If life is suffering and finite, why not just be comfy...

If life is suffering and finite, why not just be comfy? Why not just wrap myself in a warm blanket with the fire on and escape this horrid existence in some beautiful prose? Is there any genuinely good reasons to get a job, get married, have children etc.? It all seems like a lot of work and a lot of discomfort which is pointless because you're going to die anyway. Why not seek an easier form of comfort?

Also, please recommend me books about this feel. Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WKsSFAtL-W4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positivism
yorku.ca/dcarveth/guilt.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There is no reason not to. Of course you risk getting bored of this lifestyle and start actually craving things like an interesting occupation or a family and end up miserable because nobody is going to hire or marry a worthless neet. Hedonism has its limits and most people understand this by the time they're adults, but hey, it might just work out for you.

I had a job, money and girlfriends. Now I don't work. I just don't think it's all that great to participate in the system simply because that's how we were programmed to behave. This way, I have much more time to read and write, which is all I really care about anyway.

Nice OP pic.

I would argue that the good life requires self actualisation and that the best way to achieve some sort of self actualisation would be a balance between aesthetic and virtue.

the only book I can really think of that relates to your lifestyle would be against nature by huysmans.

It's already on my shelf because I buy all of the shit Veeky Forums recommends. I'll move it to the top of the reading list. Thank you

is that true?

I am glad that epicureanism is taking root in Veeky Forums

That among so many things as are by Men possessed or pursued in the Course of their Lives, all the rest are Bawbles, Besides Old Wood to Burn, Old Wine to Drink, Old Friends to Converse with, and Old Books to Read'.
-William Temple

What do any of these fucking words mean, jesus christ stop churning out meaningless jargon without explaining any of it.

which part?

>I'm don't know these words therefore they are meaningless
>on literature board considers self-actualization, aesthetics and virtue to be jargon

Yes, I would consider them to be jargon, especially with regard to lifestyle and idealogy.

Self actualisation in particular basically means nothing. How does aesthetic apply to consciousness? Are you talking about physical aesthetic? Aesthetics of thoughts?

And what of virtue? Why must it be balanced with aesthetic? Are they opposing in some way? Why?

Like, you appear to be the single biggest psued I have yet encountered on this board, you're like one of those new age sprituality types who spout a load of stupid words that you don't know the meaning of because it sounds profound.

>Self actualisation in particular basically means nothing.
Opinion discarded.

Clearly the main though was contraposition of actions performed solely to gain aesthetic pleasure and actual virtuous deeds. Self-actualization in context of philosophy and human needs is also very clearly defined. This isn't your high school reading club, so try and keep up, my angry friend. Maybe spend more time analyzing said things instead of colorfully projecting your insecurities.

>thinking self actualisation exists and is possible.

I am not the stupid one here.

I wrote the original post.

self actualisation means the realisation and fulfilling of the self. aesthetic means a system of principles of for the application of the beautiful. virtue is an ideal of personal qualities that are considered good. To be virtuous means to exert yourself to act in accordance with those qualities.

if you want to live a comfy life then you have to realise what it is you consider comfy. discovering what you find beautiful in life and what you consider a good way to act are at the heart of this realisation.

the book I mentioned demonstrates this by taking an aesthete hedonist as its case study. he spends his life on aesthetic principles, curating and filling his life with the food, smells, textures, and art, he believes to be beautiful. in the end it isn't enough. I believe because he ignored the other part of self realisation and that is which actions fulfil his ideals, he ignores virtue, whether that be his own happiness or the happiness of his children etc.

sorry for being a psud, I thought it was self-evident given the meaning of the words.

>i don't know what self-actualization means
>self-actualization means nothing
>self-actualization is impossible
Once again, fuck off back to whatever contrarian teenage shithole you crawled out of.

application is supposed to appreciation. /phoneposting.

The idea that the self is something that exists, can be realised and fulfilled is frankly absurd

A projection of someones ideas of the human psyche onto a fictional case. Not to be taken as a gospel on how to live your life.

yes, that's what literature and philosophy is for the most part. hence the qualifier, I would argue, if you have no argument then I don't know why you're replying with ignorance.

>trying to pass off your previous blatant retardation as quasiontological disagreement
You have to go back.

There was precisely no need for all of the vague jargon. Your argument could be summed up without vague concepts such as the self.

Act in accordance with your values and what you find to be good and enjoyable and you'll be happy.

This is fundamentally your worldview, yet you obfuscate it with needless jargon for some reason. Do you wish to seem intelligent on a manchurian cave painting forum?

virtue is literally impossible in the modern world. the most virtuous thing you can do is to isolate yourself from direct participation in it

>He doesn't understand virtue

self actualisation has nothing to do with the concept of the self.

no, that is not my argument. by removing the preciseness of the language, you have come up with a statement not related to my argument.

seem intelligent? I didn't think about it. I just replied to your post. what will appear intelligent isn't something I typically think about.

>hurr durr don't use hard words on muh funny asian meme site
I'm not the one who posted the opinion, not a philosophy student either, and I had zero trouble comprehending precisely what he meant.
>Act in accordance with your values and what you find to be good and enjoyable and you'll be happy.
>still misunderstanding the thought after it's been dissected and explained babby style
God, you're thick. Just switch board to a less 'pseud' one and discuss HIMYM with /tv/-intellectuals or something.

Virtue and honor are a thing of the past

youtube.com/watch?v=WKsSFAtL-W4

>also doesn't understand what virtue is

What the hell is scientism?
I see tossed around a bunch.

Pray tell, what it is then? Please write as much as possible.

the definition has already been covered.

Really made me think. Glad to see that so many on Veeky Forums are finally taking the Gnostic pill.

Good one.

Please explain. I really want to know what people mean when they say scientism.

I would like to live by myself, do nothing, and just chill out enjoying my favorite media. That is pretty much my idea of heaven. However, I can't do it in this life because I am too hung up on people judging me for it. I was NEET for a year and couldn't enjoy it at all because I knew everyone I knew was so disgusted by my laziness.

To those who can live a comfy NEET life without worrying what other people think, I admire you.

Scientism isn't a real term. What they actually mean is this.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positivism

sense of obligation will creep into you even subconsciously in the form of guild

yorku.ca/dcarveth/guilt.html

you'll hate yourself eventually; imagine C&P but instead of great-man theses and religious catharsis you got this shit and conflict of acknowledging yourself having done nothing

>guild

I needa to sleep

*guiltr

Couldn't you just isolate yourself or?

daily reminder freud was right that all you need is love and work. and that everyone wants to fuck your mum but that's a more regular reminder than daily with the amount of dicks she has to get through.

It seems like the polar opposite cancer that is relativism and postmodernism.

you sound like a pseudo-intellectual by sperging out on a post and acting like you're on higher ground. I'm only replying after I saw you arguing back and forth in your attempts to justify yourself. seriously fuck off to reddit, only person acting pseudo here is you

Well, if he truly only cares about reading and writing and nothing else he shouldn't have a problem.

However, much like you, I'm skeptical that this level of indifference is something achievable. Complete nihilism is an idealism desu.

Nobody would want to write themselves to death without having his work read. I, for one, think there's always a sense of selfishness to be found in writing.

**I mean not selfishness per se but that kind of vanity, to be found in writing

There's vanity to any type of creation. The poet is like a little god, something something.

Yeah, that is one thing that anyone can indulge in. Even OP is human.