Anyone here works in the industry and absolutely loves it? tell me your story

anyone here works in the industry and absolutely loves it? tell me your story.

I work in the industry.
Cooking for myself is a full time job.

BA BUM TSSHHH ヽ(°〇°)ノ

Nobody says they love working in this shithole industry unless a camera is pointed at them.

What industry?

OP here. i love it. working in a 4* hotel buffet kitchen as a sous chef and can't wait to show up for work every single day.

You're on a fucking food and cooking imageboard website, dumbass.

So web development, obviously. Jeeze.

why?

>working in the industry
>"the industry"
god I hate these meme terms.

cocaine

God I hate the term meme

God I hate the phrase "god I hate the ___ ___"

I was a head chef in fine dining for 6 years.

I loved it but, after a while you're just doing office work and doing expo.

I left the business because the pay wasn't worth all the hours. 80k a year but, 14 hour days 6 days a week and 8 on Sunday. I was lucky to get one day off a month.

He's not lying

I really enjoy my job as a cook at a small family restaurant. My boss is really generous and always gives me raises and buys food for the staff. It also gets pretty slow some days so I'll just use our ingredients and experiment with my own recipes. If they're good I'll run them by the boss and he'll consider making it a special. So far I've had 4 of my recipes used. Nothing very fancy either. Just different tastes than what we usually sell or my tries at recreating things I remember my mom or grandma cooking for me as a kid. I get paid 18$ hourly just to mess around in a kitchen. It's just a part time job too.

>I was lucky to get one day off a month
fuck that.

Im assistant chef at a smallish(~30 meals a night) restaurant. Its a great job desu, it doesnt require any customer interaction, i get free food if i can be bothered to make something up, and the pay is alright(17$ an hour).
If you are semi autistic/a failed normie, i cant recommend this industry enough :)

the people that hate working in the industry are either burned out, never had passion or havent advanced their career. you should be advancing yourself as much as possible otherwise the repetition kills

____ _ ____ ___

I decided to just freelance the balls off myself... so while i technically work in the industry still, it's not the only industry I work in, and it's rarely 40h a week unless someone I like is in over their heads.

I help with catering - either prep, menu assistance, or expo/supervision. I do enjoy it, but I've found that even in the best of places, tempers flare and it only gets worse. This way, it's all kind of single-serving, and everyone has time to get over themselves before I'm back.

Literally everyone in every industry uses that "meme term". If you ever got a job you might learn this.

but what if they were just making fun of your hat?

that sounds cosy as fuck user

Uh, does bartending count as the industry? If so I'm a bartender and I fucking hate it. Used to love it but the novelty has worn off and now I just hate people in general. We serve food in the daytime too and all the chefs are miserable sods who argue nonstop. Well, I say "chefs".... they're microwave chefs really, but whatever.

Only perk of the job is sleeping with customers after the bar closes late at night.

>enjoy cooking
>get job as cook
>enjoy job
>eventually the fact that I have to be there day in and day out kills any enjoyment
>hardly even enjoy cooking at home anymore

I fucked up

I used to love it. Now I'm 37, trying to get out and do something food related but not a waiter. Maybe I can open my own place someday.

don't hate it, don't love it, but it's very fulfilling
im happy being a regular cook, would never want to be anyone's boss. my sous is always tired and anxious

Used to work at a food stand at AT&T Park, as a food prep for 5 years. Had to quit in July because I couldn't balance that and my bellman job.

Kinda miss it, but glad I left for the money at the hotel.

Been a pastry chef at a small restaurant for a few months without training whatsoever since I'm a paramedic, but I like it mos of the time. Living the night life is much easier when you work 1600-0200.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

>used to work 10+ hour shifts >worked 6 days a week
>worked every weekend
>worked almost every major holiday
>pay was very mediocre
>enjoyed it 80% of the time
>sense of accomplishment for the most part
>lots of good colleagues
>lots of shitty colleagues
>never saw my wife and kids

It's not a job for a family man. It asks a lot of you and when you finally do have free time, you're too tired or just checked out.

>work as a cook in a psychiatric center now
>get to cook whatever I want within a budget which I'm in charge of
>hours are perfect
>everybody loves me, patients and nurses
>is the best cooking I've ever done

I love my job.

how are your children?

They love that I have time for them now. I can go to their recitals, bake with them in the weekends, see them off to school in the morning, and be home for dinner every night.

My relationship with my wife is also the best it's ever been. Seeing her for literally 5 minutes a day was straining to say the least.

>my sous is always tired and anxious

That probably has more to do with the alcoholism/drug abuse.

Kinda the same I worked at a Neapolitan pizza restaurant for like a year. After bouncing around i interviewed for a high end buffet and was put in charge of a Neapolitan pizza station! Love what I do and work 75% less harder then when I was on the line cranking out pies

There was a point where I was pretty much against a wall and had to choose a career. I was thinking culinary school for a while...And then I went with doing xrays at a hospital. I think I would have liked culinary school to an extent...but as I looked into it, I saw that a huge part of the school was in how to run a kitchen in a restaurant commercially. I wanted to learn to cook good food, and about half the program was about doing kitchen inventories and making chedules for bartenders and waitresses. Yeah, cool--you learn to run a restaurant....but that's not what I wanted to do. I wanted to learn to cook amazing food.

So yeah... I do xrays at a hospital, and learn recipes from youtube.

I II II I_