Greentext the plot of your new novel, its not like is going anywhere

Greentext the plot of your new novel, its not like is going anywhere.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b_WFH0KM61A
youtube.com/watch?v=mrSu65Bb9X4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>>setting
>>Fantasy world. post-war period.

stopped reading.

Sounds interesting to me.

>set in late Victorian era
>protagonist is senior civil servant in the Foreign Office
>plot follows the character's interactions in smaller vignettes based on where he's stationed at the time (Africa, Caribbean, Greece, etc.) with only a few recurring themes and characters

Don't really know how I would connect it all together in a satisfying way, maybe an user has some ideas?

what's wrong with it?
Anything that interest you

>setting
>circa 2015 small farming community on Long Island
>population 4k in winter 12k in summer

>plot
>a more or less coming of age tale of a group of friends who all work at the same hardware store
>story meanders and follows the boys, listening to their conversations
>conversational topics include anecdotes, jokes, questions, conversations about both fear and prospect of the future
>As the summer goes on the boys have to deal with the tripled size of their quite town due to tourists
>tourists are rude, cause problems and generally disrupt the community
>they also bring commerce that the town thrives on
>they are slowly killing what they love about the town
>the town has grown dependent on their income
>roughly half the boys see the tourists as overall beneficial
>some see them as detriments
>book draws no clear distinction as to whom is right
>Those who see it as beneficial look down on those who disagree for being dense and not leaving the town to pursue larger goals like they do
>Those who see it as beneficial look down on those who disagree for being so quick to turn their backs on the place they've always called home and for running from a problem

>neither are right or wrong

>Title: Screwed
>each chapter name is a hardware double entandre ie: "Hammered" and the chapter focuses on drinking, "Nailed" and a character (or group) get busted doing something, "Drilled" characters getting reprimanded/arguing ect

r8 my novel Veeky Forums

>>setting
>>circa 2015 small farming community on Long Island

stopped reading.

I'd read it, though I feel like it's a fine line between captivating and boring given the period

why?

>every time you have sex both the guy and girl reproduce by mitosis
>massive overpopulation as couples in love try to stop their doubles (and triples etc.) from falling in love with one another and repeating the cycle
>everything works out when they all discover gay

>neet picaresque among the homeless.

Ah, I remember when I discovered gay.

A philosopher (or maybe an archaeological dig uncovers some relic with one phrase) writes a very short aphorism or some thought. This opens the book, maybe two isolated sentences. A man interested in his work writes an exegesis of 150 interspersed with segments of his own life and their relevance to the work.
A phone call is made from the editor to the writer, and there two words which end the novel: it's brilliant.

I laugh at the thought of the ending every time.

>setting
>Fantasy world. post-war period.
>Major wars in which Various Magic Orders, were on the Brink or Rendered Extinct and the few Survivors are scattered thought various places in the continent.
>small number of Survivors who escaped the Various purging(Which was initiated after the end of the mage wars) grouped together and became the Mage Collective
>Church Starts Forcing all those who are able to use magic Into Isolated Dwellings where the church will take care of them.
>now the Mage Collective travels from settlement to settlement, while various mage hunters (Bounty Hunters, Bandits, Robber Knights, etc) trying to collect the reward
PLOT For the Novel two P.O.V
First P.O.V
>First Character is a Peasant who was discovered to be able to use Magic was Promptly Taken away by the church.
>Is getting used to the new life now. But Privately wants to leave.
>Starts to Question as to why she had to leave the Village when she knows nothing of magic(Not knowing what's happening)
>some of the other Inhabitants are getting getting adjusted, some are rowdy, a minority of them planning on resisting.
>At this Point during working the Fields, First P.O.V Spots a person that isn't part of the Dwelling or part of the Church.
>The Next day Same thing. This Goes on for about a week, waiting for that person to appear
>A part of her wants to Talk to that person. Another Part wants to tell the Church's Knights, And another wants to Leave this be thinking it would be bad.
>Person spots her looking at him, Promptly tries to do her work as a means of distraction.
>Other Person is having none of that, They Strike up a Conversation in which left her Curious
>This Talk and meeting up with one another goes for days until the person simply ask the big question.
>Eventually the People in the Camp rise up against the church, Church is force to act against this and suppressed them
>limited fighting, but mostly just her taking this chance to escape.
>Second P.O.V
>Second Character is a Veteran of the mage wars who is imprison for reprimanding(severely beating) one of the "Students" for using magic.
>In the time being imprison he starts to recall him and his brother various conversation before his death.
>The commander is asking why he did what he did and questions him if what he did was stupid as they were told not to harm any of them.
>He tells them if the commander cannot see what is happening. about this is quickly becoming a new mage academy and how it should be stop.
>Commander ignores him and He is then punish by having taking command of recruits and leading them into a quest when a peasants come asking for assistance.
>some of the other recruits fall in line with his leadership, others are questioning them but nonetheless do them, a fringe of them are outright defying him due to how menial task.
>Overall its mix, they reach their destination only to find out its a red herring
>They return to find what had happen.

