ITT: overrated and underrated wine regions

ITT: overrated and underrated wine regions

Extremely overrated: New Zealand in general. Bad sauvignon blanc. Disappointing pinot noir. Sometimes the chardonnay can be ok but almost nothing else.

Extremely underrated: Ningxia. In 20 years their merlots will be considered more desirable than anything from Pomerol.

Other urls found in this thread:

winemag.com/2013/03/05/fantastic-finger-lakes-finds/
10best.com/awards/travel/best-wine-festival-2016/
theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/25/france-faces-worst-wine-grape-harvest-since-1945
independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-fake-food-sector-unlicensed-products-knock-offs-supply-chain-contamination-public-health-a7880341.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>gooks
>wine
LOL

All the New Zealand wine Ive had is decent.
Better wines in California, sure but it seems you're probably Australian or British and just trying to start something.

but you don't know anything about wine

you're just tasting the lead in chinese wine

>Chinese wine
I'd rather drink Sierra Leone black booster whisky

You can't outrun the French at wine anyway

t.french

Opinion on Chilean wines?

>Better wines in California, sure
0/10, California makes a few nice wines but in general their wines are Australia tier. Completely devoid of finesse. If I had to pick a US wine region to represent the way the US is perceived in say, one of the many countries the US has invaded over the last quarter century, I'd pick California. On the other hand if I was American and I wanted to pick a wine region to represent the US in a positive way, I certainly would avoid anywhere in California. You might want to look to Oregon or the Finger Lakes if your horizons are so narrow. You might be surprised at the great wine America can produce that flies under your radar
>it seems you're probably Australian or British
No

Australian detected.

Californian detected

There is no major differences between cheap and expensive wines. Wine tasters are literal liars. Find a cheap wine you like, remember that it tastes no different to a $2,000 bottle and enjoy. Numerous studies have been done on "wine tasters" and they're all liars or delusional

25 minutes, not bad but you really should write a bot for this

I agree.
Sure there are trained wine tasters that will tell you the grape, region, age etc just from sipping a random wine but that doesn't mean it doesn't taste any better than a $5 bottle.

>Wine tasters are literal liars.
Retard.

Why do plebs feel so threatened by fermented grape juice?

I'd say it's pretty difficult to outrun the French in general, especially in a war.

And no amount of snobbery is going to change the fact that the kids are teaching the old dogs new tricks. Non-European winemakers are raising standards everywhere in Europe, to the benefit of drinkers.

Moderately Underrated: North Carolina

Sauvignon Blanc is the most basic bitch wine, but you're still an idiot for saying NZ is bad at it. There are countless great ones coming out of Marlborough.

Try the same wine twice, but one aged bottle and one recent. A retard could tell the difference

Cigarettes and wine, a fine choice.

>I get all my cultural information via buzzfeed.
Faggot.

>Sure there are trained wine tasters that will tell you the grape, region, age etc
This is wrong
>get tricked into buying expensive wines by blatant lies
>call others plebs
Pick one

It's an anglophone thing. Inbred hillbillies who don't know about the Battle of Hastings are still falling victim to 1000 year old cultural baggage

>thinks the NEET board can afford $2000 wine
You sound like you've had a few too many bottles of DRC La Tache tonight, fellow 1%er

>pleb is a synonym for gullible
Retard.

>Non-European winemakers are raising standards everywhere in Europe, to the benefit of drinkers.

You're a fucking retard. The whole problem with way too many non Euro wine makers is that they all go for the same typical imitation Bordeaux style. I might almost agree with that fuckwit in , it all tastes the same. Benefit of drinkers my ass.

>implying "expensive" wine means it costs $2,000 or more
>implying pleb isn't colloquial for a stupid person
Both plebs

>I'm too lazy to shop for wine, therefore the shitty bordeaux style blends I pick up at Safeway are all that exist
Well that settles it, all vines planted outside of France should be immediately destroyed

>bitch and moan about $2000 wine
>oh but I didn't mean $2000!
The goalposts moving part is always good for about 25-30 posts. Let's see how far you can deflect this.

Pleb isn't colloquial for a stupid person.
Retard is and you my son, are a massive fucking retard.

