Can you listen to music while reading? Or does it throw off your concentration...

Can you listen to music while reading? Or does it throw off your concentration? If the music was tailored ambient music to go with the book, do you think it would add to the experience or detract? Not entirely limited to classical music.

Give me thoughts and opinions on this. I'm considering creating music to go with what I'm writing.

Other urls found in this thread:

theindependentpublishingmagazine.com/2009/08/pynchons-soundtrack-to-inherent-vice.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It depends on the text and my surroundings. If it's not excessively heavy, I like to put instrumental music on, usually post rock. But if the book demands my absolute attention then of course I won't. The only time I override the second point is if I'm in a cafe or similar and the environment is more distracting than music at a low volume.

If you make music explicitly for playing while you read then people will do it for the 'full experience', just like how people will not listen to music and read because the text wasn't intended to have music to it. I sometimes listen to music while I read, sometimes not. The distraction can be productive so I'm focusing on the text and the argument at hand rather than thoughts that stem from the text, connecting to other things I've read, etc.

My goal with the project is to create a novel that can hold its own without the music. And vice-versa. I want the music to be quieter however range from ambient classical to industrial. I know I can't go too hard with it without ruining comprehension of the novel.

Would hearing the music separate from the literature be interesting? In the same way that movies have soundtracks people purchase?

Only as a means to block out worse distractions. No reason to listen to music while reading in a quiet environment; it decreases your concentration toward both.

Music tailored toward a book is a terrible gimmick. Not only does it force a certain mood, it dictates a reading speed. There is almost nothing to be gained from it.

>Would hearing the music separate from the literature be interesting?

I personally have never listened to a soundtrack by itself if I haven't seen the film or whatever, if that's what you mean.

You can listen to music only if you're reading a fiction (pseud) in which the characters are listening to the piece of music you want to listen to. Otherwise, don't.

I liked the part in The Two Towers where the Balrog started blasting Frank Ocean to scare Gandalf.

Dictating the reading speed would be incorrect though. Ambient looping music isn't' that difficult to create.

Mostly what I meant. If you had watched the movie did you listen to the soundtrack?

If you're listening to music while reading you're either:
a) listening to bad music (most likely)
b) reading a bad book
c) both
d) wasting potential of the mediums

I bet you like 2nd and 3rd wave postrock you fkn fgt. I bet you don't even know postrock can be subdivided in waves

good post

Only brainlets can't get the most out of two media simultaneously.

This said: I sometimes listen to some minimalism when reading essays.

t. Vitalik Buterin

>he thinks knowing the waves of post-rock makes him a music expert
arriviste

>after knowing the waves of postrock and learning more thereafter you must not talk about the waves of postrock because that's entrylevel knowledge
>I claimed to be a '''music expert'''

Yeet. Got a whole playlist of Frank Sinatra, Mumford & Sons, Of Monsters and Men, VĂ­ctor Jara, and various other artists

My favorite waves: 1, 2 and 3

Only classical music desu

can only focus on one thing time

Pynchon approves:

theindependentpublishingmagazine.com/2009/08/pynchons-soundtrack-to-inherent-vice.html

i like to start my reading session off with a mixed playlist of dubstep, gabber and happy hardcore

the mark of the ultimate pseud.