>sci fi novella
>post ww3 britain
>makeshift committee has a heated debate on the future organization of their remote city
>girls sits on the roof and watches them through thick glass
>she imagines a story based on the gestures and faces of the debating men
>she reflects on the surrounding, destroyed landscape
>both intertwine in her stream of consciousness

>>sci fi novella
>>post ww3 britain
stopped reading.

>both intertwine in her stream of consciousness
>she reflects on the surrounding, destroyed landscape
>she imagines a story based on the gestures and faces of the debating men
>she sits on the roof and watches them through thick glass
>a makeshift committee has a heated debate on the future organization of their remote city
>post ww3 britain
>sci fi novella

> Protagonists are conjoined twins
> Share genitals
> One is trying to pursue a minority love interest
> The other is a racist
> After repeated exposure to the love interest his bigotry founded on ignorance dissipates
> Love interest cheats on original non-racist protag with his brother
> He becomes racist
> Fin

There is no plot, just a series of loosely connected vignettes

A man walks through a city

Same.

Fucking copycat bitch, delete every word of it NOW

Does your idea also involve a contrast between the Narrator's and the Protagonist's observations?

No, I have three first person narratives which it switches between. I'm just working on the one which is a guy lost in a city right now.

Nice meme bro

Sauce on pic?

>500 page stream of consciousness clusterfuck
>about a man who has masturbated himself to death
>written from the perspective of a dying sperm trickling down his thigh

cool

>1500 page stream of consciousness clusterfuck
>about the retelling of the reading of the 2004 Edition Streuben Carpet Catalog by a woman talking to herself on her bed, as seen through the lense of a hacked webcam
>written from the perspective of an autist whose only hobby is watching the hacked webcam of a mentally challanged, but intelligent, mid 30s brunette

would read/10

Setting sounds comfy - would read for this alone.
Chapter titles, as you've described them here, come across as a little cringy. Probably wouldn't bother me as much if I encountered them as part of the finished story.
Book would live or die on the strength of those boys' personalities.

So there's (you)r anonymous encouragement. Now stop posting and go fucking finish it.

it'd be fine if they didn't! not all of your life experiences draw together

gay man walks through a city

City homosexually walks through a man.

Not American so maybe the system doesn't work the same as here. It's a short story, novel is a bit too ambitious.

>young guy in high school
>staunch rightist, believer in personal responsibility and merit
>multiple sclerosis leaves him nearly paralyzed by the age of 18
>against the protesting of his parents, the director of the national committee of education and social justice groups (worried about him making a precedent), he decides to apply to college conventionally, refuses automatic enrollment for the disabled and takes the test like all other students
>he aces it and finishes third on the top list
>on the first day of college, he's confronted by another young man who was 76th out of 75 available spots, he spits in his face and leaves
>the protagonist smiles to himself and realizes he finally felt like a winner again, for the first time since he found out he'll end up paralyzed

>mc is need living in parents house
>mom kicks him out
>lives homeless on streets
>gets taken in by qt
>happy ending

it's the style that's more interesting

Sure, sure it is

It's a ripoff of Hamsun's Hunger, like every other fucking novel written by a young white man

>its like silent hill meets crime and punishment in space.
>Has a cool time traveling bit that lets you communicate with someone from a different time using letters and swapping them in the future.
>the end boss is negative Jesus.

> There is a plateau where gods and goddesses come down from the spirit realm and interact with their followers for one full day.

> This goddess only has two men turn up.

> Handsome one and a not so handsome one.

> She falls for the handsome one, and he betrays her and tries to steal her godhood. (Not sure how yet).

> While she was falling for the handsome one she banished the ugly one, sending him away to the edge of the plateau.

> When this handsome one tries to steal her godhood, she calls the ugly man to save her.

