What does every kitchen need? I need to a list to stock mine up. I plan on cooking a lot

What does every kitchen need? I need to a list to stock mine up. I plan on cooking a lot

A heat source and some method (pan, skewer, grill, etc) to permit food to become cooked without being in the heat source.

Spices

Kosher salt
Pepper grinder
Frying pan
Saucepot
Cutting board
Chefs knife
stirring...spoon...things

Do you mean cookware or food or spices or utensils? A really generous sized cutting board (always take larger than what you think you will need) and a good 8'' or 9'' chef's knife, a bread knife and a cheap 3'' parer are a good start. Also a thrift peeler (not the "T" shaped ones"), spatulas, ladles, wooden spoons, kitchen tongs(!) and a whisk.

buy some metal bowls - two large ones, two medium ones, four to six small ones, but you can get the cheapest ones. They are invaluable for preparing ingredients and all kinds of other stuff in the kitchen

a large non-stick pan, a large stainless steel or cast iron/carbon steel pan, a large pot, a small pot.

i think every kitchen sink should have a strainer that you put in the sink so food particles dont go down

Scales
Microwaveable portion pots
Rice cooker
Wooden spoon and wooden chopping board, accept no substitutes.
Seconding tongs, can't overstate how useful they are.

Thanks folks, making a list
Cookware and utensils

Why wouldn't you want food particles to go down? Do you not have pic related?

Even with one of those honestly you should still have a strainer. No need putting your disposal through unnecessary wear and tear, and even when ground that stuff can still clog your pipes.

half the places ive lived dont have those. but like other user said the stuff can turn to sludge and build up anyway.

>unnecessary wear and tear,

Lol. Mine can literally handle a piece of 2x4 wood lumber fed down it. I saw the sales rep demonstrate this in person. Tiny little bits of food that require a strainer to catch certainly aren't a problem for it. That's what it's fucking for. Do you avoid sitting on your chairs because you're afraid of wear and tear on the seat? Or do you fucking sit on it because that's what it's for.

>>can still clog your pipes.
Maybe if you're a retard and you don't run water while you're doing it. I've been using them for 3 decades and never had a problem.

Immersion blender.

You can't use those when you're on a private septic system.

Sure you can. The house I am living in right now, and have lived in for 16 years, has an Aerobic septic system and I use the garbage disposal every day.

Why would you think that you couldn't use one on a septic system? Use your brain and think a little. If the septic system contains bacteria that break down solid waste then why could they not break down finely ground bits of food? What's the difference between little undigested bits of corn, etc, in your stool and finely ground bits of corn, etc, coming out of the disposal?

Cutting board (preferably wood or bamboo), chefs knife, paring knife, and a colander. Not to mention various spoons for stirring and spatulas. Oh and a can opener helps out a ton so do various sized mixing bowls.

But definitely make sure you have a large frying pan, you'll sorely want one when you only have a small one that is almost filled up by one large chicken breast.

I'm curious why you guys are recommending paring knives for home cook basics. What do you use them for? I cook very seriously--even doing catering--and I almost never need one. IMHO they're really only needed for carving fancy little garnishes which aren't really a thing for home cooking. What are you doing that requires a paring knife and cannot be done with a normal chef's knife?

I know they're not expensive or anything, but it seems like one of the last things a noob cook--or even most cooks--would need.

I guess if anything it comes down to growing up I'd peel the potatoes we'd eat with a pairing knife and I use it for if I want to skin tomatoes and do other work that requires (imo) delicate work.

I'm sure a peeler would work just fine, but growing up my mom never had one so I just learned how to use a pairing knife really well I guess. I also don't feel like I'm proficient enough with a chefs knife to do that type of stuff either.

I do use mine, but rarely - for cutting open plastic wrappings, cutting the corners off milk cartons, cutting out the stems from tomatoes, peeling off the skin from boiled potatoes etc.

It may just be my septic system then, it's a 3 chambered, aerated concrete tank where the treated effluent runs to sprinkler heads. It's using bacteria to break it down, though, like yours. I was my own contractor and hired my subs and my plumber said no garbage disposal as well as my septic installer, both licensed. Also 2 of my neighbors hired builders and against the builder's recommendation not to install one insisted on a garbage disposal. Their tanks went septic after @ 1 year and they had to have them completely pumped (normal is 3-4 years) and the repair/pumper company told them to take out the disposal and they never had any issues afterwards.

Fuck paying $350.00 per year for a pumping when I can get away with 4 years. I compost all vegetable waste so it would only be meat scraps anyway.

a waifu

Blender or food processor?

Knives
Place to store said knives
Cooking vessels
Mixing vessels
Measuring utensils
Spatula
Whisk
Slotted spoon