>implying pleb isn't colloquial for a stupid person
/tv/ tier levels of idiocy going on today.

>Spewing the "French banana monkey surrender" meme because you are a bait with no argument

You are speaking about one of the country with the most victory to loss ratio

Sage

>he can't think critically nor does he have the power of abstract thought to help him realize a single example doesn't define the argument it's making
Literal autism
>too much of a brainlet to realize that the commoners and lower class are dumber than those ruling them hence pleb being synonymous with stupid
Sad!

Plebs BTFO

Every wine I've ever had from China has been worse than $4 box wine in the us.

And I lived in China for 4 years being wined and dined by communist officials.
The best Chinese wine I had, I found out was French that they had put into a Chinese label for the prestige.

this has the be a troll thread, if anything new zealand's sauvignon blancs are underrated

>Californian
>Knowing another state exists, let alone beats them at something
This man is from literally anywhere that isnt California. As someone who grew up on Keuka Lake, I will happily shill our wines.

winemag.com/2013/03/05/fantastic-finger-lakes-finds/

10best.com/awards/travel/best-wine-festival-2016/

>Because some wines are over prices more expensive ones can't be better.

They're bretty gud usually.

has anyone had wines from less popular regions like georgia or bulgaria or grease?

>>>grease

georgia and greece make good wine
bulgarian wine isn't even good to cook with

>pleb is synonymous with stupid
Did any of you idiots actually go to school?

any brands you can recommend? all i know of georgian wine is that it comes in these great looking bottles made to resemble amphoras

Try some Moldavian Wine.

Anyone like malbec?

As long as it's not Argentinian.
We don't buy argentine products here.

Good, fuck Argentina

mah nigga

The Greeks can certainly make good wine but I've only ever had it in Greece. Maybe they just don't export the good stuff.

Being a Brit i'm probably biased, but English wine has come a long way. Thanks to global warming, it might get even better too.

i've seen this so many times now, but might as well get the usual observations out of the way.

>label is fucking taped on
>sierra leone
>best by date
>entire thing costs about $3
>antifreeze jug
>"premium quality"
>high alcohol content, but could potentially make you blind with the other shit in the jug
>this is the only known picture of it, and it's viral.

did i miss anything?

basically this
cahors has predy gud 'bec

Underrated wine countries:
Austria
Greece
Lebanon
Morocco (good luck finding the great wines they make in Meknes)

Overrated:
California
Oregon
Australia
New Zealand
Chile
Argentina

>underrated
Georgian wines
Valais in Switzerland
Sicily, Friuli, Veneto
Stellenbosch
UK sparkling blancs des blancs
Croatian whites

I agree about Croatian whites. Georgian wines are very well respected if you live in a place where you can get them. Same is true of Friuli and Swiss wines in general.

Who /rioja/ here

Bitches love Rioja

Pretty sure they've won a few international wine comps and just started making the stuff with grapes not too long ago

Wine is a thing among Chinese people. It's a symbol of success to them, like having a piano in your house or owning a car. For the most part they are not exactly connoisseurs, but they are very interested in it. Which means they're working out how to make decent wine themselves. Given the resources they're putting into it they'll be doing it before long.

Wine ""experts"" literally can't tell the difference between red wine and dyed white wine.

To add on, they can't even sip the same wine without scoring it differently so some random cu/ck/'s opinions are even more worthless.

Wine is a sensory experience. Color, scent and the feel in the mouth are as much of the experience as the taste of it. You wouldn't recognize a friend if they changed their skin, hair and eye color.

How far you get into a tasting really has an effect on your perception. This is why big, fruity, highly alcoholic wines tend to get high Parker scores. Because by the time you get halfway through a large tasting that's all you can taste.

I work in the business, and before we choose a wine we taste it several times, and compare it to other wines on our list to make sure it stands up. I would never select a wine after trying it only once. That said, many wines are obviously mediocre or terrible, and you can tell those with just one taste.

While it is true there is a lot of BS in the wine industry it's not 100% BS. Everyone makes mistakes. Do you look at a pro footballer who misses a goal and think that he's always a fuckup because of one specific miss?