> He rushes over and helps her kill the handsome man.

> The ugly man then kills her as well, damning her for pushing him away in the first place.

> He leaves the plateau, or I might find a way to kill him as well. And the "seed" of the goddesses godhood sits in their blood and grows into the only tree on this plateau.

> The goddess is then basically the tree, who has to watch other gods and goddesses interact with their followers properly. They interact without being too human.

It might work...may not...I don't care. I'm writing it anyway.

>story is really just the character's interpretation and imagination coupled with immediate stimuli
This is such a terrible meme storytelling device

Why is it always a church?

>setting
>late Victorian era

stopped reading.

>PI Novel
>Post Recession Pittsburgh
>Some reporter necks himself
>Family member don't think he did to heself
>He did do it to heself
>It were drugs that made him do it
>Many other cases, same drug
>3 POVs
>Detective, partner, and Bodygaurd of the BBEG
>Scrap the project after watching S1 of Sherlock
Now I'm just writing something about a dude who honeydicks badguyz
How do I get out of writing genre fiction?

>reddit spacing
>ridiculous story with its moral all ready for the audience to lap up
>story as vehicle for author's half baked philosophy idea
>"I'm writing it just as it's told here even though I posted it in a thread for rating story ideas. No I don't care about your opinions!"
Neck yourself

>in mom's living room
>cousin starts acting weird
>leave mom's living room
>cousin stop acting weird
don't forget to subscribe and read the full novel to find out why!

>write idea in one these threads
>zero replies
>kill myself and blame Veeky Forums bullying me
>I'm moderately famous so this board will have a novitiate flood the likes of which has never been seen before
I'll have my revenge.

Kek. Give me time to write down my own thing first.

>nihilist talks shit and gets hit
>spooks buy property
>NRx explodes due to weapons test
>Militarist kills himself after inadvertently killing NRx

>entire book is based around people going back in time to fix the shit they did the first time which includes blowing up florida and pulling a nagasaki on vietnam. Also Bolsheviks never come to power because fuck commies.
>this happens several times and they are all lied to about who they are, ship of theseus with replacement of internal organs and shit.
>also wormhole fuckery wherein a guy gets teleported to australia in 1912, and because of a miscalculation in terms of frame of reference, get smeared across the desert at 600 miles an hour. His waist down was materially placed in the ground at his arrival, and due to the speed, his body formed glass because of the heat coming from his rapidly smearing body over the sand.

>also ireland is united

Setting
>custom, fantasy, the height of absolutism
>Subterranean land, tremendously large caverns, metallic ceiling where there isn't rock. Old tales and legends echo in the vast darkness. Hungry gods roam the lands, seeking adventurers.
>The denizens of this realm; plants, animals and people have grown to survive this harsh world. Pitch black, ashen, colorless or contrarily excessively colorful and glowing patterns dot their free forms.
>Ancient ruins dot the harsh land that hasn't seen erosion, ashen plains and bottomless swamps. Every now and then there rises a glowing beacon of hope rises, a towering settlement where treasure, hospitality, food and songs flow their lives, drowning the melancholic spirits and planting the trees of Hubris. Their roots grasp the hearts and drain them cold.
>As such, reason is elevated and knowledge assumed, old songs morphed beyond recognition and mankind encasing itself in decor, embellishing itself as the light of the world. Kings of the land bend knee to new ideas, Yet it is in these times that bring forth the child of prophecy.

Story summary
>The child of prophecy, daughter of the stars leads an easy life. Succumbing to her desires, she grew lazy and cruel. She hasn't sold her bravery, however, and finds herself in the midst of a power struggle which leads her stranded outside of civilization.
>There she meets Worm, and old curse who eats kingdoms, and is thrown towards her destiny and travel through hardship
>She must make painful choices, as she finds out that there is a reason darkness is feared and old whispers forgotten

>Hungry gods roam the lands, seeking venturers without light*
I shouldn't do this in the morning.

gimmicky, imo. But if it makes you laugh, it might make others laugh.
Is english not your first language? Or are you trying to be deliberately thick?
What is the book called?
Meh. But you do you, famry.
actually heartwarming.
I have no clue, user.

ITT: people whine about not getting critique when they don't critique at all, so fuck it i'll do it.

This makes me just want to restart a dark souls story.

Worst post of the thread. Thanks.

>This makes me just want to restart a dark souls story.
I've never played Dark Souls. I was inspired by deep sea creatures and coral reefs.

