Escapism is the next literary movement. Prove me wrong

Escapism is the next literary movement. Prove me wrong.

It's already in a literary movement. It's called manga.

And what would an escapist work of literature look like?

but literature is escapism?

True

I am having trouble thinking of any book that doesn't qualify as escapism

Non-fiction books on current events, maybe?

That's like saying narrative is the next literally movement

I thought that, but then again if it doesn't pertain to the individual immediately it could be seen as an escape from daily life. Engaging with any text seems to me an escape because it is drawing ones attention away from the external world and into the world of the book. Even when the book is about the external world, it is necessarily a distortion or departure from it.

Lol, maybe the opposite. It's much more escapist a work of philosophy than a fiction book.

escapism is a mode of engaging with fiction, not a style of fiction. the most blatant political allegory can be read in an escapist manner (what if i was an animal on the animal farm? i would fight the evil pigs!). famously escapist fiction can be read politically (why are the droids in star wars enslaved?).

so what you wrote is something like "wearing hats indoors is the next trend in architecture"

>implying our generation isn't becoming stoic toward the world around us
>implying more and more of us aren't looking for meaning in life, hence why some are beginning to look to God
>implying milennials aren't fed up with hedonism

The next movement will be a critique against capitalism and the world it's created, hence escapism.

Prove yourself right.

Nah man, we are going to get hardcore spiritual and metaphysical again. The XXI century will be the century of intuition.

Imagine being this undergrad.

This

It already IS a movement, it's called YA sci-fi and fantasy. And it's the only thing being made these days.

thats essentially what romanticism was

>tfw finally rejected reason and meaning
>stop giving a fuck about politics, ethics and philosophy
>tfw living the nihilist escapist lifestyle untill i get bored and kill myself

both of these.

fuck that, fuck this. I am not doing neo-romanticism bullshit, and I am not writing neo-nihilist faggotry. As soon as summer comes, I'm studying dialogue syntax, thematic layering, comedy in literature, and fucking Cervantes for the fuck of it. Then I'm going to write a book that isn't pure faggotry, and isn't fucking "Fathers and Sons" bullshit. Oh, everybody is fine, and nothing matters, Bazarov! Fuck NO.

I'm going to establish characters and have them die in a sequence that establishes the stages of grief, the aspects of nostalgia, and fibromyalgia is a crippling disease.

Do it, user. Do it. Become grand and great. Get yourself into the Canon.