Should you bother with the humanities...

Should you bother with the humanities? There is so much to learn when it comes to any STEM field that I now realise why so many people involved in it are largely ignorant of politics, history, philosophy and humanities in general, despite being brilliant in their area. I want to be like them and be great at what I'm doing, but at the same time I want so hard to know what is and has been going on around me and dream of the past and of possibilities and human motivations and their future. Does knowing these things that are outside your area have any merit or are they just distractions from what's really important and what could really drive society forward?

Holy fuck nigger, do whatever the fuck makes you happy

It really depends on if you want to be a jack of all trades when it comes to interesting topics or a master of a select few, it's a really hard decision desu.

>nigger
Why the racism?

because this is an anonymous image board and people are going to use bad words. that's part of the territory of anonymity, you either deal with it or you don't

Just do both, all you need is keep up with the news and now a bit about politics. "The Prince" is a hundred pages long, easy to read and offers some good insight on how politicians ( especially dictators ) tend to act.

This. Also die cis scum.

we´re reaching mild forms of synthesis between fields in STEM and philosophy/humanities. As in some domains of cognitive science - social network dynamics, self-organization -, I´ve seen an interesting article bridging concepts of political change to natural phase change as in physical systems.

Go for some philosopher that think - and is reflected on their texts - that philosphy is co-extensive with science. Or better, that divisions like that, as time and development unfolds, become more problematic than pragmatic.

You can check cybernetics (second-order), emergentism, natural computation, etc.

People with a background in humanities decide funding for STEM, a topic they have no understanding of, the important part is to appear cool.

STEM people are puzzled why real science is underfunded while gender studies etc is funded. Also there is frustration of the incompetent ruling over those with insight.

So we have a disconnect. It can be useful to know a tiny bit about humanities, iof only to defeat them when they want to make "major decisions", usually to the detriment of real STEM.

Yes, that too.

I definitely think it's important to have at least have a general knowledge of things. And I think everyone has at least one period or aspect of history that appeals to them, be it the Roman Empire, Age of Sail, WWII, Ancient Egypt, The Crusades, whatever.
Take a break from whatever you're doing for 20-30 minutes a day and, I don't know, read some philosophy, lit, history, or whatever tickles your fancy that day. It's good for your brain to give it a chance to assimilate different kinds of information. The mind is, after all, an infovore. And so long as it's a topic you're interested in, it's going to feel like a break and recreation, and you never know where you're going to find inspiration.

History (not hyperbolic idealism shit, find solid works), philosophy (just pick out what interests you, be wary of being subjugated by it though, it's mostly nonsense or simple thoughts that work really hard at making you think they're not nonsense/simple thoughts), music, and a passing introduction to political science, is what you should study. Regarding political science, be very careful as it's pretty much a disgustingly nonrigourous ideological shitfest, almost completely removed from reality, specificity and applicability. However, it will give you an inkling into the minds of the political-subsumed, and into the base lines of thought that comprise certain aspects of the political systems of the world and history. It won't tell you how things really work, of course, but it's a good starting point for looking deeper into your daily reality and society.

>Thinking in collective terms in 2017

You should definitely bother with philosophy else you'll just become another autists like the rest of the modern STEM community. All the famous geniuses in math and science were ardent readers of philosophy.

This nigga knows his shit.

>t. philosophy of science grad planning on writing about how physics and philosophy will gradually combine to form a holistic study of the universe

Study humanities but don't bother paying universities to teach it to you.

I doubt anyone with half a brain and no rich parents would pay universities to teach it to them

No one in this thread will achieve anything or make any worth while contribution. The only difference between STEM and humanities is that STEM have deluded themselves into thinking they make a difference.

t. """"""""physics"""""""" with philosophy major

On that note, you should also check out complexity economics

Meant for

nah I have a Bachelor of Engineering/Bachelor of Computer Science and a BA

It is important to know your history, basics of philosophy, and general critical thinking.

The shame is that these subjects are soft in rigor and have become overwhelmed with politics and bullshit, you may as well be getting your education from a tabloid.

The beauty of STEM is that it is much harder to pervert with bias or water down because it is objective.

FUCK HUMANITY

ROBOTS 4 LIFE.

WUBALUBADUBDUUUUBS

PICKLE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

XDXDXDXD

no, humanities never offered any useful understanding to anyone. comepletely useless imo, university should be only for STEM masterrace