Too blatantly ironic, gives off an Anthony Burch vibe.
It's not that bad, but do grow some spine. Vulnerability and wounds are not as bad as you think.

>The Nazis won and is indistinguishable from our modern europe.

Honestly, if you can write epoch out of this, it will be a worthwhile read. Otherwise, have it as a background myth in one of your stories.

Also, shift+enter.

Rothschild fanboy? youtube.com/watch?v=b_WFH0KM61A

>series follows a group of immortals throughout time
>multiple story arcs, multiple time periods
>starts around medieval fantasy time, ends during 80s style dystopian scifi future
>each immortal discovers how boring and miserable immortality is and copes with it in their own way
>one becomes a scholar recording all of history as it occurs, one tries to take over the world, one accidentally becomes a religous icon after "dying" and coming back, etc
>events throughout the time periods bring them together or force them against each other
>all characters experience life differently from each other and change dramatically over the course of the story
>extra characters include a time traveller who comes from the ending scifi time period that shows up at a few different time periods, a legendary demonic swordsman who is constantly harrassed by wannabe duelists (kind of like Gene Wilder's character in Blazing Saddles) and just wants to find some place to settle down, and a crazy orc berserker whose feud from the beginning time period keeps coming up at inconvenient times

Would read

>each immortal discovers how boring and miserable immortality is and copes with it in their own way
They weren't born today. Don't assume they would fall for the same pitfalls, or take everything good for granted. Expand on their experience. Have them struggle with their passions and drives, loss and evolution. Maybe they would turn more machinelike than their times, even. Would they be aliens, or the seeds of the times?

Otherwise interesting concept. I like.

21 savage is vidya karamazov and his private tattoo artist is andrei rublyov and they are shooting eachother in a digital orthodox hood

That sounds like it could be fun and unusual. Sort of like Cloud Atlas with a sense of humour and less bullshit mysticism.

>modern day, or at least close to it
>Main character is a poor, lonely, and plain man in his early thirties.
>Underprivileged, he has several undiagnosed mental illnesses that he struggles to cope with.
>Falls in love with a young girl that attends a university he does janitorial work at.
>Through a series of events, he accidentally kills her. He attempts to hide his crime.
>Most of the story follows him attempting to cope with the crime he has committed, exploring his mental illness, and his inevitable capture.
>Draws a light on mental health care accessibility, the justice systems handling of mentally ill criminals, and media coverage of murderers.

I like this meme, even if it's forced

I usually avoid modern day setting like a plague, but this one seems like it could work. It's heavy enough to make it worth reading and light enough to pick up.

>set in a little italian town
>some guy one day starts running out of the blue until he's dead
>his friends try to figure it out, they lowkey enjoy the whole thing because their life is so boring
>they're all spoiled anaffective people, i'd like to add a sort of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" vibe to them
>the police investigates
>meanwhile a local guy starts his own investigation because he suspects that all is linked to an old military station which he raided whit his friends when he was young
>the POV switches between the friends memories and parties, the cops and the guy
>big conspiracy behind all
I don't know how to finish it yet

And now for some critique :^)
I think that this can be a really good book or a Stephen-King-thriller-#54557 kind of book, it really depends on your writing and character complexity
>legendary demonic swordsman who is constantly harrassed by wannabe duelists (kind of like Gene Wilder's character in Blazing Saddles)
I would love to read a fantasy with that kind of humor
This is patently derivative, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be fun
It is a good premise but it is quite vague
This is a weird mash up between nietzsche, ted chiang and /r9k/
The xx century called and wanted his influencial book back
Dude...
I like this very much, so S I N C E R E (not joking i like it)
I don't understand this
Perec already did that :^) (it doesn't mean you shouldn't)
I don't know what your're trying to write, but i would give it a try
tl;dr sorry brotendo
Lel, this looks like a chill version of Borges, i would read it
Make him tell the stories to others, write a "frame" like the Decameron or the Canterbury Tales

>naive protagonist
>world fucks them over
>protagonist dies

>2017
>protagonist

>naive user
>Veeky Forums fucks him over
>user dies

Is this YA?

>French businessman Simon Tissot Dupont steals Shakespeare's bones for reasons
>becomes possessed by the bard's ghost
>slowly turns into fire demon, gifted with long life
>his sons take over his business, start selling luxury lighters
I call it "I am BIC Lighter".