I've read the whole study that the famous "cant tell red from white" came from. While that is a very interesting point, that same study is filled with some amazing demonstrations of being able to identify wines double-blind. Yet people always tend to focus on what's shocking out of context. It makes for great clickbait/sound bytes. But it's sure as fuck not the whole picture.

I recently got into Saint Emilion (Bordeaux) wines, now my fav.

Yes, Rioja great with grilled meats

theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/25/france-faces-worst-wine-grape-harvest-since-1945

HAHAHAHA Holy shit, dude. It doesn't matter what it tastes like it is only to get you drunk.

This has been proven to be true on a number of occasions doing blind fold tests. They always pick the cheap wines as the ones they like.

The problem with blind tasting is that no one drinks wine with a blindfold on. The color is part of the experience.
>They always pick the cheap wines
That shouldn't be a surprise. Modern winemaking makes it possible to make cheap wine that's very good. Remember the price of a bottle of wine has as much to do with its scarcity as its quality. For example, Grand Cru Burgundy has a reputation for being exceptional. But it's made in very limited amounts. So it's expensive. It's entirely possible to make a much cheaper Pinot Noir that's just as good. What your paying for with the Grand Cru is the best example of that vintage from a region famous for great Pinot Noir. That isn't a guarantee it's better than all cheaper bottles out there. It just means it will be good for those who have that kind of money to spend.

cheap wines are designed to do two things:
1. win awards
2. be approachable
if you screen a spielberg flick and an antonioni film to a general audience guess which one will appeal to more people
don't feel you have to pretend to like things you don't just because they cost more. a smoky salty whisky isn't going to go over well with all drinkers like a smooth glass of makers mark or a sweet glass of balvenie. a reindeer tartare won't appeal to someone accustomed to whoppers junior
enjoy what you enjoy and try not to get butthurt over what others may be enjoying independent of you

Why are you so high on Chinese wines OP? When I lived there ~7 years ago there was a lot of counterfeit wine and just garbage domestic offerings. Not that they couldn't have improved in that time but I was less than impressed

Go back to bed, Wong.

>The problem with blind tasting is that no one drinks wine with a blindfold on.

Except that is exactly what they did since it was only a taste test.

That's a shitty analogy. Also, wine is supposed to taste good. Just because the $2k bottle tastes like yeasty piss doesn't mean it is any good. People literally have buyer's remorse so bad that they believe it must be good for that price.

This is why I make my own wines. I can tailor them to my specific tastes and it costs all of nearly nothing to make.

>Ningxia
>China

Uhhh.....uhhhhhhh......no. I'll never knowingly eat/drink anything that comes from China, even if I were in China. Especially, wine. Why? Because, I don't trust a damn thing that comes from China.

independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-fake-food-sector-unlicensed-products-knock-offs-supply-chain-contamination-public-health-a7880341.html

>“Statistically we’re uncovering fraud about 70 percent of the time, but in China it’s very close to 100 percent,” he said. “It’s pervasive, it’s across food groups, and it’s anything you can possibly imagine.”

Supposed to "taste good" to someone, sure. Someone =\= You
A lot of folks hate oxidative sherries
A lot of folks hate dry tannic wines
A lot of folks hate sweet wines
A lot of folks love any or all of the above
Stop pretending that eating and drinking is a video game where you "win" based on the price tag

kadco is real and their current offerings do feature the "black" line (black commando for one) but booster is very elusive.

>Statistically we’re uncovering fraud about 70 percent of the time, but in China it’s very close to 100 percent says Weinberg
what the fuck is the filthy kike trying to say? where does the 70 percent figure come from? what is it referring to? sleazy fucking jew, speak plainly

You have no clue what you are talking about.

>Stop pretending that eating and drinking is a video game where you "win" based on the price tag

That's the most ironic thing I've read all day, kid.

Right. And taste is the biggest part of the experience of drinking wine, but not the entire experience. To me it seems too reductive to be meaningful.

great shitpost but you forgot to say "cuck" and "my wife's son"
try again and it will be an epic win

IDK about all Dingo wines but I fucking love everything I've tasted from 19 Crimes.

Low yield = great wine
1945 was one of the best vintages of the last century
When will plebs learn?