Do different languages have different psychological features built into them?

Do different languages have different psychological features built into them?
e.g. Spanish is loud and overly festive, French is sensual / aesthetic, Chinese is angry and scrutinizing, German is efficient and authoritative, etc.
I think it's like whichever language you're raised in marinates you in its mind state.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonology
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

German is efficient

No.

How is it not efficient? Everything spoken in German sounds really definitive and to the point.

So does English and kinda like, many other languages. Exceptions exist. I believe it is better to say that majority of languages might share a common characteristic, but some of them have their own unique ones which is one of the differences.

I agree completely with OP for example take languages with any verbal form that is separated to make a tense like German or Japanese and that will definitely change your outlook on how to deal with discourse and pay more attention since you have to listen to the whole sentence to actually know the tense or direction that the separable element is letting you know.

It's unlikely. People of every character are found speaking every language, and stereotypes about national character change over time. During Elizabethan times, it was the English who were thought of as overly-emotional and irrational, while Italians were seen as worldly and calculating.

>People of every character are found speaking every language
Well yeah, I didn't mean all Mexicans are loud and overly festive or all Germans are efficient and authoritative.
What I meant is there's an abstract behavioral field you're born into depending on which language everyone around you is speaking in primarily. Sort of like what the concept of "zeitgeist" is, but for language instead of time period.
Or like with Tolkien's Middle-Earth stories where elves had one sort of general behavior associated with their race and dwarves had a different sort of general behavior associated with theirs. That doesn't mean you don't have variety in personality among either of those two races.
>stereotypes about national character change over time
That sounds more like an argument against these tendencies being permanent than an argument against these tendencies existing.

Get some self-awareness you brainlet fuck.

if you want a language that's 'to the point", learn Mandarin/Cantonese.

Do you speak any of the languages you commented on?

You're less aware of the qualities of a language you're immersed in and know how to speak, not more aware of them.
Most English speakers for example won't have an easy time knowing how English sounds to non-English speakers because we're always "hearing" the meanings of our words instead of hearing the actual sounds of our words the way non-speakers do.

You first.

What your describing is called linguistic relativity.

This
I noticed the more I learned French, the less 'French' it sounded, in a way. I noticed less of how it sounded and more of what it was saying. It's hard to explain

The most efficient language is almost certainly Chinese and it's not even close
If I had to give a one-word "attribute" to German I'd say it's a very "flexible" language

Try learning some of the languages you're talking about.
And yes, language influences thought. google the "Sapir-Whorf hypothesis". I've heard, on several independent occasions, bilingual or trilingual people say they have a "different personality" depending on what language they are speaking or thinking in

I think there are two different sense of "efficient" we're talking about here.
I believe you both that Chinese is a lot more information dense per character and per utterance.
I don't think that's the same thing as a language making its speakers themselves sound more efficient as a personality trait though. It's more of a cadence thing I'm thinking of, where German sounds like the speaker is driving hard at the things they're talking about in a very focused and direct sort of way.
This distinction is basically between whether a trait is used to describe the language itself or whether a trait is used to describe the impression communicated by the way a speaker of that language speaks.

>Do different languages have different psychological features built into them?
No
>Spanish is loud and overly festive
You have obviously never spoken to some mumbling drunk mexican before.
> French is sensual / aesthetic
The words for "this","that",It is","these","he is","know" and "his" are all pronounced the same in french also many parts of their sentences are silent, french is a mess.
>German is efficient
Yeah if you like just sticking extra words onto other words in a rat's nest of suffixes until you are left with a portmanteau with 136 syllables.

And another thing, this stupid hypothesis of yours fails to consider the differences in behavior among different cultures that speak the same language.
Do Americans act like the British do they act like Canadians or Australians? Do Swiss act identical to Germans?
What about cultures that act identical but speak numerous different languages?

>Or like with Tolkien's Middle-Earth stories where elves had one sort of general behavior associated with their race and dwarves had a different sort of general behavior associated with theirs.
Elves and dwarves in LotR spoke many different languages

It's an analogy between language and character race, which languages the characters spoke is irrelevant.
>the differences in behavior among different cultures
I already addressed that here:
You're making the assumption I'm trying to say the thing with language is the only factor there is, which is something I never claimed. There are all sorts of factors involved in a given someone's personality, like genetics, upbringing, and nationality. The existence of one factor doesn't invalidate the existence of all the other factors.
>Yeah if you like just sticking extra words onto other words in a rat's nest of suffixes until you are left with a portmanteau with 136 syllables.
I already addressed that here:
You're talking about the information density of German, which isn't the same thing as how the German cadence / accent sounds. You can have a very information dense language with an accent that doesn't make the speaker sound efficient and you can have a not so information dense language with an accent that does make the speaker sound efficient.

>German is efficient and authoritative
t. has never talked to a german person

WELCOME TO ARTISINAL NEURO-LINGUISTICS BITCH!

POOPULATION ME!

It sounds like what you're looking for might be phonology:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonology

Already addressed that here:

Please, I work with a lot of foreigners who all admit that German spoken by natives in a natural settings doesn't sounds harsh at all.

it is. e g where u need context in other languages you dont need in german

russian sounds as hard as german

I have the same impression about the english language
t. spanish speaker

The fact that you already asked that very specific question to be able to share that anecdote means the idea of Germans sounding that way exists.

>Spanish is loud and overly festive
No, any Spanish outside of Spain sounds like poverty
>French is sensual / aesthetic
True
Switch Chinese and German and you got it right.