>~2025
>NEET living with catatonic mother stalks/watches her old friend, now a vlogger in a big city. vlogger records nearly 24/7 using softare that tells her what is tredning re: make up, events, shit to talk about and do in her videos.
>meanwhile a company like google is developing a software that can identify and influence cultural trends e.g. movie tastes - it can create a culturally relevant film with characters and graphics indistinguishable from real life/other films. They are working out glitches and legal issues e.g. debate as to whether it will constitute true AI. If so then it may become state regulated.
> a company programmer leaks info about this AI which is gathered by a post-humanist cult who want to liberate the ai and worship it.
>company board wants to use the AI to play with the stock market, this argument wins. The ai is unleashed, it infects every public company on earth and all stock markets explode in value to an impractical level within a day, most currencies collapse and large cities experience random on/off black outs. The company loses all control of the ai and can't stop it, it was released with the single objective of raising the company's stock value.
>neet girls mother dies, as does her internet. She decides to travel to and find the vlogger in the nearby city as she has no other friends.
> vlogger finds package of leaked info that explains back out in her city. violence erupts, people start destroying financial districts and killing rich people under banners reading 'eat the rich first'.
> military take control. All devices attached to internet brake down. amid the chaos, neet finds vlogger... ...turns out the vlogger's only follower was the neet since all other info/trends she got from the vlog software was extrapolated from the neet's online profile and ghost accounts run by an early version of the company's ai. turns out everyone lives in a bubble with max like 2 or 3 other people influencing their online experiences and otherwise interacting with bots and now internet is down they have to communicate with each other.
>inner city conflicts between the post-humanists and 'eat the rich' crowds die down.

some shit like that

Good but fizzles out at the end.

thanks user

>Title: In the Land of the Living
>a little follow on - the guy who leaks the info knows he has to find the only solid copies of the leaked docs before the ai is mistaken for a true ai (which it isn't).
> He knows the ip and street address of where it was sent so he goes to find the vlogger's apartment. he's killed by cultists when he gets there.
> the ending for me is when the neet finds the vlogger in the midst of a street riot and breaks her own state of touch isolation while the vlogger recognises the neet and realises what she left behind in her home town as all her city friends have turned out to be vicious cunts.

give him a syphilis

Sounds really interesting, would read/10. Partly because I love IASIP

Make him bring a souvenir from each of the cities, then frame the story as him, now an old man, relaying his experiences to his son, who had always been curious about the trinkets. Maybe it's cliched but w/e

Why?

Hannah E

>setting is a country which has just come out of a long civil war
>the main character is a member of a political party whose leader is about to get elected Prime Minister
>on inauguration day, the Prime Minister-designate is shot and killed, sending the country spiraling back into civil war
>for the next few years, the main character lives under the new totalitarian government's rule before joining a militant group of 'rebels'
>while he's with this militant group commiting some act of terrorism, he wonders what the Prime Minister he admired so much all those years ago would think of him and the group he's a part of
not sure how I would make this all not cliche and what the ending would be. Just an idea I've had

>A soft sci-fi space opera taking place in a futuristic right-wing setting (I'm liberal myself doing it just for fun lol) and it will be an epic.

>This is patently derivative, but it doesn't mean it couldn't be fun
What do you think of giving the premise as the summary? It is like a bait, right?
youtube.com/watch?v=mrSu65Bb9X4

I promise, if it ever becomes something, I'll let Veeky Forums tear it to shreds first.

>Novella is about an actor that quits Hollywood.

>Novel is Sam Shepard meets Don DeLillo.

Going to a writers conference this weekend that might expedite the process.

Yes

>There's this guy wandering around a city and he seems sort of lost and is overthinking how lost he is and gradually he gets more lost and confused
>There's another guy in another city who isn't lost but seems sort of lonely, browsing the internet a lot. Stuff happens to him that sort of follows the plot of an obscure fairytale but it's all hard cyberpunk instead of magic
>There's a student with a strange part time job which she tries not to think about too much, in a small university town but beyond a few scenes I don't know what's going to happen with her, I'm hoping it'll emerge as I finish writing the first two narratives.

man works in a light house in complete isolation. he one day sees a light in the far distance which is his first contact with anyone for the last 20 years. he starts signaling his lighthouse's light at certain hours to gain the attention of the light which shined at the middle of the ocean. the light in the ocean keeps shining and keeps coming closer. the man in the lighthouse builts up to the moment of meeting the person he has been waiting to meet a long time (the exchange of light signals has been going on for a couple of weeks) until he notices that the light is a burning ship which when it arrives at the beach only holds dead people. the man from the lighthouse kills himself at this discovery.

is it too edgy? it is supposed to be a short story, the first one i have ever written.

