I'm genuinely curious as why people like this so much. What's the appeal?

I'm genuinely curious as why people like this so much. What's the appeal?

There is none, everybody hates it, it's overpriced, bland, and made with shit ingredients. People just eat it too look cool

That's the answer you're looking for right?

That's how I feel but at least some people must actually enjoy it, right?

Honestly I'm not entirely sure either. It can be pretty nice when it's well made but also make you bedridden if done poorly, but I guess that goes for all food. It's relatively healthy depending on which rolls you get and often can taste good enough. But I don't feel like it deserves the cult following it's gathered nor the remarkably high prices you can be charged for some. I'd actually like to know why it's so popular as well. I rather like sushi because it often doesn't leave feeling heavy or bloated and it's an easy way to get fresh seafood depending on where you go.

It tastes good. Good flavors, nice texture contrast too. And it's visually appealing.

Nope, you're spot on, I know you might be worrying that you're an elitist prick with no friends because you define yourself by things you hate, but in this case you're right on the money. Give yourself a oat on the back for being more honest than all the sheeple and not following the crowd

Variety mostly

"what's the appeal"
?? It tastes good? Like, it's not that complicated lol
Also, if I'm getting takeout, sushi is healthier than most places where I live, and it's not a huge price difference.
Even if it's not done great, I still prefer it over McDonalds.

Also, along with being a bit healthier, to me it's a lot fresher too.

Weebs. Sushi isn't too bad though but I won't go out of my way to eat it.

that was uncalled for

It tastes good?

One of the only reliable ways to get good fish via take-out.

As someone whose company does Seamless bux for lunches, that's good for me. Get my vitamins and omegas and such.

it's an excuse to use soy sauce and wasabi. sushi itself is fairly bland without any condiment

I believe the American interest in sushi is largely attributed to how different it is compared to our food staples.

Most American foods are very heavy and loaded with salt and spices + a host of other non-food ingredients, and usually not the most fresh. Or bonus points if you're from Pennsylvania and your food is worse than the Britbongs from across the pond.

Sushi is fresh, simple yet ornate, with a very clean and delicate flavor pallet that is in extreme contrast to most of our traditional foods.

What's everyone's favorite sushi? I especially love eel roll.

kek

Crazy monkey.

Fried banana, mayo, and salmon

I like animal flesh. I like rice. Those are both uncontroversial opinions. They go just fine together, bam, that's sushi. Tends to be overpriced though.

Salmon and avocado is always good.

Eel and fatty tuna

It's something low class people eat to make themselves seem "worldly" or fancier than they actually are.

Kind of like how some people think Olive Garden is a fancy restaurant, I think sushi is riding that same type of hype.