Why is Lovecraft so popular in Geek/Nerd culture? Is it because geeks are all racist deep down?

Why is Lovecraft so popular in Geek/Nerd culture? Is it because geeks are all racist deep down?

Other urls found in this thread:

hplovecraft.com/writings/sources/
hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/
arkhamarchivist.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/
arkhamarchivist.com/lovecraft-recommended-reading-list/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

cult, obfuscating writer who had an rpg based on his stories.

How can we destroy geek culture? It's cancer.

Just stop being a genrefag and embrace the true classics. Fantasy is all ripped off from older works anyway. We allow "geek culture" to fail by abandoning it for purer, more patrician, original source material.

I blame the internet personally, take that down then people would stop applying labels to themselves rather then genuinely coming up with their own personality since people are far too lazy to craft their own they can just "develop", a store bought, tacky, personality hence why there are so many "personalities", geek, hipster, single mother, gay, trans, etc.

Social media definitely accelerated this.

It trapped normies in a safety bubble or at least giving them the false sense of security that is the way things are who don't realize how shit things are or how boring they are. You're worried about your useless sociology degree costing you thousands in debt, how monotonous your life is or refugees being places near your area and stripping your cultural identity away? Don't worry, remember there's always a label you can "adopt" to make yourself think everything is okay by shouting slogans such as BlackLivesMatter or I'm With Her while fooling yourself you're: Trans, gay, bi, geek, hipster, etc..

Is Lovecraft worth reading?

As a horror writer, yes.

>single mother
>gay
>personalities

Ah which of his books do you recommand?

It's the appeal of taking something that's supposed to be strange and disturbing and turning it into a "lol so nerdy" joke

He primarily wrote short stories so most volumes are just collections of those. There is a list of current editions here:
hplovecraft.com/writings/sources/
The ones published by Penguin Classics are fine, if you want something inexpensive. The ones published by Arkham House are the "standard" editions but they are hardcovers and more expensive. There are larger single-volume collections like the one from Barnes and Noble that are fine too.

You can read just about everything for free here, though:
hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/

I'd suggest starting with The Call of Cthulhu.

Cheers user.

Also if you like ebooks, you can get everything for free here:
arkhamarchivist.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/

The same site also has a suggested reading order to get you started that is decent:
arkhamarchivist.com/lovecraft-recommended-reading-list/

Lovecraft isn't that popular. Call of Cthulhu or at least Cthulhu is.

Most of those plebeians couldn't even tell you cosmicism is.

He was quite a good writer, not the best, not the worst, so people recommend him to others and the cult slowly rises. Also, Lovecraft's ideas are almost (?) free from copyright, so there is lots of related merchandise. People see it and think that it's probably cool to be a fan of his works and mythos, so they join in, others see it and they join, too, and so it goes.
At least that's how I see it from my experience. I bought a lovecraftian board game and showed it to my friends, they enjoyed it, one asked for recommendation on where to start reading. Later he bought the book and now a shirt with Cthulhu.

just a meme.

Everyone's racist "deep down"

I don't know if those things are at all related to the modern young person's mindset.

Oh yeah quick question now.
Is The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Tales published by Sterling or H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction published by Barnes and Nobles worth buying?

Not him but I get what he's saying. Now its trendy to be gay or some sort of victim, wherein the majority of corporate advertisers NEED these people to "know" themselves in order to sell to them. I know of several people whos entire personality (what they do, say think) is solely based off meme facebook pages and what not.