I read the whole thread and this seems like the most interesting story in it. Would read.

If you do it, please try to avoid copying Dostoevsky too much. I don't know if you've read Notes or Crime&Punishment, but somehow the premise says you have. This is not a bad thing, but try to have your own voice.

>post scarcity future
>world government distributes currency to citizens
>amount received is based on how victimized you are
>victimization rate is measured using advanced technology that gauges public consciousness
>typically blacks get a little more, gays, cripples, retards, etc...
>identity politics have literally become the currency of the world
>mentally ill invalids dominate the sexual market, marrying one ensures prestige and security
>collusion wherein participants engage in willing rape is rampant for govt compensations
>meanwhile the most functional members of society are ostracized and hated
>their discontent is disregarded in a world where historical revision is a national past time
>time travel is invented by the withering quondam middle class to try and change the future
>discover that history is immutable but observable
>this observable objective past plunges society into chaos, world currency collapses
>civilization slowly adopts a new-sinceritysque return to historicity
>eugenic programs instilled to undo years of purposefully breeding the mentally ill
>improvements in society conflated entirely with use of eugenics, world on track to a Nazi styled future
>the cycle continues

It's basically a Brave New World for our modern world if it was written by Phillip K. Dick and if he was a lesbian.

>four-volume set of 194,000 tweets
>about the operations of a post-WWIII meatpacking plant
>told from the perspective of a dead cat mouthfucked by 200 disgruntled employees

underrated borscht

Pittsburgh actually recovered from the recession really well, since they invested in medicine and technology; now Google is there and Uber started its self-driving car system. Learn your settings, nigga.
>he doesn't even live dãntãn

>Perec already did that :^) (it doesn't mean you shouldn't)
Which of his works? His stuff looks interesting

A man asleep

There´s this story i find funny of two Lat Boom writers, Carlos Fuentes and José Donoso, who
created a fake ecuadorian Boom writer, since there wasn´t one and also to pay homage to ecuadorian literature, because many of the Boom writers were influenced by it.
So i´d like to write a novel based on that idea. I´d write a fake biography of an ecuadorian writer of that movement (but not the same character that Fuentes and Donoso invented). The novel would take some of the most common characteristics of the Lat Boom, like agical Realism and the evil Dictator character (this one specially, since here in Ecuador since we had a militar dictator that was actually a good president and loved by many) , and satirized them. It would also be implied, maybe in a subtle way, that this fake writer isn´t real in the context of the story.
I´m still very far from writing it, but that´s something i woud want to do.

Thanks.

>So i´d like to write a novel based on that idea. I´d write a fake biography of an ecuadorian writer of that movement (but not the same character that Fuentes and Donoso invented). The novel would take some of the most common characteristics of the Lat Boom, like agical Realism and the evil Dictator character (this one specially, since here in Ecuador since we had a militar dictator that was actually a good president and loved by many) , and satirized them. It would also be implied, maybe in a subtle way, that this fake writer isn´t real in the context of the story.
this is part 5 of 2666, just one continent removed

Why exactly?

>two ogres go on an inter-dimensional journey to defeat a wraith-like creature becaue it destroyed one of the ogres china/pottery/mineral collection and end up accidentally saving the multiverse

>A man named Edward Chirstmas travels back to the same moment in time (Los Angeles, the 4th of July, 1987) at various points in his life, each time from different angles
>Father reportedly murdered by a random Black man while out buying ice cream
>His life goes to shit after that
>Mother remarries, becomes a coke addict, and overdoses, basically teaches him to blame Blacks for his father's death
>Gets married, has a son, goes through a nasty divorce and loses custody
>Doesn't support White Supremacism, but rather is deeply nihilist and bears a hatred for Blacks
>Finale of the novel is him shooting up a school and deliberately targeting Black children before being killed by police
>Revisits his father's murder at the moment of his death and sees that his father wasn't killed by a Black man, but a nearby Black man was framed by the LAPD
>Called "We Love You, Edward Christmas"

I guess I worded that a little inelegantly and I don't have the exact course of events all laid out but ultimately it's about the cycle of racial hatred and violence