Does Veeky Forums annotate in their books?

Does Veeky Forums annotate in their books?

I don't. Reading is an aesthetic pleasure as well as intellectual; it really bothers me when books have any outside writing in them.

No, but I buy 90% of my books used and sometimes they come pre-annotated by autistic children like this one.

I badly want to for my own posterity but for aesthetic reasons, much like suggested, I find it abhorrent. I get a nice hardback copy of a book I cherish and it's like a trophy. I don't want to mar it at all.

So it is impossible to change something without being changed in return, right? I've thought about that with regard to books, as my alternative to scoring the pages with scribble is to memorize lines and associate my thoughts and feelings with them as a kind of mental notation. But in changing myself, my own reaction to the text, now the way the book feels to me has been made more permanent and I can't reinterpret it as easily.

So it's a trade that I struggle with. Sometimes I love the thing I'm reading and don't want to impugn potential future reads when I'm older and have a new perspective.

I try to keep in check these days. I usually use ~ five marginal marks.

*-aesthetically notable
]-etymologically interesting
}-thematic element
>-relationship to another author
)-personal meaning or relevance to my ideas

If you make things too explicit then you have to deal with how embarrassingly dumb you were five years earlier.

>he doesn't realize that it's actually a diagram explaining the underlying meaning of the novel.

Probably the most pseud thing a person can do.

For philosophy, not literature

>JAMIE, CAN YOU PULL THAT UP REAL QUICK?

sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I like a good marginalia.

Anybody who does it is subhuman filth. Fucking disgusting.

No, because I'm not a fucking sociopath.

Is this DJT's copy?

What do people do to help themselves understand the text if they don't annotate?

Don't tell me you actually memorize and understand a book all in your head.

le cringe

Disgusting image.

no because im not retarded
i read slow and if i want to remember something in particular i jot it down on a notepad.

Yes, I try to memorize and understand a book all in my head.

When reading poetry I put a dash in the margin to remind myself I enjoyed something
Other than that nah

>people -> Gatsby = moths -> light
Glad you're leaving something brilliant for posterity, user ––GAY?

I'll ask a counter-question: How do you use annotation to understand the text?

Honest question, not snarky. I'd think that taking notes would be sufficient if you don't want to do disgusting things to your book.

this is actually a good idea
thanks

this is a random mind mapping image btw

I put sticky notes.

How do you take notes though, is there a general thing to look for?

Stop letting girls write in books 2017

If it's a textbook or anthology, I'll take ink to it, pencil, draw diagrams, whatever. Usually it's for a class anyway.

If it's poetry I mark it up the same way. All that white space is a waste otherwise. If I really care, I'll scan the poem first, mark up the scanned copy, and fold it into the page.

Novels I'll scan and mark up, or make comments on post-its.

No, I'm actually trying to enjoy the book.

That's the Pilgrim's Progress

80% of mine are from flagging aesthetically exceptional material--usually stuff I want to steal, allude to, or pick apart syntactically

I don't use margins to outline or summarize material. If it's not aesthetic stuff then I'm usually flagging passages with other authors or texts I want to reread against it.

>taking notes

reading some Christina Hoff summers book i got second hand a feminist sperging annotations everywhere claiming shes racist and sexist

>alt-right """"""""""""""""literature"""""""""""""

shes a jew m8 how is she alt right?

Never

If you had started with the Greeks, you would understand this annotation

Fucking painful. If a pseud ever tried to show me this (the only purpose this unintelligible horseshit serves), I'd laugh in their face.

Hey sometimes you just need to draw a line between a word and its associated footnote to really capture the meaning.

It's not marring at all if you have a nice thin pen and good handwriting and keep it level with the page so it's just another small text block.

>tfw lit only sees these high school girls' annotations and doesn't realise how much more a well annotated book is worth

That's the kind of Bible a PhD student, professor, or reverend would use. I can't imagine somebody did that for fun or to show off.

Having that kind of detail is useful when one needs to improvise around a sermon, give a lecture, and so on. Probably a student, because it is so colorful.

