Honest question: why does "magical realism" trigger Veeky Forums

Honest question: why does "magical realism" trigger Veeky Forums
I was taught it was a legitimate genre/literary movement

Probably because of its predominately urban fantasy/YA associations

because its fantasy

Is the metamorphosis by kafka magical realism?

ye

Did he died at the end because he was a beetle or was the food no good?

He had an apple lodged in him

he did not die at the end

Infected apple, forbidden fruit, really makes the noodle kanoodle.

I studied magical realism in college (by accident)
Magical realism is either fantasy trying to pass as literature or diversity bullshit, with rare exceptions
Spic writers think it should be taken seriously because supernatural superstitious stuff is considered traditional in Latin and southern America

it's fucking fantasy.

Many people are growing to like it and disliking things growing in popularity as a matter of principle makes certain individuals feel special.

If you studied it you know they don't consider it "magical realism" in Latin and southern America.

Veeky Forums considers all fiction to be escapist trash (especially fantasy).

Something I partially agree with.

There's nothing magical about it.

That's pretty much what I said

Because "South American people, ree".

Most of it feels like some kind of apology towards spic degeneracy. The only good magical realism I've read is Pedro Paramo tbqh

It'd be dismissed as genre trash if the authors were named Michael Smith instead of something "exotic" like Gabo or if they dealt with European life instead of banana plantations and meanie fascists.

I would unironically put George R.R. Martin ahead of hacks like Isabel Allende

I haven't seen much hate for magical realism outside this thread. And what I'm seeing here looks like typical racism and hate for fantasy.

I've smelled /pol/ around more and more often. I don't know if they're emboldened, restless, or both, but they've gotten more vocal.

Being merged with /mlp/ for April Fool's triggered their 'tism

Because /pol/'s been more active on the rest of the site lately and/or the autists from every board are just now starting to visit /pol/ en masse because of the meme presidential election in the US and bringing that shit back with them to their home boards.

Marquez was unironically probably the greatest living novelist at the time of his death.

Maybe not all of it. Are Calvino & Borges considered magic realism? Both are well liked on Veeky Forums.

No, absurdist.

>Calvino & Borges

No.

Dumb poltards have pretty much infected this entire website. I don't even know why I still come here.

You and me both, bud. I only ever came here for Veeky Forums & /tv/ anyway. If you think Veeky Forums is bad try to spend even an hour or so on /tv/. Imagine being there the night of the Oscars. It's fucking terrible. It's hilarious too because this all really did start with ironic shitposting back in the day, and all the under-18 autists got here without ever realizing the irony and latched onto the shitposting with zeal and sincerity as a route to solidarity and identity. The only reason their shit is tolerated by the mods on all the other boards is because all those ips that show /pol/ as their most frequented board spend enough time on here to generate a lot of ad revenue collectively. All this energy they put into their revolutionary reactionism only for them to shit up every board on the site as glorified penny-mines. It's depressing on every level.

This does go to show, though, that there really, in the final analysis, really was not a difference between shitposting and ironic shitposting. Fuck.

>American education

Magical realism is not magical and is not realism

Expressionism

>how does language work

are you implying i don't have a rooster stuck to my groin???

Does he have one brown eye and one green?

something about you reeks of Gen-X self-importance