.

Also, people who want to become professors in fields like physics, math, and philosophy are probably far too autistic for you to reason with them about salaries.

It's not about the pay, you retard.