A professor of Hebrew Bible I know has his marked up (to a lesser degree, because that is just distracting), and has scanned the entirety of it.

Yes, I annotate my books. I read to learn, and having reference points is vital for me to learn more efficiently. I tend to not write pointless, obvious shit, but primarily underline passages I find either aesthetically pleasing or thematically important, and jot down key words or short fragments for quick thoughts. I love purchasing annotated books as well used, as I get to read from essentially someone else's perspective.

If a book is sufficiently complicated that it would be difficult to remember, I usually just spend a few minutes after each chapter orally summarizing what I just read. I don't understand why one would need to mind-map a book while they read it.

Post it, desu.

My paternal grandparents each have study bible that looks about like that. But they are really deep into their church--like going there six out of seven days a week for one thing or another.

It's pretty surreal cause they know all this esoterica about antiquity and Lavant/Anatolian geography and biblical history but then they'll follow it up with evolution denial or excising Islam from the judeo-christian prophetic tradition.

I'm really hoping I can secure their bibles after they're gone. All that tasty marginalia will be mine!

Yes! There is a cool site someone here turned me on to the other day which catalogs marginalia found library books at Oxford. Most of them are cheeky bantz.

I annotate my philosophy texts, but not for literature

Yes, since my intention is to dissect and study the text.

Of course, brainlets and those who use books as fashion signal are against this.

For school yes
Reading for fun, no, fuck that

No. I keep separate notebooks for notes on books. I do, however, highlight.

Those are some of the worst annotations I've ever had the misfortune to see.

i pay $30 for a book in my country (book taxes..) so no i fucking wont ruin a book with writing.

for novels I never annotate because aesthetic and it doesn't really help me. For poetry I want to fully dissect, Ill make photocopies of them and then annotate the copy.

Sometimes I'll write on my bookmark to remember to look up an unfamiliar word or a question I had.

You're kidding yourself then. It's almost impossible to do with one good book, let alone several.

>No. I keep separate notebooks for notes on books.
This.
But it mostly turns into just writing down entire paragraphs, or even half of a chapter, because I feel that everything is important.
Realising that kind of made me stop reading the last book I read and decided to rethink how I should approach.
That was last summer, and I haven't found a better way since then, nor have I read any books since then.

Why even live?

pic related some of my old notes.

kek

Your handwriting makes me think you suffer from anxiety

Not that I would know of. But I am your typical 4channer, being anti-social and what not.

No, never, as a rule. I read to understand, several times if necessary, but that's it

Years ago I highlighted parts of my four volume Philokalia set and now I feel like a dumbass. My only solace is that at least highlighter ink fades with time.

wtf what country has book taxes? Never heard of that.

There's a provincial 10% book tax in Newfoundland and Labrador.

this is why god gave us post it notes user

Wow. And I thougt the 7% VAT where I live were too much...

I'm just glad God gave you to me :3

Oxford Marginalia Facebook page?

Haha, ahaha, hahahaha, ahahaha.

This can't be real?

>book tax

added to list of places never to live.

>A-Ha!
>Tender curiosity to Jordan - GAY?
Jesus Christ

some countries reduce the tax on the book, others have very low. In Chile we have a 19% tax on books.

>His commentary is so disposable he uses disposable notes.

My genius knows no bounds and my comments always add something substantive to reading the work. Some of my annotations will be posthumously published when a woman in a green dress finds them when looking through the books being donated to a used bookstore.

Is this English? Jesus Christ dude. You need to relearn how to write.

I use sticky notes and notebooks.
Too scared to write into booka with even a pencil.

i sometimes highlight and write in my books if its a big deal like IJ. normally i wouldnt tho

Those are some cringy as fuck annotations

Well done user, you can read!

>Nick -- honest

Are you saying Jews can't be alt-right?

No, it is the progress of the pilgrims

I never find any reason to, I prefer to overthink the book in my head, and well if I forget something, why the hell should I care?
You do not annotate lectures or movies.

Duh, the entire alt-right movement is 100% racist

Facebook told me